Accelerated Evolution

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

Belial

I've heard rumors that they're going to base it off of the Star Wars d20 rules.

I'm completely sick of d20 as a rules system. These days I'll argue with my gamer friends for hours just to play anything else, because I'm assured it's better, haha.

But yeah, all I've heard are minor fixes, like "improved grappling rules! Armor as DR actually instead of bullshit optional rules!" The thing is, Star Wars d20 is just like normal d20 with a more complicated combat system and a better magic system. Though I'm sure they won't use the same magic system, since it would get rid of crap like "Magic Missile" and "Melf's Acid Arrow," which are, I'm sad (happy?) to say, are what DND is all about.

I've heard rumors that they're going to base it off of the Star Wars d20 rules.

I'm completely sick of d20 as a rules system. These days I'll argue with my gamer friends for hours just to play anything else, because I'm assured it's better, haha.

But yeah, all I've heard are minor fixes, like "improved grappling rules! Armor as DR actually instead of bullshit optional rules!" The thing is, Star Wars d20 is just like normal d20 with a more complicated combat system and a better magic system. Though I'm sure they won't use the same magic system, since it would get rid of crap like "Magic Missile" and "Melf's Acid Arrow," which are, I'm sad (happy?) to say, are what DND is all about.

There are Youtube videos of Gencon where they announced it and the stuff they're saying sounds pretty decent. They want to make every class fun from lvls 1-30 and they want to streamline the rules so there's next to no downtime and far less arguments about stupid rules (grapple, bullrush, charge, etc...)

There are Youtube videos of Gencon where they announced it and the stuff they're saying sounds pretty decent. They want to make every class fun from lvls 1-30 and they want to streamline the rules so there's next to no downtime and far less arguments about stupid rules (grapple, bullrush, charge, etc...)

That sounds a lot better than what I heard about.

I'd love it if they streamlined the whole system. I don't think they'd move away from class/level, but I guess they don't really have to.

I'm a bit worried about how they're breaking things into Striker, Leader, whatever. That four persona thing. I'm actually worried about what they're going to do with the Forgotten Realms, as it is my favorite setting. They're turning Demons into Elementalesque things so the Blood War is apparently over, and Mystra was killed by Cyric and Azuth is MIA so there's no deity of magic except Shar, sorta, but the Shadow Weave is gone because the Weave like asploded with the death of Mystra and now Cyric is out in nowhere land, banished or something. Drizzt and Elminster live, but apparently a lot of casters and magic based places were raped and pwned. I hope Dove Silverhand lives, I like her. Apparently Silverymoon is functioning but I get this vague idea that the subtitle to the new FR campaign setting will be APOCALYPSE NOW!

Quoting The Grand History of the Realms book:

1385 DR Year of Blue Fire

Unthinkable catastrophe occurs when Cyric, aided and abetted by Shar, murders Mystra in Dweomerheart. The plane itself disintegrates at once, destroying Savras and sending the gods Azuth and Velsharoon reeling into the endless Astral Plane. Without Mystra to govern the Weave, magic bursts its bonds all across Faerun and the surrounding planes and runs wild. In Faerun, this event is known as the Spellplague. Thousands of mages are driven insane or destroyed, and the very substance of the world becomes mutable beneath beils of azure fire that dance across the skies by night or by day.

Many planes are shifted or destroyed as well. Only greater deities prove strong enough to maintain their realms against the resultant chaos. Tyr, Lathander, and Sune move against Cyric and successfully imprison the Black Sun in his Supreme Throne, under
a sentence of house arrest
to last one thousand years.

Sages in centuries to come mark the Weave's destruction in the Year of Blue Fire as the end of the old world, and the terrible beginning of the new.

ARGH! We just got through the fucking Times of Trouble and this is like the fourth Goddess who went by the name Mystra who has died. re;gojurheg;iakehrg;aeigha;lerhgah;eg I hope the campaign setting doesn't have retarded rules about magic making you go nuts or some shit. Argh.

FR... :(

Oh, and I think 4.0 is a cash grab.

I'm a bit worried about how they're breaking things into Striker, Leader, whatever. That four persona thing. I'm actually worried about what they're going to do with the Forgotten Realms, as it is my favorite setting. They're turning Demons into Elementalesque things so the Blood War is apparently over, and Mystra was killed by Cyric and Azuth is MIA so there's no deity of magic except Shar, sorta, but the Shadow Weave is gone because the Weave like asploded with the death of Mystra and now Cyric is out in nowhere land, banished or something. Drizzt and Elminster live, but apparently a lot of casters and magic based places were raped and pwned. I hope Dove Silverhand lives, I like her. Apparently Silverymoon is functioning but I get this vague idea that the subtitle to the new FR campaign setting will be APOCALYPSE NOW!

