Accelerated Evolution

Brenton Cooks!

Nega-Brent

The idea for this thread is for me (or anyone else) to share with you my favorite cooking recipes that I've discovered online, through my own cooking experiments, or just some crap I was forced to learn at the many restaurants I've worked at. Hopefully you'll find something here you'll enjoy and share it with others. I'm going to try to be diverse with the recipes I share, so keep in mind that many of these recipes come from different cultures across the world.

Banana Split Smoothie:

1 Cup Chocolate Soy Milk/Regular Milk

1 Frozen Banana (pre-peeled)

2 Frozen Strawberries

Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.

Lip Smackin' Spicy BBQ Sauce:

1/4 pound butter

1 garlic clove, crushed

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 onion chopped

1 teaspoon ranch rub

1 teaspoon spicy steak rub

1/2 cup honey

3/4 cup cola (recommended: Coca Cola)

1 bottle Worcestershire sauce

1 bottle ketchup

2 lemons, halved

1 bottle hot sauce (recommended: Cholula)

In a saucepan, melt the margarine. Add the garlic clove, mustard, onion, ranch rub, steak dust, honey and cola and bring to a simmer. Then add the Worcestershire, ketchup, lemons, and the hot sauce. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes and let it simmer down. Use it right away or store it in your refrigerator.

Call Girl:

1 1/4 ounces vanilla-flavored vodka (recommended: Skyy Vanilla Vodka)

Ice

Cola, to fill (recommended: Coca-Cola)

maraschino cherries

Pour vodka into a 10-ounce rocks glass over ice. Add desired amount of cherries and cola to fill. Stir and serve with a short straw.

I thought I would share with you some of my favorite drink recipes.

Black Forest Martini:

Shake 2 oz. Belvedere Vodka, 1/2 oz blackberry

puree, 1/4 oz. Chambord and 1/2 oz. pineapple juice

with ice. Strain into a chilled martini glass.

Violent Violet:

Shake 2 oz. Belvedere Vodka, 1/2 oz. Cointreau,

1/2 oz. Grand Marnier, a dash violet liqueur, a dash

cranberry juice and a drop of fresh lime with ice.

Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with

an edible flower.

Orange Blossom Mojito:

Muddle together 3 fresh mint leaves,

2 lime wedges, a splash of simple syrup

and a splash of sour mix. Fill glass with ice

and add 1-1/2 oz. Belvedere Pomarancza and

a splash of OJ. Top off with soda water

and garnish with an orange wedge.

Ruby Slipper:

Mix 1-1/2 oz. Belvedere Pomarancza, 1/2 oz. Maraschino

Liqueur, 1/4 oz. simple syrup and 1 oz. Youngberry

juice with 3 raspberries muddled in a mixing glass.

Shake with ice and strain into a martini glass.

Garnish with raspberries.

Blackberry Collins:

Muddle 2 blackberries in a mixing glass, add

2 oz. Belvedere Cytrus, 1 oz. Marie Brizard Blackberry,

1/2 oz. fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice

and 1/2 oz. simple syrup. Shake. Strain over fresh ice

into a Collins glass. Top with a splash of soda.

Garnish with two blackberries.

This thread should have a showdown with Crube's cooking thread.

That barbecue sauce sounds pretty awesome, though. I might try to make some next time I'm... barbecuing.

Lessee... I usually cook from memory and just mix things until it looks right so some of these measurements might be off.

Buckwheat pancakes (delicious)

2 cups of white pastry flour

1/2 cup of buckwheat flour

2 eggs

2tbsp baking powder

a bit of sugar

a bit of salt

1 1/2 cups milk

Basically, mix all the dry ingredients, then mix in each of the liquid ingredients one by one. Make sure not to overmix, or it'll make the pancakes too tough. When you're done, cook them in a pan with safflower oil, flipping when you start too see bubbles on the side that's up (the flipping is the trick to cooking pancakes, of course).

I'm pretty sure those ratios are right but you might want to try less flour. I'm not really sure, haha.

EDIT: Oh yeah, serve with some Canada juice (maple syrup) and fresh berries (of whatever kind is your favorite).

