Accelerated Evolution

Burritos != sandwiches.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_...o_or_sandwich_2

Is a burrito a sandwich? Judge says no

Fri Nov 10, 4:17 PM ET

WORCESTER, Mass. - Is a burrito a sandwich? The Panera Bread Co. bakery-and-cafe chain says yes. But a judge said no, ruling against Panera in its bid to prevent a Mexican restaurant from moving into the same shopping mall.

Panera has a clause in its lease that prevents the White City Shopping Center in Shrewsbury from renting to another sandwich shop. Panera tried to invoke that clause to stop the opening of an Qdoba Mexican Grill.

But Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke cited Webster's Dictionary as well as testimony from a chef and a former high-ranking federal agriculture official in ruling that Qdoba's burritos and other offerings are not sandwiches.

The difference, the judge ruled, comes down to two slices of bread versus one tortilla.

"A sandwich is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans," Locke wrote in a decision released last week.

In court papers, Panera, a St. Louis-based chain of more than 900 cafes, argued for a broad definition of a sandwich, saying that a flour tortilla is bread and that a food product with bread and a filling is a sandwich.

Qdoba, owned by San Diego-based Jack in the Box Inc., called food experts to testify on its behalf.

Among them was Cambridge chef Chris Schlesinger, who said in an affidavit: "I know of no chef or culinary historian who would call a burrito a sandwich. Indeed, the notion would be absurd to any credible chef or culinary historian."

A sandwich in Mexico is called a torta! Also... here is a chart explaining the dynamics of burritos, sandwiches, and so forth.

2dcik9k.jpg

You can consider them wraps definately...

But there's a difference between a tortilla and bread.

Bread is like... puffy, and tortilla's are really small and thin.

Wraps usually use flatbread. And yes, there is a difference between flat bread and tortilla.

panera doesn't even know what a sandwich is, and they make em, tis funny.

The funny thing is I heard they only sell premade sandwiches. Plus, only if they knew what a torta is, then they would have an arguement.

I'm glad that the American judicial system has settled this age old question for me. What will those crazy judges do next?

(Oh yeah, tell a woman that she has no choice when it comes to her own body and uphold the fraudulent elections of corrupt officials.:sad:)

In 1893, the Supreme Court was able to save the nation from civil war by ruling that a tomato is a vegetable. I hope they will have the foresight to save the country again by swiftly ruling on this matter.

If you can call a burrito a wrap then it IS a sandwich, because that's what a wrap is.

No... Put it in a X,Y,Z axis.

The lower bread plane has a location of (X,Y,0) where it is the x and y axis.

The upper bread plane has a location of (a, b, c) where it runs parallel to the lower bread plane.

The filling is a three dimensional object between the two planes which fills the block of space between the upper and lower bread planes.

The block of filling may be anything, including what would normally be termed another sandwich were it not part of the block of filling. However, if what is normally termed a sandwich lies within this block between the uppermost plane of bread and lowermost plane of bread, it is therefore filling and not a sandwich in and of itself.

No... Put it in a X,Y,Z axis.

The lower bread plane has a location of (X,Y,0) where it is the x and y axis.

The upper bread plane has a location of (a, b, c) where it runs parallel to the lower bread plane.

The filling is a three dimensional object between the two planes which fills the block of space between the upper and lower bread planes.

The block of filling may be anything, including what would normally be termed another sandwich were it not part of the block of filling. However, if what is normally termed a sandwich lies within this block between the uppermost plane of bread and lowermost plane of bread, it is therefore filling and not a sandwich in and of itself.

Every place I've gone too that has wraps refers to them as "sandwich wraps," and the only major difference is the type of bread holding it together anyway.

...srsly

i can't believe this is under SD&D.

The actual discussion should have been about...

A) Competition between rival businesses.

B) Look at our wonderful judicial system at work!

Sorry this is not about abortions or which religion may or may be wrong or the War on TerrHURRR.

The actual discussion should have been about...

A) Competition between rival businesses.

B) Look at our wonderful judicial system at work!

Sorry this is not about abortions or which religion may or may be wrong or the War on TerrHURRR.

Sure, because competition between rival business' are tangy meatballs with a hint of parsely and chive while the way the judicial system works involves diced jalapeno and monterey jack cheese.

CrUUUBBBe, you may have started quite a number of topics on SD&D but crap like this, which can be taken to RT or General negates your other contributions.

LOCKED.

Anyone have a problem, bitch on a PM.