Accelerated Evolution

Need your help to decide if this is a good idea for a final

My final project for my design class is coming up. We have to combine images and words in a clever way. My instructor gave us examples from some magazine that was a little too political for my blood. Alot of the student examples were heavily political too. There was one student one I liked that had a picture of the earth with a series of bullet holes creating a peace sign and then at the bottom it said "World Piece" using guns to spell the letters. There were some funny ones too like one had the king from the Burger King commercials with a blue paper dress on holding on to an IV pole and it said "Bypass King" in the Burger King font. I hate overly out spoken political shit, so I came up with this:

Since alot of the examples he showed us were parodies of products, I was thinking of finding or making a box for a label maker. Then have pictures of people who represent high school stereotypes and over their eyes would be a black bar that read whatever their "label" was. So if I did it like a product image it would have the brand of the label maker and then somewhere beneath I thought it'd be nifty to have it say, "What's in a name?" and be just subtle enough to make people take a second to do some connecting the dots.

I need some input since it's a final project I could use alot of input on the idea before execution. Also I need some help with naming stereotypes. I was thinking 10 or 12 people intermixed with a hallway back drop. So far I have:

1.Emo

2.Nerd

3.Jock

4.Metalhead

5.Punk

6.Prep

7.Pothead

8.Ghetto/G

9.Skank/Slut

I feel like there are some key ones I'm missing. Regardless, what do you folks think?

goth

Good call.

sounds good. i recommend making fewer stereotypes though, and SUPER exaggerating the ones you do make. unless it's a photocollage thing, then just do what you do :cool:

It is. I'm probably going to have to photoshop the hell out of it, but it's not due till the 15th of next month so I've got time. My collage project idea sucks so far so I'm hoping this final redeems it.

DesignFinalcopy.jpg

It's a little boring now, but I have two weeks to work on it. Thoughts?

I'm having trouble finding usable pictures for the stereotypes. Some I can do myself or ask m friends for, but if you guys have anything that could help me, I'd appreciate it. My final stereotype list is as follows:

1.Emo

1.Nerd

3.Jock

4.Metalhead *

5.Punk

6.Prep *

7.Stoner

8.Gangsta *

9.Goth

10.Hot chick *

Anything with an asterisk I can manage, but everything else I could use your help rounding up some usable images.

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of the stereotypes I would say are rather inappropriate for school stereotypes. While we ourselves would easily pick up a metalhead many people in a school would never label them that, but label them either emo or goth. Same applies to Punk. However one that would generally apply that would be very similar to both metalhead or punk would be the criminal/rebel name made famous by Bender from the breakfast club. So I would generally go with something like that and have a rebel or criminal label. Same thing applies to Makil's suggestion of Band geek as it just gets clumped in with Nerds. I#'m taking your hot chick to be a cheerleader/slut person if not I would have slut simply as the high school slutty girl everyone knows they can bang and also have a cheerleader as another label.

The whole thing really reminds of a Breakfast Club sorta thing. But generally for masses to get I think you should take away some of the labels and replace them with others due to them not been recognized by other members of public education.

Point taken, however I've decided to go in a different direction.

Instead of only having a few and lining them up, I will instead set it up like a yearbook page. It will have the miniature portraits in a grid formation. In the portrait will be a proper name that will be "scribbled out" and on the actual portrait, bar the eyes with said label. For example:

Emokid.jpg

Something like that, but that's not exactly what it'll look like. Basically I'll have them tile like so and in the middle have the Label Maker logo and product illustration. This way I'm not bound to a few select labels and even if one person doesn't understand what I "call" a label, it's not a big deal cause there will be close to 50 portraits and people just have to understand that people are being generalized and that a product [in this case a label maker] is being spoofed. Outside of that I don't really care. I ran it by my professor today and he was really diggin' it. Wish me luck.

Wiki it.

It's basically me. Which is so lame.

Many thanks kind sir, but after looking into that I hardly see how that's lame. :awesome:

Here's a batch I just finished. All of them have been [painstakingly] cut so it may look a little rough in places but I just printed off nine of them and it's hardly noticeable. The way they appear before you open them to see "actual" size is how it would look if you saw it on the sheets I print out.

