Accelerated Evolution

God-FUCKING-Damnit

Artie

Yea so I'm coming home from work in my truck and wait for a half-hour at a friggen pizza place to bring home our order. Well i leave the pizza place and just get off a main road and my dash lights up like a Christmas tree (A/T Oil Temp, Battery and Brake light). I look at the temp gauge and see it's border red line. I pull to the side of the road and turn my heater on full blast with the engine still running. It doesn't go down so I turn off the engine and keep the heat on. Nothing, the temp is still rising. I turn off everything and check under the hood trying not to breath in anti-freeze steam. Well my anti-freeze is boiling! yay! I call me dad and he brings more anti-freeze and such.

Well we're checking around the engine searching for the cause of the problem buring my wrist on the scolding radiator in the process. I find out that my fan belt broke and I cut it and pulled it out to keep it from getting caught in the other belts. The people who owned the truck before me were obviously too stupid or too cheap the replace the belts in the truck, and the fan belt proves it. It has teeth missing on the bottom and is is shredded and cracked everywhere.

We try to limp it home, my dad in the truck and me following behind in his Outback. we get down another road where it over heats again and we pull over and wait. Then we start moving again. We don't even get another quarter mile when it overheats again, this time even more so. We pull over and steam is coming out from under the hood and the overflow is spitting out anti-freeze. We decide to leave it there for the time being and go home to eat our pizza. When we come back an hour later it cooled enough to drive it again. This time to the garage where I work because it's closer to my house and I was gonna bring it there tomorrow because of it.

Well we put more anti-freeze in truck and start moving, my dad in the truck and me following in the Outback. We get reasonably far and we stop because it over heated again. When the temp goes down enough to move again we go up to the corner of the road that the garage is on and it overheats again. Smoke and steam is pouring out from under the hood. I go up to the truck and pop the hood and open it standing in a puddle of hot anti-freeze coolant. Trying not to inhale the smoke and steam I found that the pressure from the boiling anti-freeze in the reservoir blew the cap off spraying the anti-freeze coolant all over the engine.

Across the road trying to go home at 9:15 pm is my boss the owner of the garage. he sees me and my dad there and comes to help us instead of just going home. We put more anti-freeze in seeing as it was basically empty and he tells us to bring it into the garage lot where he is going to look at it tomorrow and such. Well that's not possible because we found why the battery light went on.

The battery was not getting charged because the alternator ran off the fan belt and wasn't charging the battery. The constant restarting of the engine combined will the flashers constantly on drained it and wouldn't even turn the engine over once.

My boss being the really awesome and good guy that he is told us to wait there as he ran down back to the garage and back up with the Jumper Pack. Finally we start the engine again and barely make it into the lot of the garage where it over heated again after moving only 500 feet.

He said he was gonna fix it tomorrow if he could and check all the other belts and such. But right about now i want to strangle something with my bare hands. My poor truck.

It took us an hour to get to the place where we left it on the side of the road and then back home. then it took us another hour to go half a fucking mile to the garage. All I can say is WTF. I'm so pissed that the previous owners neglected to put new belts in when they should have.

Ouch. My dad and I had that problem few years back. Pushed the car for two hours just to get into a town. Definetly not a fun evening, but hey, once you're done getting everything sorted out, at least you'll know what kind of condition it's in ^_^;

(Okay, so that's not really all that positive, but hey)

That sucks. I've been through the same thing when I had my accord. I hope you didn't blow the head gasket.

Just think of it this way. At least you don't have a Saab 900. Replacing the belts is damn near an engine out job since they are up against the fire wall. :awesome:

At least the clutch is easy to get to...

I hate Saabs anyway. And I'm not an idiot that drives the truck while it in the red in temp lol. plus if I did I can replace it myself. i could have done the belt by myself but the garage was closer to get to than my house, plus i get employee discount bitch.

and it's not the truck that sucks as a "first used car" but the owners before it. they didn't know that belts need to be replaced I guess. meh. I got my truck back good as new.

I hate Saabs anyway. And I'm not an idiot that drives the truck while it in the red in temp lol. plus if I did I can replace it myself. i could have done the belt by myself but the garage was closer to get to than my house, plus i get employee discount bitch.

and it's not the truck that sucks as a "first used car" but the owners before it. they didn't know that belts need to be replaced I guess. meh. I got my truck back good as new.

Well a lot of us (haha, me) don't know that things need to be replaced on a car until they actually break or a mechanic dude friend tells us.

That being said, my first car was $500 and two years younger than me. I've replaced a lot of stuff, so now I kinda know what I have to do. (I think? So far no major probs with the Neon.)

meh, I thought one of the belts was gonna go soon anyway. I just hoped it wasn't my fan belt v_v. Oh well. All of them are old, but the fan belt (apparently and obviously lol) was the worst. It's hard to see in the engine compartment too and the most difficult to replace seeing as it's the furthest back and lowest down (it always has to be the most difficult doesn't it?).

Other than the belts the truck is in basically perfect condition except for the AC, which didn't work when I bought the truck. I think it might either be the compressor clutch, or a freon leak.

:] My water pump went out on me about a year ago. My car overheated during rush hour traffic while I was the first at a red light at a major intersection. Pissed a lot of people off. But at least you have it at the garage so you can fix it yourself.

:] My water pump went out on me about a year ago. My car overheated during rush hour traffic while I was the first at a red light at a major intersection. Pissed a lot of people off. But at least you have it at the garage so you can fix it yourself.

ahh that sucks. although it's better when you're the one pissing people off rather than the other way around :awesome:

yea belts are easy. water pumps aren't too bad either. meh, the truck hasn't exploded yet, so I'm taking it as a good sign.

I blew my water pump earlier this year, same kind of deal, except I eventually shelled out the $60 to get it towed and then just replaced the water pump.

when the water pump froze in my ooolllld Honda it flash-fried three of the belts in there and laid out a smoke screen behind me like Knight Rider. my friend was stopped at a light about 20 feet away and saw the whole thing. it was EPIC

My god, does everyones cars here hate them?

nah my truck loves me. the belt just didn't. Yea I should probably go give it an oil change this week seeing as I probably burnt a good portion of my oil in there.

Bleh, I'm way too cheap to pay 60 bucks for a tow. See if I'm that desperate, that's when I go get a chain or heavy rope, tie it to the Outback or Forester and tow it ourselves.

nah my truck loves me. the belt just didn't. Yea I should probably go give it an oil change this week seeing as I probably burnt a good portion of my oil in there.

Bleh, I'm way too cheap to pay 60 bucks for a tow. See if I'm that desperate, that's when I go get a chain or heavy rope, tie it to the Outback or Forester and tow it ourselves.

I'm glad my shop has its own tow truck. It's saved me a few times. xD

• 5 weeks later...

I'm surprised you didn't do that, when it was overheating every-so-many fractions of a mile/certain # of feet.

How did the rest of August treat your truck?

I'm surprised you didn't do that, when it was overheating every-so-many fractions of a mile/certain # of feet.

How did the rest of August treat your truck?

Went fine. -shrugs-, like I said, the previous owners didn't believe in changing the belts i guess. you think they would have when they put the rebuilt engine in there 8000 miles ago but w/e. just the belt. now it's once again, perfect.