Accelerated Evolution

Good PC games

FaultyClockwork

Between The Longest Journey, Medieval II, Call of Duty 4 and my rig upgrade, my interest in PC gaming has been revived. I need to be playing multiply games at once because of my ADD tendancies so I'm asking for some suggestions on essential PC games and your opinions on the following:

-Bioshock

-Silent Hill 3

-Crysis

-The Orange Box

-Grim Fandango

I'd like to play a WWII FPS and I'm interested mainly in shooters, adventure, fantasy and a bit of horror, and really anything else you deem worth mentioning. Also, two other questions:

1) Have any of you played The Longest Journey? I need help.

2) I used to play Half-Life: Source a lot and stopped playing near the end, around the part where you're trying to get through the area where there are orbs of light you teleport through. Should I pick it back up after so long a time or just go straight to HL2?

-Bioshock

-Silent Hill 3

-Crysis

-The Orange Box

-Grim Fandango

:thumps up: to everything on the list. Bioshock is a little bland gameplay wise but everything else in the game makes up for it.

Few other suggestions:

Silent Hill 2

No One Lives Forever (1 and 2)

Freedom Fighters

FarCry (it's free now)

Serious Sam

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Typing of the Dead

Deus Ex (both 1 and Invisible War. IW isn't as good as the first but it's worth a playthrough)

F.E.A.R.

Indigo Prophecy

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

None of what I've listed won't push your hardware, especially if you have the sucker playing Crysis. But they are all pretty cheap and fun games.

Gears of War also came out recently which is tons of fun both on single player and multi.

2) I used to play Half-Life: Source a lot and stopped playing near the end, around the part where you're trying to get through the area where there are orbs of light you teleport through. Should I pick it back up after so long a time or just go straight to HL2?

You are/were just about at the end of the game. If you still have the save file, boot it up and finish it, there's barely two hours of game left. If you don't then just watch the ending from Youtube and start on HL2.

The Call of Duty games are pretty fun. I played Call of Duty 4 over at my friend's house for hours a couple days ago, it's a really awesome game.

I don't know if you'd dig these games at all as they're pretty much the exact opposite of FPS games, but Paradox Interactive makes a number of amazing historical strategy games that I recommend to everyone, even though they have fairly limited appeal. Europa Universalis III came out at the beginning of this year, and it's set in the time period between 1453 and 1820. You play on a very zoomed out world map and direct colonization efforts, wars, and diplomacy. It's really fun. They also have some older games, like one set in Medieval Europe called Crusader Kings, which is a similar idea but it's all about your family lineage and things like that.

I mention these because you mentioned Medieval II. It's sort of like Medieval II without the battles, and not turn based, but incredibly better and more immersive.

Ooh. That reminds me. The game I can never play (crappy computer and even crappier internet connection), even though I love it unconditionally: Dystopia. It's a mod for Source that's pretty much the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played.

It requires actual teamwork rather than just being really good with the sniper rifle. I seriously cannot play Counterstrike because of this game, it just seems so terrible to me.

Ooh. That reminds me. The game I can never play (crappy computer and even crappier internet connection), even though I love it unconditionally: Dystopia. It's a mod for Source that's pretty much the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played.

It requires actual teamwork rather than just being really good with the sniper rifle. I seriously cannot play Counterstrike because of this game, it just seems so terrible to me.

yea i've heard of that, I have yet to download it and check it out though.

It's really fun. The only real problem with it is that, since it requires a good team, playing on public servers can sometimes be really frustrating. Of course, the level design for all the official maps is really good.

It really is different from most FPS games. Sitting around killing people won't help your team at all, it will in fact hurt it, as you're probably not helping with the objective. Instead, you need to cooperate with your teammates, something that rarely ever happens in other FPS games.

It's really fun. The only real problem with it is that, since it requires a good team, playing on public servers can sometimes be really frustrating. Of course, the level design for all the official maps is really good.

It really is different from most FPS games. Sitting around killing people won't help your team at all, it will in fact hurt it, as you're probably not helping with the objective. Instead, you need to cooperate with your teammates, something that rarely ever happens in other FPS games.

Another source game you should look into is The Hidden. The basis of the gameplay is that there is an escaped subject of medical experiments that is nearly invisible and very strong. One person plays as "the hidden" and the rest of the players are member of a SWAT team. It's amazingly fun because you have the entire team running around the level with their noses right up against their monitors looking for the faint blur that means the hidden has lept off of a wall towards you and is about to kill you with his knife. I uesd to spend entire nights playing this game with my friend.

Another source game you should look into is The Hidden. The basis of the gameplay is that there is an escaped subject of medical experiments that is nearly invisible and very strong. One person plays as "the hidden" and the rest of the players are member of a SWAT team. It's amazingly fun because you have the entire team running around the level with their noses right up against their monitors looking for the faint blur that means the hidden has lept off of a wall towards you and is about to kill you with his knife. I uesd to spend entire nights playing this game with my friend.

THAT looks epic