Quoting The Grand History of the Realms book:

1385 DR Year of Blue Fire

Unthinkable catastrophe occurs when Cyric, aided and abetted by Shar, murders Mystra in Dweomerheart. The plane itself disintegrates at once, destroying Savras and sending the gods Azuth and Velsharoon reeling into the endless Astral Plane. Without Mystra to govern the Weave, magic bursts its bonds all across Faerun and the surrounding planes and runs wild. In Faerun, this event is known as the Spellplague. Thousands of mages are driven insane or destroyed, and the very substance of the world becomes mutable beneath beils of azure fire that dance across the skies by night or by day.

Many planes are shifted or destroyed as well. Only greater deities prove strong enough to maintain their realms against the resultant chaos. Tyr, Lathander, and Sune move against Cyric and successfully imprison the Black Sun in his Supreme Throne, under a sentence of house arrest to last one thousand years.

Sages in centuries to come mark the Weave's destruction in the Year of Blue Fire as the end of the old world, and the terrible beginning of the new.

ARGH! We just got through the fucking Times of Trouble and this is like the fourth Goddess who went by the name Mystra who has died. re;gojurheg;iakehrg;aeigha;lerhgah;eg I hope the campaign setting doesn't have retarded rules about magic making you go nuts or some shit. Argh.

FR... :(

Oh, and I think 4.0 is a cash grab.

They lasted 25 years with two versions, and now in 7 years they are already tired of 3rd?

WTF?

I'm switching to GURP

It's not really even just 3rd... Because of 3.5 they got even less mileage.

Still, it's a good business move. Remember that TSR did go out of business, and a lot of that was because they didn't publish a new edition, just more and more terrible, terrible sourcebooks (which, if you'll notice, Wizards has started to do now with their monthly releases, like "Expanded Psionic's Handbook of the Bear +5 II").

I don't like GURPS much. I'm more of a guy who likes to change systems a lot. Lately I've been enjoying Savage Worlds and d6 Fantasy, though.

4e is an obvious cash grab. 3.5 is an awesome system and has some great books but they started releasing loads of books with all crunch and no fluff and now that they're running out of shit to publish, they're revamping everything so they can release more unnecesarry crunch books. I hope they improve melee classes and nerf Clerics and Druids... and like... add more fluff. I love fluff.

What's particularly funny is that Eberron is only 2 or 3 years old and it's going to be changed to 4e before the setting even has a chance to flesh out on the level of Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms.

I hope when I get to college I can find dedicated 3.5ers.

• 7 months later...

Is combat fast?

Yes. Way faster. Especially if you count the fact that we were playing with incomplete rules, so had to look stuff up a lot, and we were all new to the system.

It's hard to say why it was faster. I dunno. It really doesn't seem that different from 3rd edition, but I guess it's the little things that make a huge difference?

Interesting thing: pretty much no one ever uses a normal attack. You have three kinds of abilities (be they called spells for wizards, prayers for paladins/clerics, powers for warlocks, or whatever) -- At Will, Encounter, and Daily. At Will you can use as many times as you want -- for example, Magic Missile is now an At Will spell. Gone are the days of Wizards running out of spells and either skipping every turn or trying to wack something with their staff to no effect. Encounter you can use once per encounter (so, once per fight or once per roleplaying scene), and Daily you can obviously use once per day.

I played a Paladin who had some pretty fun abilities. Lay on Hands let another character use a healing surge (see below) for free, and Divine Challenge made it so any enemy I 'marked' would get a -2 to attack and take five damage if they attacked anyone besides me (see how it's like WoW?). Also, if I was fighting someone I challenged, I could use a special ability to get +3 to hit.

Also, Healing Surges are really cool. If you spend a whole turn in full defense, you get a quarter of your hit points back. You only have a limited number of surges, though. Clerics and Paladins don't actually have healing spells anymore, just spells that let other PCs use their healing surges for free. Also, no more rolling for HP when you level up anymore, which is awesome.

Reflex, Will, and Fortitude all work like AC now. So instead of your Fort being a '+5' or whatever, it's ten + class bonus + ability modifer. Certain attacks will target Reflex or Fort instead of AC. There are way less skills, and the skill system is more straightforward.

It seems that in 4th Edition, it's carefully designed so that every character has something useful to do every turn (unless of course you die -- our party was doing really well, so the GM threw a level 10 monster at us -- of course, we were level one).

Overall, the game is much faster and way more fun. Even though we were all at level one we all had a blast and felt like we could take on really powerful enemies. I'm definitely going to get the PHB when it comes out. The difference between 4th and 3.5 isn't too pronounced, but 4th really has it where it counts, I think. At the end of the session we all noted how much it was like World of Warcraft, but, contrary to my previous decision, that's a good thing. I totally came into the game expecting to hate it, because it was based on WoW and 3.5, both of which I hate. But I realized, they streamlined 3.5 and took some great aspects from WoW, and it doesn't suck because it doesn't have any of the problems with WoW -- no grinding, because it's a pen and paper RPG, and it's story driven... Because it's a pen and paper RPG.