Accelerated Evolution

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have also lived because they did get thrown from the car. Our government likes to ignore that.

I'm generally more in favor of being firmly planted in a seat than being bounced around inside a metal cage or being thrown through a glass window at several miles an hours.

I'm generally more in favor of being firmly planted in a seat than being bounced around inside a metal cage or being thrown through a glass window at several miles an hours.

But that's your choice.

Personally I'd rather be thrown from a car than trapped inside as it starts on fire. Why don't I get the same choice you do?

And it gets a little out of hand when my mother explains that she has a disability and cannot breathe with it on and the cops says there's "no exceptions." They'd rather have her stop breathing?

But that's your choice.

Personally I'd rather be thrown from a car than trapped inside as it starts on fire. Why don't I get the same choice you do?

And it gets a little out of hand when my mother explains that she has a disability and cannot breathe with it on and the cops says there's "no exceptions." They'd rather have her stop breathing?

Statistically you have a better chance of surviving a crash with a seatbelt on. As for a fire, even without a seatbelt on you can be trapped inside and there are seatbelt cutting devices made widely available to the public.

Statistically you have a better chance of surviving a crash with a seatbelt on. As for a fire, even without a seatbelt on you can be trapped inside and there are seatbelt cutting devices made widely available to the public.

Statistics can be skewed any way you want them to be. Given that most of these studies are funded by our government, there is very little reason to trust them.

You still don't tell me why logically it should be a law. If you don't wear one you endanger no one buy yourself. (Unless you're talking about an outlandishly rare freak accident, which find more than one for me.)

Statistics can be skewed any way you want them to be. Given that most of these studies are funded by our government, there is very little reason to trust them.

You still don't tell me why logically it should be a law. If you don't wear one you endanger no one buy yourself. (Unless you're talking about an outlandishly rare freak accident, which find more than one for me.)

Logically it's a law because there are irresponsible people who drive and endanger other people. Since not all of these irresponsible drivers can be caught or have their licenses revoked legally then the most logical step to decrease the fatality rate of the accidents they cause is to make the application of seatbelts mandatory. If everyone could be trusted to drive safely and be responsible then there wouldn't be a need for that law or seatbelts for that matter. And since there isn't an amendment giving us the right to refuse the application of safety equipment in a potentially deadly vehicle the government has the power to make laws requiring it.

If you're better off being thrown from your car in a crash than being securely fastened inside, then your car is a piece of shit. In a properly designed car, the passenger compartment will not deform during a crash (unless you're doing something really stuipd, like hitting a semi at 130MPH or something).

Also, a properly designed car will not catch on fire after a crash, and even if it does, the doors should still open and allow you to escape because the passenger compartment did not deform.

More like Seatbelt lulz, amirite? :awesome:

I have no problem with seatbelts. Around here the cops will pull you over based on seatbelt stuff sometimes so they can search your car for drugs. I think that's pretty corrupt, but, yeah.

What Mag-X said. Cars are still pretty dangerous but there are a lot of safety features.

In your mom's case, is there anything she can do to get, like, a seatbelt that doesn't fuck with her?

EDIT: Those fucking seatbelts that automatically go on when you close the door need to be fucking illegal. I hate those.

Logically it's a law because there are irresponsible people who drive and endanger other people. Since not all of these irresponsible drivers can be caught or have their licenses revoked legally then the most logical step to decrease the fatality rate of the accidents they cause is to make the application of seatbelts mandatory. If everyone could be trusted to drive safely and be responsible then there wouldn't be a need for that law or seatbelts for that matter. And since there isn't an amendment giving us the right to refuse the application of safety equipment in a potentially deadly vehicle the government has the power to make laws requiring it.

But it should be a persons option whether or not they want to wear one. They are not at fault for the other idiotic drivers. We have the right as humans to decide what we want to do with our life if it is only our life we are effecting.

If you're better off being thrown from your car in a crash than being securely fastened inside, then your car is a piece of shit. In a properly designed car, the passenger compartment will not deform during a crash (unless you're doing something really stuipd, like hitting a semi at 130MPH or something).

Also, a properly designed car will not catch on fire after a crash, and even if it does, the doors should still open and allow you to escape because the passenger compartment did not deform.

