Accelerated Evolution

Getting a Wii post launch

Chris C

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I won't be able to get one on launch but how hard do you think it will be after launch day?

Depends on your location and how many days after launch you're shooting for.

Punch your zip code in Wii Seeker to check how many Wii's stores around you will have. It won't help much, but it will at least give you some info on how many of the shiny white boxes will be around on the 19th.

If you wait, say, a day or two after launch, there shouldn't be too much of a problem to go in to a local store and find one, but if you wait until late into December, you're going to have one hell of a time trying to track one down. eBay hoarders, and soccer moms will be beating you to one. If you really want a Wii, the best time to get one is the first week of launch.

I still have to stress it all depends on your location as well.

And Twilight Princess will be a whole nother story.

EDIT: As for how hard it would be to get one on launch. Do you have a Target or Best Buy around? If so, then it shouldn't be hard at all, long as you actually go some what early.

Most Target stores will be getting around 60, and Best Buy should be getting almost 90 each. Neither store allows pre-orders, so it's first come, first serve.

I live about 25 minutes from the Boston Post Road (aka U.S. Route 1) with CompUsa, at least two Eb Games, and at least one GameStop in the immediate area near and in the Post Mall. Ontop of that, I live 15 minutes from New Haven in the middle of the woods. There are Eb Games in a few other towns in a 30 minute radius. Oh and a Best Buy and Target on the Post Road. (PS It isn't as good as it sounds, there no public transportation and its impossible to get anymore. May closest friend is a 10 minute walk taking shortcuts through people's private property. Unless you have your drivers liscense it sucks.) When the Wii seeker shows how many Wiis the store has os that just for preorders or what? I am planning on getting it during the 1st week.

When the Wii seeker shows how many Wiis the store has os that just for preorders or what? I am planning on getting it during the 1st week.

The site is just set up to show the stock of each store will have right on launch day (the 19th), it will not (as far as I know) list how much they will have left in stock after the 19th.

As far as pre-orders numbers go, no, the site does no list any of that information. The only way to find out how many people pre-ordered a Wii is to actually call EB Games , Gamestop, or CompUSA and hope that one of the employees is having a good enough day to actually tell you that information.

That's the only three places you need to worry about when it comes to pre-orders. Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City have not, and will not, take pre-orders on the new systems, this also includes PS3s.

Whatever the stock is that's listed on Wii Seeker is all first come systems.

You don't think anyones gonna camp out right and as long as I get there early enough I'll be set? The BB on the Post Road has 96 in their inventory.

Oh yeah, people will definitely camp out. I plan to get to Target an hour before they open, but i'm sure they'll be plenty of people there before me with tents and such from the night before.

Whether it will be enough people camping out at x location to sell out of the Wii, all depends on the location and the people.

I too have a question concerning the Wii launch (hopefully somebody knows). Are 24 hour stores (like Walmart, for example) going to start selling the system at midnight, or will it not happen until later in the day?

There's been a lot of confusion concerning the Wal-Mart sales. The employee that "leaked" it said there would only be 20 per store, and that's just a flat out lie, as there has been confirmation that some Wal-Mart stores will have upwards of 50.

I don't doubt that some Wal-Mart stores will have a midnight launch, but it defiantly won't be every store. Try calling on Friday at your local Wal-Mart to see if they are doing it, they should know by then.

Circuit City told me people would start camping out days in advance. Anyone know if it's true or not?

A store can't really predict when people will line up for the system, only how much they'll be giving out to said people.

Now, i'm not saying people won't line up days in advance, but the "hardcore" people that actually do stuff like that should already know well ahead of time that the stores will have loads to give out.

The Wii launch has already been confirmed to be pretty huge, and I can only think of 4 groups who really want one bad, being the eBay/Reseller hoarders, Nintendophiles (of course), the "gamers", and Mothers/Fathers who want it for their children.

I've never seen more then one or two of the last group actually camping out before the store opens, so no one should worry about them.

There will be lines for the PS3, though, that's for sure.

But if everyone is so worried about getting a Wii right on launch day, take a hint from Japanese business men and just hire a poor Chinese person to wait in line weeks before the launch. It proved to be a huge success yesterday.

Hm will just for reference anyone know our chances of getting one a few days later? And I do not think anyone will camp outside a store for a few days for a Nintendo Wii.

How many days are we talking about here? One or two shouldn't be too bad for waiting, if you live in a place that's getting assloads in, but after three or so it might be impossible unless you go on eBay.

Though, each store should be getting more shipments in every week, so if you miss out just nag the hell out of the store clerks to find out when a new shipment comes in.

haha if it were that easy...

is it really necessary you get a Dyson? As you said, they cost like $400, why not get a vacuum for $200 (equally as good, considering you can buy vacuums for like $50) and get a Wii with the rest of the money. If money really is tight, then i honestly don't understand why you'd be getting a top of the line vacuum cleaner

Wal-Mart sure as hell does not have their shit together for the Wii launch. The ones that are doing the mid-night launches, I mean.

Some stores are giving out reserve tickets at 6AM on Saturday. Here's the catch, if you leave the store before the systems are given out, your ticket becomes void.

Yeah, you have to stay in Wal-Mart for 18 hours straight if you want a Wii.

Fuck that. Only way I'd stay in Wal-Mart for more then 4 hours is to be stuck in there during a zombie outbreak.

I was thinking one or two days. But I'll just get to BB earlier than I want, around 730 (the store opens at 10 on sundays)

If you want to try Target, they open at 8am this Sunday.

is it really necessary you get a Dyson? As you said, they cost like $400, why not get a vacuum for $200 (equally as good, considering you can buy vacuums for like $50) and get a Wii with the rest of the money. If money really is tight, then i honestly don't understand why you'd be getting a top of the line vacuum cleaner

yeah your right..I'm gonna see if I can get a Wii opening day.