They're 2.5" x 3.5" in actuality and my professor has been giving me nothing but praise so far. I'll upload the final product after critique on the 17th. I'll be back full time after then. Cheers.

post-50-1197386107_thumb.jpg

post-50-1197386121_thumb.jpg

post-50-1197386133_thumb.jpg

post-50-1197386143_thumb.jpg

No relation.

So, get this shit:

I was taking my sweet ass time to make them and all and then I went to my night class on Tuesday. I was there before anyone else and this Russian lady who is in my design class [the one that this project was for] was making small talk with me. She then asked me if I'd have my design project for tomorrow. I said "...tomorrow?" She said "Yeah, why?". This interaction lasted all of a few seconds but in no short time I left my class and went home. I had done 8 portraits and there were still 42 to go as well as a specialty print for the middle section. So from 10:30 last night till 5:45 this morning, without stopping, I finished all of them and it was a hit. I'm tired as all of fuck because in another hour and a half I will have gone 24 hours with only one hour of sleep. I had math class this morning, for which I had a test that I failed miserably cause I didn't get to study because I had to finish my design final and then I just got back from seeing my girlfriend which if I didn't stick my head under the shower and drink some coffee, would have left me an absolute fucking zombie. Now that all the caffeine and such is worn off and there's nothing left to do until Monday [Last class of the whole fucking semester thank Christ.] and I think I could do with some down time. I'll post a picture tomorrow or later tonight if for some crazy reason I don't pass out.

Here it is.

The stereotypes:

Row 1: Gossip, Rocker Chick, Lady's Man, Anorexic, Surfer Dude, Miss Perfect, Gamer, Overachiever, Hot Chick, Hipster, Cheerleader

Row 2: Jr. Executive, Punk Rocker, Freak, Yuppie, Class Clown, Goth, Jock, Loser, Hippie, Tough Guy, White Trash

Row 3: Diva, Band Geek, Gangsta, Poser, Foreign Girl, Party Guy

Row 4: Mama's Boy, Stoner, Hardcore, Fashionista, Metrosexual, Mallcore, Artsy, Nerd, Scene, Muscle Head, Slacker

Row 5: Toolbox, Skank, Indie, Metalhead, Skater, Redneck, Emo, Wigger, Dork, Prep, Two-Face

Middle: Label Maker 350DX | It's what's in a name.

Verdict: Because I was out of time when I started it, I had to rush it a little. The cuts of the portraits are just so off and the photoshop work on some of the final ones is outright deplorable. Some of the labels are weaker too, but that's a result of finishing it at 5 in the morning without taking a break since 10:30 the night before. My professor loved it and his only beef was with craftsmanship [the portraits could've been better aligned.] and my classmates loved it and thought it was funny as hell. Which is good because that's kind of the intention. I haven't gotten the grade yet, but I'm positive it's an A. [Especially because what I was up against wasn't terribly well executed.]

Comments on final?

Here it is.

The stereotypes:

Row 1: Gossip, Rocker Chick, Lady's Man, Anorexic, Surfer Dude, Miss Perfect, Gamer, Overachiever, Hot Chick, Hipster, Cheerleader

Row 2: Jr. Executive, Punk Rocker, Freak, Yuppie, Class Clown, Goth, Jock, Loser, Hippie, Tough Guy, White Trash

Row 3: Diva, Band Geek, Gangsta, Poser, Foreign Girl, Party Guy

Row 4: Mama's Boy, Stoner, Hardcore, Fashionista, Metrosexual, Mallcore, Artsy, Nerd, Scene, Muscle Head, Slacker

Row 5: Toolbox, Skank, Indie, Metalhead, Skater, Redneck, Emo, Wigger, Dork, Prep, Two-Face

Middle: Label Maker 350DX | It's what's in a name.

Verdict: Because I was out of time when I started it, I had to rush it a little. The cuts of the portraits are just so off and the photoshop work on some of the final ones is outright deplorable. Some of the labels are weaker too, but that's a result of finishing it at 5 in the morning without taking a break since 10:30 the night before. My professor loved it and his only beef was with craftsmanship [the portraits could've been better aligned.] and my classmates loved it and thought it was funny as hell. Which is good because that's kind of the intention. I haven't gotten the grade yet, but I'm positive it's an A. [Especially because what I was up against wasn't terribly well executed.]

Comments on final?

post-50-1197595249_thumb.jpg