Accelerated Evolution

Firefly

Kreutz

Back in 2002, I watched all of 10 minutes of this show. Based on a certain scene in that episode, I dismissed it as a live-action anime ripoff and promply closed my mind to the widespread praise for this show.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought me the Firefly boxset to pay me back for a certain debt. At first I considered returning it to the store, but he got it used so I couldn't. So, deciding I may as well give it the old college try, I rewatched that first episode. Then I watched the second episode. Then I watched the third and fourth episodes.

I would like to retract my former assumption that this show is trash. It is, in fact, made of fucking win. I haven't been this excited about a series since The Next Generation. I'm pacing myself with the episodes, and I'm almost finished with the set and I look forward to seeing the movie. Fuck Lucas, Joss Whedon is my new master.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Lucas, Joss Whedon is my new master.

Woah! woah! woah! Lucas? You mean that asshole who ruined his own good idea when he decided he was talented enough to write and direct his movies? Bad fucking choice for a master man.

Oh, and Firefly ownz my soul as well. Shiny?

Speaking as a Whedongeek (of awesomeness), I can wholeheartedly say that Firefly rocks the party that rocks the body, primarily because of The Man They Call Jayne.

- Masked Man #2 RETURNS

I hated Buffy and despised Angel (except for when he got turned into a puppet) but Firefly is genuinely awesome. I think it's due to the writers he brought on. The episode "Jaynestown" that the Masked men mentioned above was written solely by original The Tick creator Ben Edlund, so... no wonder it was funny.

I hated Buffy and despised Angel (except for when he got turned into a puppet) but Firefly is genuinely awesome. I think it's due to the writers he brought on. The episode "Jaynestown" that the Masked men mentioned above was written solely by original The Tick creator Ben Edlund, so... no wonder it was funny.

Except most of the writers wrote for Buffy and Angel, including Edlund (who did like five or six episode for Angel Season 5, including the puppet one). The only ones who didn't were Cheryl Cain, Jose Molina, and Brett Matthews.

I think it's a matter of Buffy and Angel being a different genre and going for a different audience.

- Masked Man #2

Just do it the way our forefathers did, when they talked about movies and anime between killing woolly mammoths with clubs.

Dr. Ceraziefish, head anthropologist at Ceraziefish University, shows us his latest find, the pre-spoiler tag anti-spoiler technology:

SPOILERS!!!

OMG IM NOT KIDDING DONT READ!!!

AERIS DIES! WTF!

SPOILERS OVER!

Seriously, though, I thought the movie wasn't as good as the show. A lot (and I mean a LOT) of the dialogue seemed really forced.

Keep in mind that I still absolutely loved the movie. Any imperfections were minor at best, I thought.

The main thing I can think of offhand was Mal's whole spiel right at the end about "Love keeps the ship flying." I didn't especially like that part; not because it was corny, but rather because the actor couldn't convince me it wasn't corny.

I saw Serenity years after having seen one or two episodes of Firefly, and never before in my life have I raved and gushed so much about a movie as I did with Serenity.

Well this guy hadn't just not seen Firefly; I think he just dislikes SF in general.

I'm not sure why.

I had only seen the first half of Firefly before I saw Serenity. I still haven't seen the tail end; my friend has a copy of the DVD box set and he's lending it out to someone else.

Isaac took those back from me, so you might be able to get him to lend them to you.

• 1 month later...

After resisting for all these years (why? I don't know) a friend finally forced me to watch the series...and I really was hooked. I spent the last week staying up to stupid hours just to get a little bit more. The final episode was such a great combination of creepiness...because Early truly had some creepy aspects...and incredibly funny.

now I only have the movie left to watch. AND my friend told me who dies, so...*sigh*

After resisting for all these years (why? I don't know) a friend finally forced me to watch the series...and I really was hooked. I spent the last week staying up to stupid hours just to get a little bit more. The final episode was such a great combination of creepiness...because Early truly had some creepy aspects...and incredibly funny.

now I only have the movie left to watch. AND my friend told me who dies, so...*sigh*

Alan Rickman kills Michael Gambon!