Accelerated Evolution

SD's Epic Japan Trip Thread

Okay, well, thanks to extremely good planning and some good friends, I've arranged a month long trip to Japan at a total preliminary cost of $180 (not including train fares, eating out, etc.). How? Well, I have relatives willing to donate their copious amounts of frequent flyer miles, as well as good friends in Tokyo willing to let me stay with them.

There is only one "catch."

Since they are all busy with their lives (working, studying for college entrance exams, etc.) they will be gone all day on the weekdays, and request me to be out of the apartment also.

Which means that I will be "forced" to spend every day for at least three weeks in a different area of Tokyo (and some outside of it).

I leave tomorrow and will arrive the day after tomorrow, on September 8th. That is, assuming Typhoon Fitow doesn't affect Chiba. If it does and my flight into Narita is cancelled, I'll have to wait a couple of weeks. But so far it's only affected flights at Haneda in Tokyo.

I have a camera and plenty of memory cards, so check back for pics to indicate that it did, indeed, happen. :hardgay:

PS- I think I'm still a few days short in terms of locations, so if anyone has any good ideas, please post them.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go visit a love hotel so this thread can be updated with more 'truff.

Find a guy at a bar that's piss drunk and try to convince him that you're with a top secret service agency back in the US and that they are currently growing a real life Godzilla. Advise him that if Japan wants to be on top, they should start creating a Mecha Godzilla now. You don't need to tell him to make any Gundams, I'm sure Japan is way ahead on all of us with the mobile robot units.

Go out in Tokyo and find CheapyD. It shouldn't be that hard to locate a tall bald american male with thick eyebrows. When you do, rub his head. I hear the Japanese say it brings you good luck. Hey, you might not need to pay for that love hotel after all!

万歳!!

try and get into some trouble over there. not a ton, just enough to get whistles blown at you a few times

This is definitely a good idea. What's the point of going to Japan if you don't mess with Japanese people?

Also, you should get connected with the underground Japanese Street Races that I know they have over there. As pictured in 3Fast 3Furious.

It is impossible to dork up Japan.

So, I am here, in Chidoricho, Tokyo. Finally got my computer to work with their Ethernet. Today I practiced using the JR with my friend; we went to Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Harajuku before coming back. So far there have been too many "wtf Japan" things to take pictures of, but I got at least one or two on camera. There's one, I think it's a gum ad or something, with a Japanese guy with a huge afro shouting and pointing at a flaming pack of gum. It's awesome. There should be a lot more after my trip to Akihabara next week. Also, there were a bunch of cosplayers in Harajuku near the Meiji temple, but there were too many people lined up to take pictures so I didn't get any. Also, in what may be the greatest coincidence of all time, I saw an American friend of mine at the Harajuku station. Well, I was waiting for the train and he was on the other side of the fence so we didn't talk much, but still, the odds of that are not good.

A couple of pictures from today.

Me in front of the sake barrels at the Meiji Temple in Harajuku:

DSC00295.jpg

Some random character outside a building in the Shinjuku station (where a clown was performing earlier):

DSC00289.jpg

The gate at the Meiji temple.

DSC00296.jpg

I'd give you advice... but its been nearly a year and I've forgot nearly everywhere I spent time. Just make sure you take advantage of the all you can eat karaoke/icecream/booze for 2000 yen. Seriously. There's one that I know of in Asakusa. I'll try and think the next couple days and try to give you some more sound advice. Try and find the Sega arcade in Shinjuku where Daigo and all the uber gamers hang out. It'll most DEFINITELY give you an appreciation of how much you suck at videogames, that's for sure.

Dude, I went to a Sega arcade yesterday (though I think it was in Shibuya). I played this Initial D racing game with my friend and he won, but only barely.

Also, played Evangelion Pachinko today. I sucked at it. I also played an Eva slot machine and sucked at that and lost 100 yen, but whatever. Today I went to the places I went yesterday and also Akihabara and Yoyogi, where I ate at a sushi-go-round. I might post some pictures of today once I upload them to my computer, but there wasn't anything spectacular.

Everyone says navigating the JR train lines is hard, but I rode them alone all around Tokyo today without a problem.

Jeff, if you can afford it, get me some fruit-flavored candy and/or some mochi. Otherwise, don't bother giving "no" a second thought.

Will do. There's a grocery store right down the street and that stuff can't be expensive. Then again, it IS Japan...

Dude, I went to a Sega arcade yesterday (though I think it was in Shibuya). I played this Initial D racing game with my friend and he won, but only barely.

Also, played Evangelion Pachinko today. I sucked at it. I also played an Eva slot machine and sucked at that and lost 100 yen, but whatever. Today I went to the places I went yesterday and also Akihabara and Yoyogi, where I ate at a sushi-go-round. I might post some pictures of today once I upload them to my computer, but there wasn't anything spectacular.

Everyone says navigating the JR train lines is hard, but I rode them alone all around Tokyo today without a problem.

Will do. There's a grocery store right down the street and that stuff can't be expensive. Then again, it IS Japan...

You damn post some damn pictures of that Sega Arcade, you know how much I love Sega.

Comin' right up. This is going to be a pretty picture heavy post.

Me and my friend racing on some Initial D game (or about to race, and you can't see me since I was taking the picture):

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00334.jpg

I have a video of me playing an Evangelion slot machine, but posting it impractical, so I'll just show it to you when I get back.

Also, today I rode the Ginza line around and went to Asakusa (mainly Sensoji), Ueno, and Ginza.

At Sensoji (as you can see, it rained fairly hard today):

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

(That's me holding the umbrella... you can see a bunch of others getting their pictures taken around me.)

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

(That's me holding the umbrella... you can see a bunch of others getting their pictures taken around me.)

Well at least I can take comfort in knowing that even in Japan, the Japanese are tourists.

Seriously though, I really want to visit Japan. But it's becoming increasingly harder for me to do such. My next, and likely final, study abroad trip will be to Athens (They have this awesome history program there). After college I have no idea when I'll find the money to travel unless I fulfill my far-fetched dream of working for a travel company or something.