Accelerated Evolution

GTA 4 delayed till Spring 2008

This just in... Take-Two has announced that Grand Theft Auto IV is being delayed until Spring of 2008 due to "additional development time required to complete the title." Read on for further explanations that came with today's announcement as well as links to stories related to this news.

"With Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar is setting a new standard for next generation video games," stated Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two. "Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms. We all recognize that perfecting the game is vital and I can assure everyone it will be worth the wait. We owe it to the game's millions of fans, to our dedicated development team, and to our shareholders to make sure that Grand Theft Auto IV is a groundbreaking gaming experience that takes maximum advantage of next generation technology."

"The new consoles are allowing us to create the Grand Theft Auto game we always dreamed about," added Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games. "Every aspect of the game and its design has been completely transformed. The game is huge and is pushing the hardware platforms to their absolute limits. The top engineers from Sony and Microsoft are working closely with the team in Edinburgh right now, helping us to fully leverage the power of both platforms. As always, our goal is to surpass even the wildest expectations of the game's

I know that most people are going to read this story and groan, a smaller group will probably stomp, bitch, and scream.

But I am glad! Frankly, one thing that has hurt the PS3 in it's early days are companies porting 360 games to the platform. Rockstar wants to do it right and take advantage of the Cell Processor, and waiting eight months will be well worth it if I can have a game that is built for my hardware.

Rockstar continues to show they are dedicated to gamers and gaming, by doing their flagship game right they'll set the standards for al the developers and maybe we won't see a horrible port like Spider-Man 3 on the Wii again.

Source: 1up.com http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161714

Report from: http://gundampilotspaz.com/2007/08/03/gta-...il-spring-2008/

Anyway, the delay says nothing about needing extra time specifically for the PS3 version, just that they needed more time to complete the game.

"Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms."

Makes me believe the delay is caused by the cell processor.

:glare:

It should be fun to play on your 360.

I plan on buying the 360 version as well. I'm even getting extra copies of the 360 version for my grandparents.

Argh. I wanna buy a 360, but not if it's going to break on me.

OH MY GOD NOW I WONT GET IT :rolleyes:

Why does it matter so much again?

We just need to make a thread where you can sling shit at each other.

One forum I was on had something called the "flame pit" where there was no moderation or anything. We need to send you guys to one of those.

It's called Random Thoughts. :hardgay:

do you really think an "analyst" from GamePro knows anything about software developement?

also, suck on what? how does this relate to me, as a person, at all? I don't even like grand theft auto, I hope they cancel it. or i hope you buy it and then your 360 fails.

Well yes i would think so considering well they have probably spoken to Rockstar itself about the issue and also many software developers have come out and said that it is difficult to develop games for the PS3.

On top of that if i remember correctly and I'm pretty sure i do a few months a go when the first GTA4 trailer was released you said that it looked interesting and that you were considering to buy the game when it came so.

• 1 month later...

Now stumbling on this thread a month and a half late, I'm not surprised that the game is delayed, particularly for the PS3. Whatever it is about development on the console, it seems to be challenging, to say the least. This is evidenced by the lack of good games, and that all the really good games take a fuckton longer to develop than all the other ones.

Granted: most good games tend to take longer than shitty games. Point in case, the PS3's good-to-bad game ratio is way skewed (excluding the ps2 library), and that's probably because developing for that console is exeedingly difficult.

• 4 months later...