Accelerated Evolution

peak oil

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peak oil? Is that a complete sentence?

Yeah, it is.

She's not asking you if you're scared of running out of oil, peak oil is when the world's oil production will reach an all-time high, and due to lack of reserves/use of the oil we have, we can only go downhill from there.

So, yes, eventually that will lead to running out of oil, but theoretically for awhile we'll have oil prices going up drastically etc..

Hay, it's CTL.

Yeah, it is.

She's not asking you if you're scared of running out of oil, peak oil is when the world's oil production will reach an all-time high, and due to lack of reserves/use of the oil we have, we can only go downhill from there.

So, yes, eventually that will lead to running out of oil, but theoretically for awhile we'll have oil prices going up drastically etc..

Hay, it's CTL.

I am not worried about that eventuality. Do you (its a rhetorical you, not you specifically) have any idea how much oil there is sitting in Colorado in shale? Its there, but at the moment its not financially viable to convert. Just wait for the current reserves to be used up.

Oh, and by the way 80 years ago they were worried about this. Guess what? We found more.

This is just a big scam by the environmentalists.

Ask yourselves the only relevant questions:

(1) Why is OUR oil under THEIR sand? And;

(2) Why shouldn't we drain the oil out of the Middle East first?

Cleese acknowledge my greatness and I will allow you to buy gas at 4.05 a gallon.

I am not worried about that eventuality. Do you (its a rhetorical you, not you specifically) have any idea how much oil there is sitting in Colorado in shale? Its there, but at the moment its not financially viable to convert. Just wait for the current reserves to be used up.

Oh, and by the way 80 years ago they were worried about this. Guess what? We found more.

This is just a big scam by the environmentalists.

Out of curiosity, can you reasonably foresee a time in which it is financially viable to convert to an alternative energy source?

Out of curiosity, can you reasonably foresee a time in which it is financially viable to convert to an alternative energy source?

Not for a long time. But economically that will happen. As oil raises in price the variance between what it costs to make shale into oil will come more into line with that cost.

Of course, eventually we will run out of oil. I'm not talking in ten or twenty years but in hundreds. Unlike, say, trees, there is a limited amount of oil in the world.

And that's fine. But to hear certain environmentalists speak you would think its around the corner. The reality is that every few decades they find another monster source of oil.

Oh, by the way - how much oil is coming from deep sea drilling......is that silence I hear? How about what we have up in Alaska. Nada.

These emissions standards are nothing but a tax on us.

I spent two months in India this past year. (See below) I bring that up because the pollution from the vehicles there is outrageous. Yet, look Koyto - there are no requirements for the developing world - only the developed world to adopt "standards" for the environment. This is nothing more than wealth redistribution. When India and China have to some standards we can talk. If I owned a car made in 1998 in the US I am really not contributing anything compared to those people.

I love how saying that completely weakens your argument.

Not at all. In an attempt not to personalize my point to the poster I was responding to I was trying NOT to be a dick.

Imagine that.

post-104-1198509311_thumb.jpg

post-104-1198509366_thumb.jpg

i thought scientists said that alaska if it even has oil at all, will only have a 3 month supply???

Alaska most definitely does have oil.

As for the amount - no idea. But the fact that it exists and we aren't using it is my point.

Think about it - we know it is there. How conceited are we to believe we know the total amount of oil available?

The actual amount of obtainable supply could be far more than we currently believe to be there presently.

But, hey the surrender monkey environmentalists don't want you to think that. They want you to live in fear, impose restrictions and curtail freedom and the free market.

Peak oil my ass.

Maybe it's just me but I tend to side with caution here, I'd rather have a bit more research done on the total amount before any sort of drilling starts, long term, it would seem fruitless to spend this amount of time building rigs, pipelines etc for a small amount of oil that dries up in a short amount of time, but thats just me. Anyway isn't it not all that economical to ship oil from the middle east when we can get it cheaper from Canada and South America?

Our gas hasn't broke 4 bucks yet, I think I'm going to start selling gallons of it on Ebay.

Within the next couple years Canada will become the worlds largest supplier of oil. At least that is what some scientists are estimating.

No need to drill yet.

In that time we should begin to move away from oil and look for something that is more permanent, and most importantly something that we can produce without foreign aid. We need to be independent when it comes to energy.

Within the next couple years Canada will become the worlds largest supplier of oil. At least that is what some scientists are estimating.

No need to drill yet.

In that time we should begin to move away from oil and look for something that is more permanent, and most importantly something that we can produce without foreign aid. We need to be independent when it comes to energy.

Ah the chimera of oil independence. One of my favorite topics.

So once we are free from foreign oil...what about Japan, what about Europe? We can't legislate more fuel efficient cars. We can't disassociate our economy from theirs.....so where does that leave us?

Screwed.

Its all a big scam.

No need to drill yet? How prey tell will Canada be getting that oil? Via dinner invitation? No, they will be drilling. Why shouldn't we?

Or should we just wait for catastrophe?

I fail to see how oil is not permeant in light of sources such as shale/coal. It just isn't financially viable yet. Big difference.

I'm pretty sure you're using a lot of oil from Alaska, I mean, that's what most of the jobs up there are around, no?

Yep, I had a friend who grew up in Alaska. She said everyone who lives there gets like $1000 a year from the govt because of all the oil coming out of there. As far as I knew, the issue was that people think there's oil in the Arctic National Wilderness Refuge and environmentalists think it should remain untouched. Which makes a certain amount of sense to me; I certainly have environmentalist/conservationist tendencies.

I agree that there are problems with the Kyoto Protocol. But, as far as I know, the U.S. hasn't even ratified it anyway.

I agree that there are problems with the Kyoto Protocol. But, as far as I know, the U.S. hasn't even ratified it anyway.

We are now the only superpower that has not signed it. Australia only signed it recently.

Peak oil the best way I've had it described was

"Peak oil is like having 1,000,000,000. It's there, but you can't spend it all at once."