Awesome Quesadillas:

As many tortillas as you want quesadillas (I recommend smallish corn ones)

Grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharper cheese) -- a little less than a handful (sorry for the inexact measurements guys)

Salsa

Refried beans (it's okay if you get these out of a can -- you don't even have to cook them or anything because cooking the quesadillas will heat the beans up)

And a little bit of butter.

It's fairly self-explanatory. Get the cheese and beans and salsa together beforehand. Heat up the pan for a few minutes before putting a bit of butter on there, then dump the tortilla in. When it's cooked for a bit, flip it over, then put the ingredients on it. I like to fold the tortilla in half but some people make open face quesadillas.

Peanut-Cream Frosted Cocoa Cake

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup Cocoa

* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

* 1/2 cup shortening

* 1 cup water

* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 2 cups sugar

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 cup buttermilk

* 2 eggs

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* PEANUT BUTTER CREAM(recipe follows)

* CHOCOLATE GLAZE(recipe follows)

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line two 9-inch round baking pans with wax paper; grease and flour wax paper.

2. Combine first 4 ingredients in saucepan; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat. Combine flour, sugar and baking soda in large bowl. Stir in cocoa mixture until blended. Beat in buttermilk, eggs and vanilla until blended. Pour into pans.

3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

4. Spread half of PEANUT BUTTER CREAM between layers; spread remaining cream on top of cake. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Drizzle

with COCOA GLAZE. Store covered in refrigerator. 12 servings.

PEANUT BUTTER CREAM: Combine 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1 package (10 oz.) Peanut Butter Chips in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips melt and mixture is smooth. Cool to room temperature.

Beat 1-1/2 cups whipping cream until stiff. Stir one-third into peanut butter mixture. Fold in remaining whipped cream. 3-1/2 cups.

COCOA GLAZE: Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in microwave; add 2 tablespoons of Cocoa and 2 tablespoons water, stirring constantly, until thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, beating with whisk until smooth. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides.

Spinach Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

6 slices prosciutto

2 oranges, zested

2 small oranges, juiced or 1 large orange, juiced

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons honey

1 clove garlic, peeled

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

10 to 12 ounces pre-washed spinach

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the prosciutto slices on a baking sheet and bake until just crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Crumble the prosciutto slices into a container and store in the refrigerator.

In a blender, combine the orange zest, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. With the blender running, add the olive oil in a steady stream until combined. Transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator.

To serve, put the spinach in a large bowl. Toss with enough of the vinaigrette to coat the spinach. Sprinkle with the crisp prosciutto crumbles, toss again, and serve.

Banana Walnut Bread Pudding with Buttery Rum Sauce

5 tablespoons unsalted butter

8 cups day-old white bread, such as French or Italian, cut into 1-inch cubes (toast if fresh)

2 cups heavy cream

2 cups milk

4 large eggs

1 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Pinch salt

5 tablespoons banana liqueur

2 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 4 small

3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Buttery Rum Sauce, recipe follows

Whipped Cream, for garnish

Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.

Place the cubed bread in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat and pour the butter over the bread cubes. Using a rubber spatula, toss to evenly distribute the butter.

Combine the cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and banana liqueur in a medium mixing bowl, whisking to combine. Pour the cream mixture over the bread cubes and stir to combine. Let sit for 30 for 45 minutes, or until the bread is soft and has absorbed most of the liquid.

Stir in the mashed bananas and walnuts. Pour the mixture into prepared dish and bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crispy and the pudding is firm in the center. Prepare the Buttery Rum Sauce while the pudding is baking.

Remove the pudding from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with Buttery Rum Sauce and whipped cream, if desired.

Buttery Rum Sauce:

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 cup sugar

2 egg yolks, beaten lightly

1/3 to 1/2 cup rum, to taste

In a heavy, nonreactive saucepan combine all ingredients except the rum and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat immediately; do not allow the sauce to boil. Add the rum, stir to combine, and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm with Banana Walnut Bread Pudding. (The sauce can be made up to 1 week in advance and stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container. Warm gently before serving.)

Yield: 2 1/4 cups