Accelerated Evolution

Where is home?

Ceraziefish

This is something that's been on my mind a lot lately. I don't know if it really belongs here or in life discussion, but I'm gonna put it here? I don't know.

What do you guys think about the idea of "home"? Is your home where you sleep at night, or is it more than that? Is it a place where you're safe, or a place you can retreat to when things get hard? Is it a place where you're comfortable? Where you can be surrounded by family and/or friends?

Or is it not even really a physical place, but a state of mind? Is it possible to live somewhere for months and not feel at home, versus only stay somewhere fifteen minutes and feel great there?

What does home mean to you? Is it important, or not? Do you need to have one? Do you, personally, feel like you have one?

To be honest, I don't really have a "home". I mean, I do, but not really. I sleep in this house and stuff like that but nothing more.

I guess you could say my grandparent's house is a retreat type place, they live 5-10 minutes away from here...

I'm not surrounded by friends barely ever, unless I am at school. My mom's one of those uptight weird-o's who only lets you go to friends houses once a blue moon. I wish I could go over my friend's houses more but I guess she thinks I have no friends and never wanna go anywhere or do things that I enjoy...

err, sorry for ranting, but yeah I guess it's important for me to have a retreat because some parts of family become frustrating and I don't enjoy it all the time.

Wherever I am living at the present.

For instance, when I was in Japan I thought of returning to my friends' apartment as going home (in a more temporary sense). But in general, I guess I think of the town I live in as home.

I never thought of London as home, even though I was there for close to 4 months.

I never thought of London as home, even though I was there for close to 4 months.

As I said, in a more temporary sense. Like, I wouldn't have a problem saying "I'm going to head home now" if I was going back to the apartment, even though it's not my "home" per se, because it's where I was staying at the time and it was more permanent than a hotel room.

i've been thinking a lot about this lately.

i think the closest thing to home i have right now is my Van.

not in the way that that's where i live, but its just a very comfortable place to be in.

i guess i feel at home on long drives?

I agree with this sentiment, except I drive a pick-up.

We actually discussed this in my english class one time during a poetry sess. We say home is generally a place you feel safe and for most people a place where they grew up and spent most of their life (being it a happy life). Where you feel secure and belong. I personally along with a friend of mine say we never really felt attached to any place and don't consider to have a home yet, due to us moving around a lot as a kid and never truly got attached. I wouldn't actually say I have a home till I got my own place that I didn't intend moving from.