Accelerated Evolution

Who do you turn to...

This kind of has to do with the other thread I made a short time ago. You guys are knowledgeable folk and I hope you can give me some insight or an answer to this one:

A big part of that vacation thing was not only about a change of scenery, but also a time and place to think things through. The vacation is still on hold as it stands, but that thinking time I've gotten. You know, usually I can figure things out for myself, cause I'm a smart dude. I think my reason and rationale are strong and I've been told I'm wise beyond my years by a lot of people. However, there are some things I still can't seem to get under control if you want to call it that. I'm really struggling and conflicted with myself over two particular things and I'm not really sure how I should go about it. Like the topic says, usually it's people that come to me to help them and now that the shoe's on the other foot, who do I turn to? I don't really want to share the issues with you guys for personal reasons, but I'm really having trouble with two things in particular and I'm just not sure who I can talk to about it and not only that, but help me with it too. Some answers I expect are: friends, family, odin, etc. I've thought about all those [Except maybe Odin, though he is true and wise.] and because of my circumstances and the nature of the issues, I don't think they can really even understand, let alone help. What do you guys think?

Well, going to a therapist is probably the best way to deal with it. I can't really recommend Odin, he'll probably make you pillage a village in England in his name first. The therapist should understand, and is probably your best bet if you don't want to talk to your family or friends. Barring that, you could just open up to some completely random person walking by, and hope that you get that one-in-a-million movie like experience where you get the advice that turns you life around. But that's a long shot, so I'd go with therapist first, then other means.

Nah, not really. Especially if they're not like a PhD or anything.

plus if you're in school most schools have access to a therapist who works for the school district.

(oh wait... it's summer, isn't it?)

What would it run me do you figure? And yeah, I'm skipping senior year and taking my equivalency test in September and I start classes at my local community college on the 27th of next month.

Well, it really varies, and if you have health insurance there's a chance you could get it covered, and the community college should offer counseling services.

but if you want to just go out and pay for it out of pocket then I'd say you could probably find someone for maybe 40-60 dollars per session. Perhaps less, but it depends on your location and all that jazz.

Yeah, I'd try the school counseling (at the community college) services first. Some of them are idiots, but some are good and it's free so it's one less thing to stress over. No harm in trying it at least.

I'll look into that. I just don't want to stumble upon some hapless quack and tell him or her shit that other people shouldn't know.

If you can't talk to your family about, then surely you must have some good friend or some cool teacher / professor that you can speak to. If not, counseling may be the only thing.

I've felt like you in the past, but I've learned to manage through. Well, I've never had any serious issues & all, but there have been times where it seems like everyone comes up to me, but yet, I can't go up to anyone. Those have been rare occasions, but in the end, I manage to figure them out on my own. Yeap. (^_^ )

family family family, do you have any older brothers or sisters?

Normally, yeah, that'd be great. I have a sister that's four years older than I am, but the problem is she's extremely immature and I do to talk to her about the little things and she has proved helpful on occasion, but these matters are a little too much for her to competently help me with. She's not stupid, just highly immature.

If you can't talk to your family about, then surely you must have some good friend or some cool teacher / professor that you can speak to. If not, counseling may be the only thing.

I've felt like you in the past, but I've learned to manage through. Well, I've never had any serious issues & all, but there have been times where it seems like everyone comes up to me, but yet, I can't go up to anyone. Those have been rare occasions, but in the end, I manage to figure them out on my own. Yeap. (^_^ )

My family is really not one to sit down and talk with. As previously mentioned, my sister isn't terribly mature, my mother freaks out over any matter big or small and is very stubborn and annoying to talk to and is only amplified by the fact that she's currently going through menopause. My dad is usually fine to talk to, but with these types of things he starts to get riled up and overpowering, so there's no sense in going that route and everyone in my non-immediate family just cannot keep things to themselves. Well, here's the thing. My friends are kind of living the life of riley right now and I haven't been joining them because it's not something I enjoy anymore. My friends are good people, but I'm afraid that deep down, most of my friends are kind of selfish and really only care about themselves. Right now, most of them are too busy getting fucked up and partying every day and the last thing I want to do is spill my guts to someone in such a state. My few friends that aren't going crazy don't really understand or sometimes even pay attention. So, you know. I love my friends to death, but they're the last people I'd bring them up to. As for teachers/professors, I had some, but when the school closed I never bothered to get contact information and even if I had, some of the matters I would talk to them about would be something they know circumstantially too well if that makes sense. Like, let's say it has something to do with my gf: Since she went to my school, if I started talking about "mg gf" they'd know exactly who I meant and it would be weird for me because of where it was and the nature of the conversation it might get her or I in trouble or something terrible would happen, I'm sure. What I really want is someone who is disconnected from the "who's" and can actually listen and understand and at very least try to help. Because if I talked to a teacher I think they'd be too wrapped up in knowing who the people were. It should be looked at as a "Person A, Person B, etc." kind of thing, not a "Ken, Tom, etc." I think counseling may be the only route because of what I specifically want. I've kind of figured things out for the most part [which is why this response is so much later than the last] but there may be one or two more issues lingering that I need to discuss with someone who's more experienced in life.

I love cognitive psychology.

It's really helpful, but it can be kind of rough too. You have to be prepared for someone to point out a lot of "mistakes" in how you think, especially if they are a really hardcore psychologist. (We saw a tape of one guy doing cognitive therapy with a patient, and it was so outrageous it was funny.)

That being said, most psychologists nowadays (even ones with specialties listed like cognitive psychology) follow multiple branches of pyschology, so chances are it won't be hardcore. Nothing to fear.

That being said, I've never actually been to a therapist to know if it's the same as what I get trained in at school. I'd hope so but..........

Well, going to a therapist is probably the best way to deal with it. I can't really recommend Odin, he'll probably make you pillage a village in England in his name first. The therapist should understand, and is probably your best bet if you don't want to talk to your family or friends. Barring that, you could just open up to some completely random person walking by, and hope that you get that one-in-a-million movie like experience where you get the advice that turns you life around. But that's a long shot, so I'd go with therapist first, then other means.

SPILL THE BLOOD FOR WOTAN!

How exactly does all that work? You just go somewhere and sit in a room with some guy and talk to him about shit while he underhandedly psychoanalyzes you and tells you that you're suffering from issues with your mother? I know that's a terrible stereotype, but you know.

I basically go to my psychologist and she makes some popcorn and we sit and talk, she asks me how I'm doing, we get to the subject of issues I've been having and we go over ways to deal with it or helps me get in touch with parts of myself and explore my feelings to understand things better. It's great to have someone who will listen to all your problems impartially and then help you sort through them. I see a psychiatrist too, I talk to him about problems the same way and then he tells me I need to have sex and gives me medicine.

I basically go to my psychologist and she makes some popcorn and we sit and talk, she asks me how I'm doing, we get to the subject of issues I've been having and we go over ways to deal with it or helps me get in touch with parts of myself and explore my feelings to understand things better. It's great to have someone who will listen to all your problems impartially and then help you sort through them. I see a psychiatrist too, I talk to him about problems the same way and then he tells me I need to have sex and gives me medicine.

So you pay a dude and he tels you to get laid and gives out drugs? jesus man, Mentecky could do that (I would use the name of somebody who that sounds exactly like, but you don't him)

So you pay a dude and he tels you to get laid and gives out drugs? jesus man, Mentecky could do that (I would use the name of somebody who that sounds exactly like, but you don't him)

It's pretty common to have one person in charge of your medication and another in charge of your actual therapy.

I mean, that's how I've done it for a while now.