Accelerated Evolution

Zegapain

I'm lazy and lack the apropraite screencaps, so I'll let Wiki do the talking:

Zegapain is an anime television series produced by Sunrise, known for also producing Gundam, My-Otome and My-Hime. The main character is Kyo Sogoru, a high school boy living in a city called Maihama, who leads a normal life of school, romance, and the swim club. Kyo's life changes when he sees a girl, Shizuno Misaki, at the pool one day and discovers he is initially the only person who can see her. He is drawn into a world of fighting giant robots in a game-like world. However, Kyo soon comes to realize that the world that he is living in might not even be real at all. The first episode was aired on April 6, 2006.

Anyway its a pretty neat show. Initially it seems like a really cheesy tie-in for the X-Box 360 game by the same name, but it quickly developes its own voice right around the 6th episode:

caution: major spoiler

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
vlcsnap-34136.jpg

vlcsnap-34325.jpg

vlcsnap-34611.jpg

vlcsnap-35672.jpg

The show manages to get some good characterization and a good scripte, focusing alot on the nature of reality without becoming too pretentious or overblown in the process. The only downside is that the animation and mecha design a pretty weak by comparison.

Here are some spoiler-free caps:

Zegapainep13Kaminagisass.jpg

Kaminagi Ryoko's ass is supurb

Zegapainep13meow.jpg

Thier are no actual furries on this show

vlcsnap-302208.jpg

Kyo can say some pretty emo things from time to time...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...