Accelerated Evolution

Gun control, hunting, gun ownership and ease of access... Thoughts?

I personally feal that too many people today are needlessly afraid of guns. A firearm is a tool which, if used responsibly, is almost totally safe. Guns are one of those things that, to me it seems, there aren't a whole lot of people sitting on the fence for; most people are either wildly pro-guns, or else feel threatened by them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be your right to own a firearm. However, to use a firearm should not be. You must take proper tests, as with driving, to assure you are capable of firearm use. Criminals are always going to break this rule, it's inescapable. You ban knives, criminals will have knives. That's just how things work.

Standard gun control is a farce, allowing the black market in firearms to thrive while severely restricting access to responsible citizens with legitimate reasons to own weaponry- be it sports, hunting, or genuine concern for their safety.

Gun control concerning kids, schools and public areas? Perfectly reasonable- especially given that kids simply aren't mature enough, period, to handle such a high-risk tool. But if you want to cut down gun-related deaths in environments where the black market is already thriving by forcing legitimate sellers and customers to jump through an ever-increasing series of loops for even a pack of .22 caliber bullets, all the money going into that bureaucratic nightmare is probably better used to, say, crack down on illegitimate dealers- of which are significantly more directly involved with the actual use of firearms in homicides or other crimes.

Only after the black market is made inviable could truly effective gun control laws be enacted- but at that point, a simple psychological profile should be enough to weed out the big risks from the average weekend target shooter.

The only folks I know that feel threatened by firearms, are those that don't own any. I grew up around guns, and learned how to shoot when I was 12. Never had any problem with them. Too many folks believe what they see on TV and in the movies. If you want to know about guns, ask a gun owner....

Hell, ask your local boy scout if you want to learn gun safety. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of us finishes the rifle and shotgun merit badges during their very first summer camp- pending physical eligibility, of course, given that most younger scouts'll end up flat on their asses from just one shot from a twelve-gauge shotgun.

They drill the basic safety tips into us. Repeatedly. Incessantly. Then they make us take a pass-fail test. ...it's a very, very easy test, actually, given that gun safety isn't hard at all, and only a complete moron that is also a shit-faced drunkard could possibly screw it up.

And even at that point, anybody at all that's ever fired a decently high-caliber weapon knows exactly how much power can reside in a tiny little bullet or shell- it doesn't take Hollywood's gallons of blood and gore to cultivate a proper appreciation of a gun's potentials. You don't learn to fear the weapon- it remains, after all, a tool of empowerment- but you definitely learn to respect it.

Only a child's naivete or severe mental impairment could ever possibly excuse- or cause- gun-related accidents.

Here's what I think on the matter.

In one of the roleplaying games I play, guns exist. It's a sort of steampunk universe. So there's like flintlocks, basically. Almost every player in the group has at least one. My character happens to have three.

This is highly illegal. If my character were caught with three guns he would be thrown in jail or fined. The reason is that a person with more than two guns could concievably be raising an army or something, plus the (admittedly fictional) government believes that guns are too dangerous to be allowed in mass quantities.

Yesterday on the bus a man sitting near me was bragging that he owned fifteen guns of varying types (handguns, rifles, what have you).

Who the fuck needs fifteen guns?

For another comparison, I have three guitars. To me, this is an absurdly large amount. I know one guitar player with five, who was a professional for most of his life (he's sixty). I play at least one of my guitars every day. Most people with guns do not fire their guns every day. I ask you again, who needs fifteen guns?

Who needs more than one gun, really?

I'd move for much stricter gun control. I can't really think of any (realistic) situations where I would need or want a gun. And if guns absolutely have to be legal, for no good reason, I think, then why not limit the amount of guns owned?

The right to bare arms was meant to strengthen the American people's right to rebel against the government. To replace a corrupt government you need weapons to defend yourself with since it will more than likely start a war. However, that's become profoundly impossible since the government's become far too powerful to be over thrown by it's people.

The right to bare arms was meant to strengthen the American people's right to rebel against the government. To replace a corrupt government you need weapons to defend yourself with since it will more than likely start a war. However, that's become profoundly impossible since the government's become far too powerful to be over thrown by it's people.

Also this.

Yesterday I bought one of these at a local sporting goods store.

Its a Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS. Why did I buy this? First, because I am interested in doing a little hunting (read: walking around in the woods) this fall. Secondly, I bought it because I felt I must. I consider myself responsible enought to own, operate and maintain a tool that if used properly if the need was great enough, could protect my life or the lives of others. I pray I am never in a situation like that, but as a former Boy Scout I still live by the motto; "Be Prepared".

A government is never too powerful to be overthrown; you just need to act at the right moment…

Also, stricter hand gun control, I see little legitimate need for them but am not about to refuse a law-abiding citizen’s right to own one.

Who the fuck needs fifteen guns?

Some people like to collect guns, which is something I completely understand. Look at someone like Jay Leno, the man has dozens of cars, and you can be damn well sure he doesn't drive or tinker with everyone of them everyday, he just loves cars. On the same note, some people love guns (hopefully from a mechanical and historical perspective, and not a killing people perspective).

Ours is.

Nah. Our government is run by a bunch of idiots. People need to be properly motivated to overthrow the government, and frankly we're not that oppressed yet.

This is the most valid and correct statement i have read in SD&D.

But the problem isn't responsible citizens who have taken all their gun safety courses and are completely sane individuals and aren't going to do anything wrong.

To make a bad metaphor, it's like a building code. Sure, you could trust that contractors are going to build safe buildings. Or you could pass laws to make sure that they do it.

here's the way i see it, Guns and people who have guns are not out of control. I really fail to see why everyone thinks its such a huge problem. So, you dont feel safe with guns around, tough shit, people have the right to own modern weapons. Buy one and learn to use it, stop trying to control the rest of the populace.

here's the way i see it, Guns and people who have guns are not out of control. I really fail to see why everyone thinks its such a huge problem. So, you dont feel safe with guns around, tough shit, people have the right to own modern weapons. Buy one and learn to use it, stop trying to control the rest of the populace.

Michigan Militias been rubbing off on you, eh?

This is a conflict of interest.

You want to maximize freedom. Well where the fuck is my freedom to live without fear of getting shot?