Accelerated Evolution

Okay so my grandfather is FINALLY dead

*bangs head on desk*

So my grandfather has been near death for like two or three days now. I dunno whether he's be unecesarrily resiliant here or the hursing home whackos know even less than I had assumed, but he's taking forever to die. I've spent hours upon hours upon hours in his room and he's for all intents and purposes comatose now. It's really sad to see him that way, but he's dead and buried to me already and I don't want him to be in pain and I don't want to remember him like that, rather, the incredibly strong man he was for 91 years. Plus it's paining my dad and aunt and really all of our family. My dad just took on a load of work and is directing two, rather than one, play next theatre season and he doesn't need this and my aunt is in tears near constantly. My uncle is flying in from Australia to come for the funeral. I hope that my grandfather dies before then, it's sad that two of the three siblings have to see my Papa like that but all three would be depressing.

I've been reading Baudelaire and Poe in the room. Appropriate. I just got home after being there from noon until five and then seven until two-thirty.

I think I might write some Baudelaire-esque poetry about what he looks like.

No seriously Papa, just die PLEASE!

I feel you man. Unfortunately mercy killings are still illegal, but it's situations like this that I think they should be allowed because why keep someone around for a while longer when you know they're in pain and they aren't going to get better? I can relate in a very small way: When my grandfather was dying, he slipped into dementia and it was kind of depressing to go see him knowing he didn't know who the hell you even were. I know it's not much consolation, but for everyone's sake, I hope that he passes soon to end the needless suffering and to put all your minds to ease, even if it's only in a small way. It sounds weird, but the way you remember him is kind of up to you. When I went to my grandmother's funeral a few years back I'll never forget she had written this sort of poem. I don't remember what it said, so I can't reiterate it verbatim, but it summed up to be: "I may be gone, but don't dwell on it so much. Don't remember me as I am in this casket, but instead remember all the good times we shared and keep those memories hidden and locked away for whenever you miss me." So, even if you're watching him slowly die in pain and it's too much to watch, try and remember him in a different way when he's gone. I hope that all works out for you.

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. I understand what you mean about remembering. Anyway, my grandfather died at 4:something in the morning, around an hour after I went to bed. I just woke up and my dad came in and told me and gave me a hug. His eyes were wet from crying. I feel kinda empty, like it's impossible to feel an emotion other than exhaustion in relation to the situation. It's so weird that someone I really loved and interacted with a lot is gone and I just feel... nothing. I'm more worried about my dad and aunt than anything.

Aw man, I feel you too. A couple years back, my grandmother passed after a week in a coma. My Dad and my aunt, my Mom, and everyone else was devastated. The saddest thing about it was that my aunt hadn't spoken with my grandmother in years, and did right before she died. I can't say much else. I think The Masterplan just about covered it. It's great that your family is so close, hope ya feel better. :sad:

Thanks. The last thing my dad said to my grandfather before he became inert and unresponsive was "I love you dad," which is really wonderful. We're getting together at my cousins. The only issue is that I'm ridiculously liberal and anti-religious and most of my relatives are devout Conservative Catholics and I would start talking about things like that and realize half way through a conversation that mentioning that Mithras was born of a virgin on the 25th of December to my cousin's fiance, who is devoutly religious, is a bad idea. :awesome: Plus I kept reading Poe and Baudelaire and Aristotle aloud. :hardgay:

that really sucks man.

a few years ago the same thing went down with my great grandma, where she was comatose for about a week in a 'nursing home' where they kept her full of meds and waited for her to die. family members were always sitting at her bedside watching over her, waiting for those few seconds when she appeared to be conscious so they could talk to her. it was horrible

that really sucks man.

a few years ago the same thing went down with my great grandma, where she was comatose for about a week in a 'nursing home' where they kept her full of meds and waited for her to die. family members were always sitting at her bedside watching over her, waiting for those few seconds when she appeared to be conscious so they could talk to her. it was horrible

Yeah. I'm not gonna go into it because it makes me flip out but there were some nurses there I wanted to beat to death. We had opera playing for him and stuff. But man... I'm still tired. Urgh. I don't have words for it. The funeral is tomorrow and I (of all possible devout Catholic relatives and friends who were given the chance) am one of the few people actually reading from the Bible. It's the Old Testament, something from the book of Job.

i don't even remember my grandparents

I'm glad I know mine. It sucks that you don't. : \ I'm pretty lucky. I can't remember what my paternal grandmother was like before she got alzheimer's, which is sad because people always tell me that we would have gotten along.