Accelerated Evolution

Midterm elections…

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a bet going on with a Canadian friend as to whether or not Lieberman'll be reelected.

It doesn't matter who wins. We'll both end up sloshed. >_>

As for me? I'm Californian- my Senators haven't been complete and utter embarrassments... except perhaps Feinstein once in a blue moon, but it's not as if she has any real political influence.

My rep, however, does have fairly good influence, and has been using it fairly proficiently. Status quo for me, please.

• 1 month later...

*is wearing a Ned Lamont pin*

I have 2 problems with Lamont:

he is a one issue candidate, he is anti-war but not pro-anything and he seems to have about as much political experience as I do…

im not sure that I really like Lieberman, but I don’t think that I would vote for Lamont

I have 2 problems with Lamont:

he is a one issue candidate, he is anti-war but not pro-anything and he seems to have about as much political experience as I do…

im not sure that I really like Lieberman, but I don’t think that I would vote for Lamont

Two things going for Lamont:

1) He has a reasonable military platform

2) He isn't Lieberman

Fuck voting! Thats exactly what those facist pigdogs want you to do. Continue fostering the illusion that you have choice in your chains.

People will only revolt if they believe they have no other way to change the government, spread the truth belial, lead us to our freedom!!!

Fuck voting! Thats exactly what those facist pigdogs want you to do. Continue fostering the illusion that you have choice in your chains.

What, are you trying to argue that you're doing something more productive with your time than voting?

Voting isn't the end-all, be-all of political activism, but it's still an integral part of it. If you're going to fight the powers-that-be, you do it from all angles, be it as minor as casting a simple vote, or as major as organizing a political takeover. The trite saying "Don't vote? Don't bitch!" may have its flaws, but its sentiments run true enough- those that don't even bother to express an opinion have no right to even a feeble "I told you so" when it all goes to shit.

So stop being a fucking apathetic twat-wit and vote already.

What, are you trying to argue that you're doing something more productive with your time than voting?

Voting isn't the end-all, be-all of political activism, but it's still an integral part of it. If you're going to fight the powers-that-be, you do it from all angles, be it as minor as casting a simple vote, or as major as organizing a political takeover. The trite saying "Don't vote? Don't bitch!" may have its flaws, but its sentiments run true enough- those that don't even bother to express an opinion have no right to even a feeble "I told you so" when it all goes to shit.

So stop being a fucking apathetic twat-wit and vote already.

Apathetic Twat-Wit? You obviously haven't read many of my political posts before.

I've voted in the past (2004), but when they tell you that you're vote matters they're lying. The are elections that are rigged, they're are ballots that are false. And even if all of voting was legit, it doesn't even matter because none of the canidates are. They're all full of shit, regardless of what side of the asile they sit on. If I do anything this November 2nd it will be standing outside of a polling location picketing.

Apathetic Twat-Wit? You obviously haven't read many of my political posts before.

I've voted in the past (2004), but when they tell you that you're vote matters they're lying. The are elections that are rigged, they're are ballots that are false. And even if all of voting was legit, it doesn't even matter because none of the canidates are. They're all full of shit, regardless of what side of the asile they sit on. If I do anything this November 2nd it will be standing outside of a polling location picketing.

Are you speaking of national or local-level politics when you make that claim? Because, if you'll allow me to point out, there's a vast difference between the two. The grassroots political movement is not to be underestimated- mostly because of how blatant their effects are at the local level. Hunter S. Thompson's mantra "politics is the art of controlling your environment" is especially true when you're rallying support against your local mayor's nefarious deeds, your school board's shitheaded budgeting, or against an out-of-control police force. And at the local level, given how comparatively few votes there are, your vote makes a big and legitimate difference in the local area's quality of life.

At the national level, political change is admittingly a vastly more difficult task, requiring either a national conspiracy, or natural societal change. But either are still dependent on a grassroots foundation to pull off- national change may happen at a glacial, and immediately unobservable, pace, but it does happen. Anybody who thinks life was any better- or that the political climate was any less corrupt- fifty years ago is in serious need of retaking high school history.

And if you are taking high school history? Hit that textbook harder.

So, in summary? Stop whining about how corrupt and unvotable those working in national politics are- they aren't the ones liable to pop a cap through your skull out of whim and recklessness. It's the local faces of authority that should be your primary concern- and conversely, they are also the ones you can exert the most influence over. Political change is from the ground up- change things for the better at home, and everything else will follow.

Are you speaking of national or local-level politics when you make that claim? Because, if you'll allow me to point out, there's a vast difference between the two. The grassroots political movement is not to be underestimated- mostly because of how blatant their effects are at the local level. Hunter S. Thompson's mantra "politics is the art of controlling your environment" is especially true when you're rallying support against your local mayor's nefarious deeds, your school board's shitheaded budgeting, or against an out-of-control police force. And at the local level, given how comparatively few votes there are, your vote makes a big and legitimate difference in the local area's quality of life.

At the national level, political change is admittingly a vastly more difficult task, requiring either a national conspiracy, or natural societal change. But either are still dependent on a grassroots foundation to pull off- national change may happen at a glacial, and immediately unobservable, pace, but it does happen. Anybody who thinks life was any better- or that the political climate was any less corrupt- fifty years ago is in serious need of retaking high school history.

And if you are taking high school history? Hit that textbook harder.

So, in summary? Stop whining about how corrupt and unvotable those working in national politics are- they aren't the ones liable to pop a cap through your skull out of whim and recklessness. It's the local faces of authority that should be your primary concern- and conversely, they are also the ones you can exert the most influence over. Political change is from the ground up- change things for the better at home, and everything else will follow.

No?

Local politics, national politics, it doesn't mater. Its a system that can not be beaten from the inside out.

"All voting," says Thoreau, "is a sort of gaming, like checkers, or backgammon, a playing with right and wrong; its obligation never exceeds that of expediency. Even voting for the right thing is doing nothing for it. A wise man will not leave the right of the mercy of chance, nor wish it to prevail through the power of the majority."

Tell you what, you vote, I'll do, and we'll see who gets anything done.

I'm tempted to agree with both of you.

My problem is that I know what I want the world to look like, but I also know that there are many people who disagree with me. Therefore, what's right for me isn't right for everyone.

In a true democracy there are no votes. I don't want to vote and force the majority on people who don't want it... That's what's happening to me right now, and just because someone is a conservative fuck doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to live how they want.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm amused at the Minnesotan Republican incumbent Mark Kennedy, because he seems to have no platform of his own. Every single ad I've seen from him has been doing nothing but attacking Amy Klobuchar (the democrat). She's leading in the polls. She would get my vote, too, if I was a few months older.

https://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=374