Accelerated Evolution

vocals.....ists

Tanni Foemangler

a place to talk about singers who've dazzled you or any vocal technique that demands attention

a few that have been on my mind for a while are:

daniel gildenlow (pain of salvation): in addition to being one of my favorite sounding singers, he also seems to have the ability to put the EXACT words he wants into lyrics without compromising song quality. and he's confused the hell out of me with his delivery more than once, particularly the line "sometimes the hands that clutch can be the same hands that touch too much" from 'in the flesh' ( this song at 4:16)

kral (mercenary): so everyone knows mercenary kicks ass by now, but some people may have missed kral's power/black vox on "firesoul". good thing for (both of) you, that's one of the two songs from 11 dreams they gave away. in an interview with kral he assured us that learning to do this was painful

divinity destroyed: what? they're rad

I love the Divinity Destroyed vocalist. I can listen to Threnody all day long.

Other vocalists I absolutely love (besides the obvious like Hansi Kursch, Freddie Mercury, Tony Kakko, etc):

The dude from Arwen - no idea what his name is. In fact this band sat undisturbed on my computer for a few months before I really bothered listening to it, and I loved the vocals.

Damnagoras (Elvenking) - I really dig this guy. Can't really explain why.

The guy from Avalanch - can't figure out who it is since they're site is all in Spanish...

Dick Valentine (Electric Six)

That's all I'm coming up with right now. I'm sure some more will pop up later.

James Labrie *Dream Theater* some hate him, but god what a voice, especially on Images and Words and Awake.. ofcourse his work with Ayreon, and his new solo album shows some great vocal work.

Thomas Englund from the band 'Evergrey', recently i've fallen in love with his perfect use of emotion, melody and range.

Mikael Akerfeldt of opeth, because god-damn, an insane death metal growl ofcourse with wonderful clean vocals.

James Maynard Keenan from Tool / A Perfect Circle because he has the near perfect tone, and screams rather vicsiously (yet appropriatley), not the biggest range, but what he sings is near flawless.

Hansi Kursh of Blind Guardian / Demons and Wizards because I believe he is the voice of power metal.

Matthew Barlow of Iced Earth, best low range vocalist in metal, with the ability to tear up the high-notes.

Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree for having such a perfectly mellow melodic voice, spacey in sound to accompany spacey music.

many more I can name, i'll update.

Geoff Tate (Queensryche) - What more can I say? He really has a golden voice.

Zak Stevens (Savatage) - Underrated vocalist. He really is awesome I believe.

Tobias Sammet (Edguy/Avantasia) - I really like his voice, no matter what others say about him. I find something special in him.

Other favorites have been mentioned already like Hansi Kursch, Freddie Mercury, and Matt Barlow.

• 3 weeks later...

guess it's about time i gave credit to my favorite multi-talented death vocalists:

carmelo orlando [novembre]: you should know by now how awesome novembre is, and they wouldn't be half the band they are without carmelo's signature atmospheres

christian alvestam [scar symmetry, unmoored]: super-surprising performance on symmetric in design. i thought for sure they had at least two vocalists

darren white [anathema]: the voices of DOOM

kobi farhi [orphaned land]: why no one gives this dude any credit, i have no idea

louis benjamin falgoust II [soilent green, goatwhore]: i got attached to him after hearing "as the reflection slowly fades", but i'm especially hooked on this guy after seeing him live

mikael akerfeldt [opeth]: durrrrr

**and the names i don't know and don't feel like looking up:

the combo in mourning beloveth: "autumnal fires" almost makes me cry :ohmy:

the dude from infernal poetry: holy shit

whoever's doing lead vox for into eternity at any given time. they just seem to pick REALLY multi-dimensional singers

the vocalist for amorphis right now: if you can see them live, he'll blow you away

and of course...

Dan Swano nuff said

christian alvestam [scar symmetry, unmoored]: super-surprising performance on symmetric in design. i thought for sure they had at least two vocalists

kobi farhi [orphaned land]: why no one gives this dude any credit, i have no idea

mikael akerfeldt [opeth]: durrrrr

whoever's doing lead vox for into eternity at any given time. they just seem to pick REALLY multi-dimensional singers

I agree with all those. Into Eternity does have, I think, 4 people doing vocals which is just kick ass, definitely making their singing 'multi-dimensional'.