I've never seen a car not deform in a decent accident. It really doesn't matter what you are better off with anyways, but what you choose. No one yet has given me a reason why we aren't allowed to choose. (At least not one that makes sense.)

I have no problem with seatbelts.

Well, that's great for you, but what about the people who do have a problem with them? Is our freaking government willing to pay for the car I bought since it's illegal for me to drive it now the way I want? Or better yet, since we owned our cars before the law was passed the usual rules are that it doesn't apply to us. Why is it now different with seatbelts?

The reason is because we live in a country where the government makes laws about what we can and can't do in situations that are potentially dangerous. This is nothing new, seatbelts are just one of the latest things to be put under that category.

The thing with your mother however sucks and is unfair.

The reason is because we live in a country where the government makes laws about what we can and can't do in situations that are potentially dangerous. This is nothing new, seatbelts are just one of the latest things to be put under that category.

Yet they aren't required on buses.

If it only endangers ourselves why make a law about it? Why do we let our government get away with these things? Why are you so accepting of stupid laws that make no real difference? It's really sick how many people just let these things go. They say it's stupid, and yes it is, but then it just makes them think they can push things farther and farther. When will it finally get to be something worth fighting for?

Yet they aren't required on buses.

If it only endangers ourselves why make a law about it? Why do we let our government get away with these things? Why are you so accepting of stupid laws that make no real difference? It's really sick how many people just let these things go. They say it's stupid, and yes it is, but then it just makes them think they can push things farther and farther. When will it finally get to be something worth fighting for?

When I start actually driving. :tongue:

But, yeah. No reason victimless crimes should be illegal. Suicide is illegal, you know. :awesome:

I guess the thing that ticks me off the most is that my mother now wants me to go to court and fight it for her.

Nevermind the fact there's nothing they can do to me if I just don't go/don't pay it. Suspend my license? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Perhaps your mother should fight it herself if it's an issue? No offence intended, but she's the one the ticket was issued too. And if the seatbelt really causes an issue as far as breathing is concerned, she should probably look into a means of obtaining some kind of legally viable consent of the issue from a physician... of course, that could also result in here being declared medically unfit to drive. And again, no offence intended, but is that little pressure on her chest causes her to have issues breathing... I'm not sure it's all that fair that I'm expected to feel secure driving on the same roads she does.

Nevermind the fact there's nothing they can do to me if I just don't go/don't pay it. Suspend my license? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hahaha, nice.

I kind of think of not wearing a seatbelt like riding a bike without a helmet. In which case I think it should be legal to do, if a bit silly (although I often don't grab my helmet if I'm just going to the store or something, and I'll just be taking side roads).

Seatbelts are a good idea, and I guess the government realizes that if you're not smart enough to take steps to protect your own sorry life then they should.

I can see at least one reason why seatbelts should be required by law; and that's because if you don't wear your seatbelt you wouldn't require your kids to (if you have kids...) and that's a form of negligence. Hence, I guess the most logical thing would be to require seatbelts for those under the age of 18. If, after that, you're too stupid to take 5 seconds to lower your chance of survival in a crash, then you deserve to die.

Seatbelts are a good idea, and I guess the government realizes that if you're not smart enough to take steps to protect your own sorry life then they should.

I can see at least one reason why seatbelts should be required by law; and that's because if you don't wear your seatbelt you wouldn't require your kids to (if you have kids...) and that's a form of negligence. Hence, I guess the most logical thing would be to require seatbelts for those under the age of 18. If, after that, you're too stupid to take 5 seconds to lower your chance of survival in a crash, then you deserve to die.

:awesome: You're really taking your sig to heart, aren't you? Empathy might not solve the world's problems, but it will solve most of them and prevent retarded flame wars as well.

I've never seen a car not deform in a decent accident. It really doesn't matter what you are better off with anyways, but what you choose. No one yet has given me a reason why we aren't allowed to choose. (At least not one that makes sense.)

I'm only refering to the passenger compartment. In a crash, the crumple zones and outer shell will crumple, but the actual passenger area should stay intact.

As for the law, yes, you should have a choice. However, unless you have a better reason than "I don't like it," you should really put one on.