Accelerated Evolution
Alundra

Work.

So, here's the deal, I have one year left until my real career in life begins and I am stuck in a job that pays pretty well and I absoloutely hate it. In 4 months I take my city's police test, and if I score very well (which I will), I will be entered into the Academy in January of 2009 and graduate in August, but for right now, I work at CVS.

When I first started at CVS, I was there with my best friend (who recently became a cop herself), and a bunch of people our age and everything worked great for the most part. Over the next 2 years, we hired a ton of younger girls, whom I ended up hooking up with most of them at one point and time, and hung out with them and created my friend base around them as well since my college is absoloutely horrible for networking unless you are a gearhead or a pothead, but life was absoloutely great working there. I moved up the corperate ladder over time and became a known district name, my knowledge of the company grew exponentially and my working knowledge of photo machinery and chemistry made me an unofficial New Jersey state photo trainer for the company. Things were going great for the first two and a half years, and then people started to quit, first it started with my best friend leaving, then my other best friend, Kristina also decided to quit, along with a myriad of other people I was close with.

3 months ago, we lost our manager, Mike, who actually was the reason I was able to leave my house because he gave me a huge unauthorized raise (20% when the max is 6% based in district performance), and he also took our best worker, Josh with him. Now we have a whole bunch of 16 and 17 year olds that couldn't give a fuck about their job, and I recently lost my management position interview because I told them I couldn't work nights at all, which was fucking rediculous. I am by far the most qualified candidate for the position because I have already been fully trained by management staff, I handle our store's inventory single-handedly, I'm trained in vendor services, the best photo tech we have, I recieve truck by myself sometimes, work 50 hours a week, the list goes on for the sacrifices I have made for the company and they don't give me a fucking chance to move up. On top of all this, when Mike left, I was given all of the tasks that need to be completed on a weekly basis, which forces me to work 50-60 hours a week to make sure it's done completely and correctly.

But my real qualm is that I hate my job and can't leave it because I make a large amount of money for someone in my position, people start to get suspicious when someone like me drives a nice car and lives on his own and doens't have many money problems, and it creates a tension at work sometimes as it is. I've searched other jobs and none will give me an equal amount of hourly pay, and the ones that will, are jobs that I will hate even more. This is me basically bitching because no company will hire me as a manager because I am kind of obligated to tell them I will have to quit in less than a year

You ever heard the saying, "It"s better to eat legumes, but being happy around friends, than eating steak, but being around your enemies"? If you think you can make it there until you go to the academy, then it's almost worth to sacrifice happiness for a bit, but if you think you're not going to make it, you'd probably be better off taking a pay cut & going somewhere else, although it means a huge financial loss.

You have to also look at it in the long run. Yeah. You might make a lot more money now, but your health will suffer. You'll end up making less after medical bills & junk in the long run.

Ditch the job, unless you REALLY have a need to stay there. If you know how to adapt, you'll learn that you don't need a lot of stuff in life. ( ^_^)

If you're making bank and already have your escape planned, just stay.

If you quit and go somewhere else, you will probably end up in the same position but with less money.

No reason to rock the boat when it's already headed in the right direction.

less than a year?

sounds like you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. every job (in retail) sucks, you just happen to be making more than other people.

whoa, you're training to become a cop. that sucks.

Sucks that I get away with more shit than normal citizens do?

Man, I never realized.

Man, I never realized.

Sucks that you'll be vastly under payed, unappreciated, hated, despised, and placed in harms way on an almost daily basis (depends on where you live).

Sucks that you'll be vastly under payed, unappreciated, hated, despised, and placed in harms way on an almost daily basis (depends on where you live).

Yeah, this depends where you live.

I work in Scottsdale, and PD has it so nice. :O If you're lazy but good with paperwork, you can be a bike cop downtown and still pull 55k a year.

/jealous/

1.)I'd hardly call 110K retiring pay underpaid. Hell, I get paid a damn good rate when I'm in the academy. Plus, I don't look for money for happiness, it's about loving what I do. Most of the cops I know roll around in completely blacked-out BMWs living in nice houses out of the city, so I don't think they were able to have purchasing power of that kind on a paltry salary, but once again, not something that concerns me.

