Accelerated Evolution

Hurricanes

Nega-Brent

I have a newly discovered love and respect for the mighty force of nature we call the "hurricane." Ever since the mutliple hurricanes Florida recieved and Katrina everyone has gotten so paniced that they're even going ape shit over tropical storms. My new love affair stems from the announcement I recieved today stating that my classes were canceled due to tropical storm Ernesto.

w00tage

PFFFT.

...But to be fair, even though it SOUNDS ridiculous that they're closing schools for a lil' tropical storm, it IS dropping a shit ton of water and probably lots of side roads are going to be flooded (all sorts of flash flood warnings out for Greenville,) and thus the school transit system won't be able to function, thus it makes sense to close the school. And remember, even a little tropical storm can do a lot of damage. When half the state of NC was flooded and there was massive property loss (for instance, MY CAR) and loss of life and a state of emergency was declared for the whole damned state, it happened because of one tropical storm and one very low-level hurricane. If it keeps dumping water, that can be just as bad as a "serious" storm.

But for the record, I do agree with you, the panic over storms this year has been absurd. xD

PFFFT.

...But to be fair, even though it SOUNDS ridiculous that they're closing schools for a lil' tropical storm, it IS dropping a shit ton of water and probably lots of side roads are going to be flooded (all sorts of flash flood warnings out for Greenville,) and thus the school transit system won't be able to function, thus it makes sense to close the school. And remember, even a little tropical storm can do a lot of damage. When half the state of NC was flooded and there was massive property loss (for instance, MY CAR) and loss of life and a state of emergency was declared for the whole damned state, it happened because of one tropical storm and one very low-level hurricane. If it keeps dumping water, that can be just as bad as a "serious" storm.

But for the record, I do agree with you, the panic over storms this year has been absurd. xD

But, most of Florida is built to withstand hurricane weather. Unlike Louisianna, we pretty much expect one to hit us every now and then. Our roads aren't that easily flooded, it would take at least a day or two of nonstop rain to flood them. I attended school during tropicals storms a couple of times. We would sit in our class rooms and watch debris fly around from the trash cans people left outside.