Accelerated Evolution

Classic Books

margot

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XD; but i don't want to be a pseudo intellectual type! For the first time I don't really care about giving off a superficial image (besides btw that's the image I already give off, especially last year when i only wore brown blazers) but I want to be smart.

Frenchies before the 1920s? Wow that sounds amazing.

I already really like Tolstoy (sort of reading anna karenina right now)

The type of things I'm thinking of:

The Scarlet Letter

Farenheight 451

The Odyssey

The Catcher in the Rye

Notes from the Underground

Scarlet Letter and Catcher in the Rye are craptacular.

Ten Books Belial Knows Everyone Should Read.

Brave New World

Catch-22

Leaves of Grass

On The Road

East of Eden

Slaughterhouse Five

The Communist Manifesto

Howl

I love the catcher in the rye and besides that even if you don't like it it's still a classic, same with the scarlet letter. We're reading it in my literature class right now and it's one of my teacher's favorite books. Personally I think it's okay/good. My boyfriend said that he hated it and that his super cool English teacher said it was one of the worst books ever written. I'm not intelligent so no comments from el peanut factory.

i've read on the road, brave new world, howl, and the communist manifesto. Good stuff I guess. I found BNW too disturbing.

i've been meaning to read vonnegut but it's so typical teenager?? we've read stories of his in english class (last year basically just one about the EVILS OF COMMUNISM though I did enjoy the ballerinas) and thought it was so rough. Holly vaughn likes him though..

we're reading that later this year too. i hate all the sexism in the books we read >< oh well, my friend suzanne who's obsessed with the 1940s and that sort of thing loves the great gatsby (she dresses like a classic hollywood movie star everyday)

I liked it, it ended sad though:(

i've been meaning to read vonnegut but it's so typical teenager?? we've read stories of his in english class (last year basically just one about the EVILS OF COMMUNISM though I did enjoy the ballerinas) and thought it was so rough. Holly vaughn likes him though..

Don't ever not read a classic because it is "So typical teenager". Thats just stupid.

The Communist Manifesto

I find any student of Marx to be a childish dreamer whos mind isn't based in reality. And if they don't realize their ideals are impossible.... well they are just insane.

I'd list what I think to be some books people should read, calling a book a classic really isn't true till it is about 100 years old.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Time Enough For Love By Robert A. Heinlein

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Slaughterhouse-five By Kurt Vonnegut

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

The Caves of Steel By Issac Asimov

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

Macbeth By Shakespeare

(I'm depressed now that I realize there are so many books I wanna read but am too damn lazy too)

Don't become like everyone else. Formulate your own degree of intelligence through your own experiences. Read stories which interest you, not which are "intellectually superior". The greatest minds we've ever known have not followed the norm.

This is good advice, though it is also sound advice to consider books that are considered "great", they usually got that title for a reason.

Hmm... contradiction.

You should have been killed at birth

No seriously, we get it. You want to slobber all over Heinlein's old flaccid dick for hours and hours. Thats cool man, this is a free country and you should be allowed to do whoever you want. I support your lifestyle, even if I don't understand it. Pride man! Pride!

No seriously, we get it. You want to slobber all over Heinlein's old flaccid dick for hours and hours. Thats cool man, this is a free country and you should be allowed to do whoever you want. I support your lifestyle, even if I don't understand it. Pride man! Pride!

Like I said, those are the books I think everyone should read. Read them, perhaps your brain will decide to give you a second try.

stop jizzing all over my thread you fags. just fucking admit you complete eachother and get married in boston already.

:rolleyes:

Ok... but GPS is the bitch.

Seriously though Lindsay, read everything you can get your hands on, but take it all with a grain of salt. The first thing I did when I got back to school after taking a semester and the summer off was go into the library and check out everything that caught my eye. I keep a list of books I need to read that I add to regularly, I hope never to complete that list.

The day I want to trust society into building a happy and free world is the day *I* become the bitch.

Nope man, I called it fair and square. You'll have to be quicker on the draw next time. Plus I bet you have real soft skin and lips, which mean that you're biologically better suited to be caressed by my strong masculine arms after hours of love making. Can't argue with biology.