Accelerated Evolution

Looking to start playing an instrument

Samurai Drifter

Alright, so since I'll probably have a new source of income soon, I'm looking to start playing either the guitar or bass. I played the drums for about 4 years, if that provides any background.

Which would you recommend? And what types/models of each are best? Should I get a cheap one to start out with and if I find that I'm serious about it later get a more expensive one, or should I go all-out from the start? Would I start out with a 4,5, or 6 string bass? That sort of thing.

Gimme some advice.

Guitarists always want new guitars and bassists always want a new bass so I would suggest going bottom of the barrel just to start. Then once you know more about what you want to play and what you'll require of your instrument you can make a second, more informed purchase.

Well, I don't know shit about bass, but when it comes to guitar...

The make and model of guitar you buy, generally reflects what kind of music you intend to play. For instance, Fenders handle Blues and Jazz well, where as something like an Ibanez or Jackson leans more towards rock and more likely, metal. Beyond that, there are little things people have quips about. For instance, the only reason I play Ibanez is because of their RG models which have a very nice feel to them. They're relatively light and the necks are very fast and thin. Whereas say a Schecter's neck is like a fucking baseball bat. It could be thickness or scale of the neck or maybe they like a certain kind of tone wood or body shape or pickup arrangement or whatever. I can help you with this if you tell me what you'll be playing or what your style leans towards, etc.

If you're not totally sure if you want to be doing this, don't buy something nice. Get something basic, but not shitty. Cause the better your shit is, the better you'll sound. My first guitar was a no name piece of shit, but I played it till I felt good and ready to trade up. Then when I did, I felt like I could do so much more and now I have a seven and possibilities are endless. I can't really help you until you let me know what kind of stuff you'll play and if you have any preferences. Then you'll have to look into an amp...

What's that supposed to mean? I don't mean like if you get good gear you get good, but if you have shit gear it doesn't matter how good you are it'll still sound like shit.

I've been to amazing concerts where the band was playing Epiphone Guitars and Basses. Its all about what kind of sound you're going for.

I'd recommend getting an acoustic guitar, unless you really have your heart set on an electric one.

The reason I say acoustic guitar is because it's easier to impress you friends with it, as you can carry it around and look really casual. In the words of Foldered, "I'm a genius. No big deal."

No, seriously, acoustic guitars are harder to play, you have to push down your fingers harder, etc; so when you make the shift to electric guitars you'll be that much better. Plus, acoustic guitars are just simpler for starting out as you don't have to worry about getting an amp, etc.

Generally things like 5, 6 stringed basses and 7 stringed guitars are for more advanced players. If you really want to it's not a bad idea as it gives you more range but you might just want to keep things simple for now. A four string bass still has incredible range on it.

If you do want to get an electric guitar, most guitar stores will have some sort of deal where you can get a beginner level electric guitar, gig bag, cables, and a practice amp for like $200-$250. This is a pretty good deal in my book. I started out with a Fender Squier Stratocaster, and I'd recommend it. It's not a great guitar, nor do I ever play it anymore; but it was an excellent deal for when I bought it, and it still had a pretty good sound (though a Stratocaster was what I was looking for at the time).

What does that have to do with what I said? You confuse me.

Oh and Robin's idea isn't a bad idea at all. Two or three of my friends went that road.

The point is I don't think a beginning player should worry at all about how proficient the equipment is, they should only be worried about their own proficiency.

Here's the thing- my dad used to play guitar, and has three- a Fender Stratocaster, a Jackson of some sort, and an old acoustic one.

So I'm thinking guitar. I still think the bass would be cool though.

I started on my mom's old acoustic, it took me where I needed to go in the beginning, and I'm infinitely thankful for that.

Electribe-MX-lg.jpg

thats what i would go for...

but in all seriousness, If you played drums for a while, try to get a nice kit and a double bass pedal, bands are always looking for good drummers. I would recommend a pearl forum kit if you want a starter kit, if you want a mid range kit i would go with either that new series of yamaha's or the gretsch Catalina club sets (amazing for the price,) and if you want a high end kit i would look for a vintage slingerland or a high end yamaha or DW

I've heard that you have to be really, really good with it before you can do anything that sounds cool. How much truth is there to this statement?

Not really true at all. I have a bass but I don't learn to play songs on it or anything, I just play around with it. It's a lot of fun and it sounds pretty rad.

Most bands horribly misuse their bass players, though.