Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
trixie

Fuck the Prozac Nation

i know im new here but ive been "spoken to" about my current mental state.

everyone keeps telling me i need to take medications so i can stop being so "angry"

i think anti-depressants are legal drugs that doctors use to control a beautifully chaotic mind

i dont want to be "happy" if that means taking a little pill everyday for the rest of my life.

im happy with alot of things in my life, but generally i guess i am an angry person.

but i think thats what makes alot of people different. maybe we dont all think the same

maybe we dont all dress the same. maybe i fuckin like stayin up all night and sleepin all day

who sets the bar of normalcy? im not sure but they are doin a damn retarded job at it

im refusin to join the prozac nation and walk around listenin to bullshit

and just noddin my head because i take happy pills

if i hear bullshit im gunna fuckin slap you and say THAT WAS SOME BULLSHIT

While I totally agree, especially with the anti-depressents. I am a victim of it being prescribed to adderall, and tramadol the past year and few months of my life and now xanax.

i know im new here but ive been "spoken to" about my current mental state.

everyone keeps telling me i need to take medications so i can stop being so "angry"

i think anti-depressants are legal drugs that doctors use to control a beautifully chaotic mind

i dont want to be "happy" if that means taking a little pill everyday for the rest of my life.

im happy with alot of things in my life, but generally i guess i am an angry person.

but i think thats what makes alot of people different. maybe we dont all think the same

maybe we dont all dress the same. maybe i fuckin like stayin up all night and sleepin all day

who sets the bar of normalcy? im not sure but they are doin a damn retarded job at it

im refusin to join the prozac nation and walk around listenin to bullshit

and just noddin my head because i take happy pills

if i hear bullshit im gunna fuckin slap you and say THAT WAS SOME BULLSHIT

look, if you're happy with that, more power to you. Seriously.

You have to understand, however, that others disagree. Like I said, if you can go like that, awesome. but that means accepting/dealing with the whole damn package, naysayers and all. If you can do that, then fuck yeah, keep it going.

Anti-depressants are a sort of means to an end. They help some people, but are horribly overprescribed.

One thing I've seen happen with multiple acquaintances I know; they would start being irresponsible and become depressed about it. Then they would start taking anti-depressants. Then, they would keep doing the same irresponsible behavior and not caring that they were doing it. The end result that if they ever tried to stop the depression would just hit them insanely hard as they realized what they had been doing. Also, most ant-depressants are HIGHLY addictive, physically and mentally.

Anti-depressants are certainly a method in combating depression but it's not the only, and certainly not the best method. As for other mental illnesses -- well, that's sort of a different story. Certain drugs can help people with schizophrenia or hallucinations.

The real problem isn't the drugs, it's the drug companies. They add things to their drugs to make them more addictive, cause side effects (so you need to buy more drugs) and generally charge way too much money. Also, they bribe doctors into prescribing them. I've seen this all firsthand, since my dad is a psychiatrist.

I'm not a fan of prescription medication at all, but honestly, what you're describing... that's not what it's like at all. A person doesn't make the decision to take medication because they are just some sheep doing as they are told. Some people spend years fighting off their urges to kill themselves or trying desperately to kick their depression, and eventually come to the painful conclusion that maybe it's worth it to try them out. Agreeing to take a prescription drug is not an easy choice. In fact, it's really fucking painful for some people.

You're young. I wouldn't really worry too much about being angry or having varying emotions. That's just what happens. And you're definitely too young to be swallowing pills every night, so you're wise to keep your distance.

I hate people (in general) and a lot of social rules, but you learn to fake it. You might as well get used to people trying to make you do what you don't want to do now, because it's only going to get worse. In cases like this, where it's going to affect your physical and mental health, try to work with them: is there an alternative? Will seeing a therapist get them off your back? If you have a 100% rebellious attitude about it and you're underage, they're going to keep pushing you to take pharmaceuticals. Or, use the anger for something productive. I know, I know. That doesn't sound very fun. But make it. Put that nighttime energy into something awesome. Don't just waste away, bitching about everything.

don't do what you don't want to

thats the best advice ive ever heard

but then again maybe the worst...

i think there needs to be a balance between things we dont wanna do

and things we probably should do. And im not trying to bitch about the things i dont wanna do

i guess i just havent found that balance yet but then again maybe no one ever does

i thinks you are too young to know what you want, i know you dont want to be pumped full of drugs, i wouldnt either, but maybe you also dont want that because you are young and want to be rebellious and stick it to tha man. either way these things should be your choice not the doctors, talk to your parents and see what they say.

eh i know this is a different situation, but i;ve been seeing a psychiatrist for about 4 months because of my panic disorder/depression, and I realized recently that he's only going to keep prescribing me more medicine to try and hide the problems, rather than fix them. so i took it upon myself to find a different kind of psychologist willing to help me with my problems, rather than listen to the one my parents send me to that wants me to be on tranquilizers all the time. I know it's different because you dont think theres anything wrong with the way you are, but maybe you have to come to a compromise? I'm not really sure since I don't know the whole story, but in the long run you have to think about what's good for you, living in the now isn't all it's cracked up to be

Don't ever let them convince you of this. If you think like this you might as well quit now.