2.) People hate me now and it doesn't affect my life.

3) I'm placed in harms way living where I do already, we have one of the highest homicide rates in the entire country. We are one of the only CVS' in the state that have armed security guards, we also have police patrolling our premises specifically on their beat.

Being an officer gives me the knowledge that even though people will look down and hate me, the community ultimately appreciates what I do for them and I get the satisfaction that I can finally just walk up to the scumbags that hang out on my corner and throw them into the back of a patrol car. Once your life is affected by crime, being able to have the upper hand of the law on your side is satisfaction enough.

Man, I never realized.

I... Wow.

I don't hate cops like your average extreme leftist (though I am an extreme leftist), and I like you, Alundra, but that seems to be completely the wrong reason to become a cop.

I... Wow.

I don't hate cops like your average extreme leftist (though I am an extreme leftist), and I like you, Alundra, but that seems to be completely the wrong reason to become a cop.

I never said it was my reason for becoming one, it's a perk of being one. :mellow:

I honestly didn't know about some of these perks until my friend beat me to the punch in being a cop. I mean, we all know that cops get treated differently by society in general, but there are some things that have to come right from the source for one to realize how true the "stereotype" really is. But this is not to say that I am happy that abuse of power is overlooked and I am going to utilize it, but having a gun and a badge even when you don't work is an empowering thing, people you used to fear because you were powerless against suddenly aren't even threats anymore.

I guess this is difficult for me to convey because of how much crime and other things related to it has affected my life; I've had guns pointed in my face, I've had friends stabbed, watched another friend get run over, then run over again beause his assailants knew he had money on him, I've been beaten up in unfair 1 vs. 5 fights walking to my bus stop for high school, the list goes on.

These are the reasons why I want to have that power, not becasue I can tint my windows black in my car, not because I can speed as much as I want, not because I will no longer be just a citizen, but because I don't want anyone else to have to go through what I went through just because of their skin color, or what gang affiliation that may or may not be aware of that they have. Perks are perks, but trying to make a change is what I want.

Hope that clears it up.

but having a gun and a badge even when you don't work is an empowering thing, people you used to fear because you were powerless against suddenly aren't even threats anymore.

"After all, who needs courage when you have... a gun!"

wizardfarnsworth.jpg

I really can't understand people that hate all cops universally. I know there are cops that are total corrupt douchebags who use their power to do whatever they want, but whenever I hear people talking about cops as though they're all assholes that are out to get you or just saying that they hate cops in general, it makes me think that they have some specific reason why a cop might be bad news for them, but like to play the victim and antagonize cops instead of owning up to it.

One way I see it, once they put on that uniform, they aren't representing themselves anymore, but rather the laws set in place. I no longer take anything personal into account. Its like a solider in a war, no one takes account what kind of person that is before they shoot, they just shoot because its the enemy. I can't take the chance and go, "well maybe that cop is a good cop" or whatever because I don't know for sure. They've adopted the morality of the government in place of their own. It's not hating the individual but rather what they represent. For me anyway. Hope you get what I'm saying.

I think I do, but I don't think I agree. Mainly with

Its like a solider in a war, no one takes account what kind of person that is before they shoot, they just shoot because its the enemy.
which I think is wrong, and
They've adopted the morality of the government in place of their own. It's not hating the individual but rather what they represent.
A large part of what they represent is benevolent and for the protection of all people, the bad stuff is only a small part of it all, it's just so overwhelmingly easier to focus on the bad things like the patriot act than say laws that keep people from walking up to you, stabbing you, and stealing your wallet.

Also when people talk about corrupt cops it seems that they are mostly talking about ones that are acting outside of what they are legally allowed to do and are not upholding the governmental ideals that they are supposed to.

The battlefield doesn't exist, reality is just cruel.

The more illegal things you do, the more you hate the police, simple as that.

The battlefield doesn't exist, reality is just cruel.

The more illegal things you do, the more you hate the police, simple as that.

Generally I'd agree but there are some people at my college who just hate the police. I mean, they smoke weed, but that's about it as far as illegal activities go.

Also, look at GPS -- he hates the police and he hates drug users even more. Haha.