Accelerated Evolution

The Value of "Good Taste"

amy

As you all know it is possible to train your senses and discern between lower and higher quality things, like people (edit: this is as you perceive quality! i don't think anyone is highest quality of course), food, music, and entertainment. Or, some people just discern more easily by nature. Some like everything, and some prefer what might be lower quality (e.g. McDonalds hamburger vs fancy hamburger)

For the purposes of this thread, let's say all music genres are equal in taste value, and taste is discerning beween the good and bad examples of that genre.

Do you have good taste? Are you happy with your taste? Do you believe a positive or negative value can be attached to these things? Have you ever made a conscious effort to change your preferences? Do you think good taste matters in some matters but not others? Which ones? Do you look down on people with different taste?

and nobody pull that DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM thing

Do you have good taste? Do you have bad taste? Are you happy with your taste? Do you believe a positive or negative value can be attached to these things? Have you ever made a conscious effort to change your preferences? Do you think good taste matters in some matters but not others? Which ones? Do you look down on people with better/worse taste?

and nobody pull that DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM thing

“There’s no disputing about taste.”

“There’s no accounting for taste.”

Haven't heard that in a while! Hahaahaha!

Well, I have some pretty good taste according to a lot of people that know me. I might have bad taste in a few things. Yes. I'm pretty happy with my taste in things. Yeah. You can attach a positive or negative value to tastes. Once in a while I try to "broaden" my horizons & try different tastes. Good taste should matter all the time, like when you have to go to a formal dinner or some event. You don't want to show up with jeans & seakers to a wedding or funeral, but you don't want to show up with a tuxedo to a house party or a rock concert. I don't really care what tastes people have. Whatever floats their boat is fine with me. (^o^ )

I'm just going to throw this out there that I wish I'd never had this amazing cappucino I bought at a fancy store with friends, because now I think of its ghost whenever I drink coffee. And some people tell you you should reach as high as you can in foods but I think you should really train yourself to love the cheapest thing.

1) Do you have good taste?

2) Are you happy with your taste?

3) Do you believe a positive or negative value can be attached to these things?

4) Have you ever made a conscious effort to change your preferences?

5) Do you think good taste matters in some matters but not others?

6) Which ones?

7) Do you look down on people with different taste?

1) Yes, for the most part.

2) Most definately!

3) There can be positive or negative. For example, if you like Slipknot and think they rock, your taste in music sucks, but if you like Slipknot and admit they aren't exactly grand, it's cool.

4) Yes. XD;;

5) Yes, sometimes.

6) When you're trying to give people advice and you suggest a bunch of crap bands. Stuff like that.

7) Sometimes... >.>

A lot of my friends say I have bad taste in music. I just don't have too many friends who like the same things, I guess. One of my friends told me that I have good taste in music except for metal (he doesn't like metal) but that if he ever got into metal he supposes I listen to the good stuff. I'm not even that much into metal, but compared to pretty much everyone else I know I'm a huge metalhead.

Taste is a funny thing.

I think at its core, taste is about making people feel comfortable. For example if my friend who didn't like metal was coming over, I wouldn't put some Sunn O))) on the speaker system. However, if my wonderful amazing girlfriend was coming over we would listen to Sunn O))) for hours.

Like Gee said, wearing suits to formal affairs etc is just another part of that. Making people comfortable.

I try not to hate people with different tastes in anything. For example I was talking with this dude across the hall about music and he mentioned that he listened to Panic! At the Disco, which I confused with At The Drive In (forgive me -_-), which I was harboring some interest in, so I ended up listening to Panic! At the Disco, which is really bad IMO. This is the same dude who listens to Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold. I really don't want to dislike him because he's a pretty cool guy but he really likes bad music -_-...

Things like that just annoy me. When I find out people like things I don't I can get really elitist really fast. I've gotten into shouting matches with one of my best friends over music (I love Sunn O))) and hate Dylan, he swears by Dylan and thinks Sunn O))) is the worst thing to happen to music). And I really hate that.

Starbucks is not that bad, but yeah. those private little coffee houses have some of the best blends. Like this one little coffee shop that's nestled in this small private street that reminds me of early America that's just below foothills of my local canyons. Everytime that I'm about to go flog my car in the canyons, I stop by that shop for some coffee! I can't even remember what it's called right now. Hahahaha! But yeah. I'll probably go there tongiht before I go do some "illegal" driving. Hahahaha! (^o^ ) <3