Accelerated Evolution

story

D: i wrote this short story!! i like it. i posted the first part here before. :///////:

here is the ending:

He reached his hand down to touch my head and I started trembling. I could feel his hand in the air and it was heavy and magnetic. My breath was as steady and emotionless while he touched my head, and it stayed that way all day. I vaguely wished I hated my brother as I brushed my teeth, but mostly my face felt tired and sixteen years seemed like too long of a time to hold it up. I touched it with my hands as I looked into the bathroom mirror and my skin was soft and cool and I wondered what Charlie thought about when she looked into mirrors.

Charlie said that when she sees a beautiful person that it's a spiritual experience for her. Charlie said that what makes her happy is the thought that she might find a way to become attractive. I asked her if she ever felt self-absorbed or vain or if anyone had ever called her that. "Yes, but I don't care." and she was going to say more but I looked her in the eyes and she turned her head away and went quiet. My brother told me that Charlie likes to pretend she is alone. I went quiet and felt still and strange and ashamed, and I imagined myself asking if she wanted me to leave her alone, but I was too afraid to. She leaned back onto the heels of her shoes.

Charlie told me that I had been here for a month one morning over breakfast. This was shocking to me because I hadn't notice the time or anything else. I realized that since I had come to Chicago I'd only been thinking about her. I wondered if I was obsessed with Charlie, and after I glanced up at her reading the newspaper, I knew I was. But I felt happy about it and my heart welled up in my chest. So I had one more month to be around her. It wasn't long enough. I played with the straw in my glass of orange juice while I wondered what I was going to do, or even what the point of all of this was.

When my older brother came into the kitchen I started to feel angry. It was overwhelming because all at once I was flooded with emotion. I began to feel sick and dizzy. Peter hovered over Charlie and read the newspaper over her shoulder. He glanced over at me and said good morning and asked me if I was okay because I looked pale. I nodded my head and Charlie and Peter pecked each other on their lips.

I stood up suddenly and then my legs started to shake and collapsed. I fell flat on the cold wood floor and it felt strange against my flushed face. I heard the sound of two feet shuffling against the floor, and Peter's voice. He lifted me upright in his arms and my heart began to pound furiously and I felt more nervous and excited than I'd ever felt.

"Peter, I'm..." I said those first two words aloud, and then finished the sentence in his ear.

And there was a long, painful silence and I felt like my face was burning and I started to shake violently. Peter had made me shake like that once before too. When I was really little I was in my bed and my window started to slowly open, and someone started to crawl through it. I was too afraid to move except I was trembling, and I wondered if I was going to die. But it was just Peter sneaking in after his curfew. He crept out of my room through my door, and I pretended to be asleep and I never mentioned it. It stands out to me as the first time I ever thought about death, and realized that I was actually alive.

I refused to reflect on what I said as we were standing there. I knew it was true, and I didn't care about anything else.

"You must be really sick," he said as he backed away from me. My heart began to throw up blocks of lead. It wasn't Peter's fault though, I didn't blame him. Charlie just sat reading the newspaper like before. She didn't care; it didn't concern her. I began to feel completely numb, and I felt like that for a long time.

i don't mind if b&.

Definitely not the average forum-posted story excerpt...

"Peter hovered over Charlie and read the newspaper over her shoulder. He glanced over at me and said good morning and asked me if I was okay because I looked pale. I nodded my head and Charlie and Peter pecked each other on their lips."

I have a hard time writing sentences like that, but they work so well!