Accelerated Evolution

Some good books?

So I was in Borders today walking around looking for hot girls (There's never any good looking girls around when I've built up the nerve to go out, but that's another story...) and I realized I have no clue what I'm doing in a book store.

So, I'm taking suggestions on good books (and manga for that matter) so I'm not just going up and down the isles like a retard.

Yes, I'm actually interested in reading them. :rolleyes:

I'm not particular about genres, but I like "trippy" things. I like things that have an interesting idea or twist to them. ..stories that make you think.

So I was in Borders today walking around looking for hot girls (There's never any good looking girls around when I've built up the nerve to go out, but that's another story...) and I realized I have no clue what I'm doing in a book store.

So, I'm taking suggestions on good books (and manga for that matter) so I'm not just going up and down the isles like a retard.

Yes, I'm actually interested in reading them. :rolleyes:

I'm not particular about genres, but I like "trippy" things. I like things that have an interesting idea or twist to them. ..stories that make you think.

Reading that from you is too funny. TOO funny.

The stupidest angel, GET. Good book.

I've got some recommendations:

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut. He's really funny/satirical, but it's not unintelligent or poorly written.

Any of Neil Gaiman's novels, I recommend Stardust for a first one.

I don't really read too much manga, and I don't know if you read american comics, but here's some recommendations anyway:

Warren Ellis' Planetary

Neil Gaiman's the Sandman.

I guarantee you if you read a Vonnegut book, a Neil Gaiman book, or both those comics, you will not be disappointed. And no babes a bookstore? I don't believe you.

*makes list*

Let me rephrase that: There were no hotties in the book store that weren't taller than me. :closedeyes:

If you like "trippy" stuff then my constant recommendation, The Etched City, would be good for you.

Also anything by M. John Harrison (Viriconium, Light).

If you like gritty pulp fiction flavored stories, I suggest Already Dead, by Charlie Huston. It's sort of blends the noir flavor of a classic detective story with a modern urban vampire story. It's... a little different than the usual pulp fare, and it's well put together and an incredibly entertaining read.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. Really good science fiction about gender politics, and it's just well written.

You could also get a book of short stories by Pushkin, he's an awesome writer.

Anything by China Mieville for some really imaginative, dark, steampunk fantasy. I really like his work.

I went to Borders after work.

I picked up Un Lun Dun by China Meiville. Nothing against anyones suggestions. It just happened to be really big and facing cover outward on the shelf.

I was also going to pick up The Etched City, but it's apparently the only book on earth they don't have. It looks like a good one though.

I might as well add my two cents. I second Vinnegut, I actually want to start reading more of his stuff again when I get free time (i.e. May or June)

Spider Robinson- A hippy, but Mindkiller was excellent, as were his short stories. Very Bad Deaths (his newest) wasn't as good, but its the only one a Borders is likely to have.