Accelerated Evolution

America bans Vegemite.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

There's no accounting for taste

October 21, 2006 12:00am

Article from: The Sunday Times

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.

Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.

Fuck you emot-amerikkka.gif for telling me what I can or cannot eat!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i just did a wiki on folic acid and vegemite, and this whole ban seems rediculous. i dont understand why they would do it. it doesnt seem logical that customs would waste their time searching for vegemite when theres a war on terror.

there seems to be two answers. usa is trying to damage austrailian economy by slowing placing embargos on their yeast spreads, their chief export which runs the Austrailian stock markets. unliekly.

unless of course, vegemite has the consistancy of liquids (it seems to be a spread which is colloidal, and is close enough to liquids) and some renegade austrailian reporter is claiming bullshit that her vegemite jar was taken away at the border because she needs to have 5 cans on her at all time to wax her vagina with even though everyone knows liquids are under strict ban right now. very, very likely.

Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture, and various vegetable and spice additives. The taste is difficult to describe but is extremely salty and slightly bitter, and as might be expected, malty, similar to the taste of beef bouillon.

Christ on a Crotch-Rocket! Let's get this ban reversed, because that just sounds so goddamned delicious! [/the heaviest fucking sarcasm imaginable]

i'm with arsie on this one. With America realizing we need to be healthy, Vegemite is pretty much an obstruction of health. While banning anything is never the answer to get people to stop doing something, it makes sense as to why it was banned.

I don't care about health conciousness, that's a personal responsiblity.

Vegemite just sounds disgusting. The first image to appear in my head as I read Wiki's description was a Vegemite plant full of hookers spreading their legs and employees collecting the yeast.

i'm with arsie on this one. With America realizing we need to be healthy, Vegemite is pretty much an obstruction of health. While banning anything is never the answer to get people to stop doing something, it makes sense as to why it was banned.

Anything can be an obstruction of health if not properly managed!

I don't care about health conciousness, that's a personal responsiblity.

Vegemite just sounds disgusting. The first image to appear in my head as I read Wiki's description was a Vegemite plant full of hookers spreading their legs and employees collecting the yeast.

that was incredible.

I really don't know what Vegimite tastes like, but I can assure you , I CANNOT support the banning of ANY food! Any time someone wants ot ban food, I feel like they've stabbed me in the stomach. if I want to eat something (and I don't know if I'd eat this, not knowing what it tastes like and all), I should be able to eat it! By the way, how DOES it taste, anyway?