Accelerated Evolution

Any Ska fans?

Baltar

alot of new england listens to ska especially where I am in CT. I dont like ska at all, I've seen the band Less then Jake with my ex and I thought they were energetic but thats it, as far as the music it really didnt do anything. Sublime is as far ska I as I really dive, and I dont even like Sublime all that much.

I agree with baltar. Less than jake sucks.

Your two best bets are

Catch-22

Streetlight Manifesto

Streetlight manifesto just happened to re-do Catch22's first album, (which is a ska classic). The lead singer of Streetlight (thomas kalnoky) originally headed up catch-22. Those are pretty much the only ska bands worth listening too for the time being.

I love the AquaBats first two albums. after that it gets really old really fast, and far to cheesy and off the wall.

The later Aquabats albums turn into electronica albums, but I still like the new sound as well as the old.

Saying "less then Jake" is real ska is like saying "A Static Lullaby" is good Metalcore

I forgot about "Catch-22". Rock can you up-load some "Streetlight manifesto" for me?

i would love too, but im on dial-up, if you want, i could just send you A Data CD with all me ska Via the mail. You know, in one of those bigg orangeish Brown Envelopes.

PM me your address

Kzoo has some pretty good Ska shows that come into town. It's nice to see them tour on this side of the state.

• 1 month later...

Take what Anime Gee said to heart... Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra are some of the most talented musicians on the goddamned planet. No exaggeration. Very reminiscent of Tower of Power, which is likening them to God. They do some hilarious covers, and their hornplayers blow away any of the poppier "ska" bands out there. Hell, they blow away most contemporary jazz horn players.

This thread seems to be more about the Reel Big Fishy type ska though...

• 4 weeks later...

Take what Anime Gee said to heart... Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra are some of the most talented musicians on the goddamned planet. No exaggeration. Very reminiscent of Tower of Power, which is likening them to God. They do some hilarious covers, and their hornplayers blow away any of the poppier "ska" bands out there. Hell, they blow away most contemporary jazz horn players.

This thread seems to be more about the Reel Big Fishy type ska though...

Sorry about that. :sad: So, any other recommendations... I meant other than Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra!

Um... if you are looking along the more popular lines, like Reel Big Fish, the only bands I can TRULY recommend with a straight face are Kemuri (also Japanese) and Spring Heeled Jack. Everything else is fairly cringeworthy.

Kemuri are the standout of the entire 3rd wave of ska, and they're trombone player is a fairly famous Japanese jazz boner. Any Jazz chops puts a band fairly high on my lists of recommendations. Let alone I saw them live when I was in Japan, and for a ska band, their guitarist shreds something fierce.

As for Spring Heeled Jack, they have some mighty awesome jazz sensibilities to them, that seperate them from the pack. And if you know anything about the "big 3" of pop-ska (Bosstones, RBFish, and Less than Jake), you know all 3 have a horn player that used to be in SHJ. Super talented fellows, although they broke up quite a while ago.

Now if you are interested in more first and second wave ska... which is essentially contemporary jazz which was raped by reggae, I have a few more (New York Ska Jazz Ensemble and Ocean 11 specifically). But not too many... not a big fan of the genre on the whole.

But as I said before... Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra is the creme de la creme of the genre. BY FAR.