Accelerated Evolution

Clive Barker's Jericho

J-Stop

Anyone pick this title up this week? It's a squad based FPS with the story written by Clive Barker. Reviews are pegging it as very hit or miss.

I've been playing it off and on this morning and the first hour seemed like it was shaping up to be a really atmospheric and fun game. Well, until getting to level two where shit hits the fan and becomes a horrible unbalanced mess of unforgiving and cheap enemies, stupid AI (for both your teammates and enemies), and dialog that sounds like a bunch of drunken frat boys were writing it on their free time.

Seriously everything just goes so wrong. Your enemies can adsorb bullets like a sponge yet all of your teammates can die within a few hits and the special abilities you get through each squad member seem so useless except for Cole's ability to slow down time and Black's soul bullets.

Played the demo. It seemed really, really roughly put together. The demo play area was pretty "meh" from a design standpoint, and although all the unit members felt different, none of them seemed particularly well realized.

Everything stands out as horrible game design a few hours in. The game couldn't have been play tested, and if it was, then someone needs a swift kick in the balls for thinking the flamerthrower monsters who can shoot through walls and cover half way across the screen with the flame and then placing them in cramped areas while having them pop up at a seconds notice was a good idea.

Everything stands out as horrible game design a few hours in. The game couldn't have been play tested, and if it was, then someone needs a swift kick in the balls for thinking the flamerthrower monsters who can shoot through walls and cover half way across the screen with the flame and then placing them in cramped areas while having them pop up at a seconds notice was a good idea.

That was really the overall impression I got.

The exact reason I'm not even going to bother with the Demo

The demo didn't impress me much. The only thing I like about it is the demon designs.

From what I saw in the demo, I thought the demon designs were very halfassed. They looked as poorly animated, designed, and rendered as something plucked from Silent Hill...the first one...on PS1...and they looked better in Silent Hill.

I am being somewhat harsh, but I found the enemy designs very uninspired and unoriginal. The aesthetic for the ally characters was "interesting" (please tune in to the Peter Griffin Side Boob Hour for more details), but having a male voice perpetually coming out of your seemingly-all-female squad was something that messed with me. I can understand not being able to shoot your teammates, but come on, if there's a big hulking mass of a character you're shooting at, he should NOT sound like such a fruit. Further, I think all the characters actually sound the same.

Telekinesis Powers in an FPS is not a bad idea, but was better implemented in System Shock 2.

As was posted already, this game is an example of poor game design. It got 3's and 4's from GameInformer, and I didn't like it much myself. It doesn't help this game at all that BioShock and Halo 3 beat it to the shelves, and subsequently to the curb.