Contrary to popular belief everyone is perfectly fine; they just have to realize it.

Sooner is better than later.

How I would love to live in this fantasy land you dwell in. :awesome: Tom Cruise is right-- It's all in your head, man!

It's all in your thetans, IMO. :awesome:

Anti-Depressants can really fuck you up and can also be mad ineffective. You need to be careful about what you take, and if you see a psychiatrist, I suggest getting multiple opinions from other psychiatrists before popping anything. I actually take a seizure medication which can help with bipolar and mood stabilization, called lamictol. It's not an anti-depressant, but it works. Maybe you can find something similar, if you really need it. Like I said, be careful though, I spent all of last November totally fucked up because I cycled through like 3 or 4 meds to try and solve my sleeping issues. One actually made me gain 10 pounds I haven't been able to lose. : \

How I would love to live in this fantasy land you dwell in. :awesome: Tom Cruise is right-- It's all in your head, man!

Enjoy your life of misery.

I'll take my autogenous happiness.

Anti-Depressants can really fuck you up and can also be mad ineffective. You need to be careful about what you take, and if you see a psychiatrist, I suggest getting multiple opinions from other psychiatrists before popping anything. I actually take a seizure medication which can help with bipolar and mood stabilization, called lamictol. It's not an anti-depressant, but it works. Maybe you can find something similar, if you really need it. Like I said, be careful though, I spent all of last November totally fucked up because I cycled through like 3 or 4 meds to try and solve my sleeping issues. One actually made me gain 10 pounds I haven't been able to lose. : \

Seriously?

You think these doctors know who you are? You think they care about you past your check? Most of the time they seem to hardly know what the medications they so freely dole out are capable of doing.

Somebody call GPS up and ask him what the driving force behind this society is.

You think these doctors know who you are? You think they care about you past your check? Most of the time they seem to hardly know what the medications they so freely dole out are capable of doing.

Way to be paranoid and jump to conclusions about everyone in general.

That's why you work with a family or general care practitioner who listens to you. Sure, there ARE some shit doctors, but I've worked in a hospital and I knew some amazing ones. The doctor I grew up with still calls in to see how I'm doing, even though I live in another state. If I cant get a hold of help on the Mayo Clinic hotline (my current provider), she AND my current general care doctor have their personal phone on 24/7 for me to ask if I need to come in with XXXXX symptoms (and most of the time, knowing I'm tight and dont want to pay the co-pay, will phone in an anti-biotic or whatever to Walgreens).

And, life of misery? Just because I work for the government, I must be a zombie, right? :P I work with some of the most inventive/creative people I've ever met. People who have worked to change regulations/laws they considered unjust (a close coworker friend drove to include domestic partner benefits for gay and straight couples working for the city-- the first step to convincing other employers to extend the same benefits to their own employees-- to a very heavily conservative council.)

I understand not everyone shares the same definition of happiness. And to that, not everyone is out there to 'get you.' I just think people should not be so self-centered.

Why is it so strange for you to see that someone can work with society (not obey, but work *with*) and still find internal peace? Sitting in a corner and bitching isn't going to solve anything.

Seriously?

Somebody call GPS up and ask him what the driving force behind this society is.

Dude, you're making me seem well adjusted. There are people out there who genuinely want to help people, or are interested in psychiatry. I've been lucky as far as doctors go. My psychologist in particular is a very nice, helpful person. I understand your concern, but therapy has helped me a lot and I'm sort of offended.

Dude, you're making me seem well adjusted.

You are well adjusted. Who told you otherwise?

Happiness is a choice; a conscience decision. That there are millions of people who are told every day that they're living wrong is enough to make me weep.

Don't be offended because I'm making the conscience decision to be happy against your rules.

Oh Belial...

I would say, just make sure if you choose not to take anti-depressants that you're actually choosing not to after careful research and consideration, and not because of something some uneducated fuck the man teenager (or an overgrown one) said or wrote on the internet, or some irrational fear.

I know my family physician who've I've known all my life and have become close friends with his entire family is only out to get my money and really gives two shits about my well-being.

You are well adjusted. Who told you otherwise?

Happiness is a choice; a conscience decision. That there are millions of people who are told every day that they're living wrong is enough to make me weep.

Don't be offended because I'm making the conscience decision to be happy against your rules.

You need your own consent to be happy, but some people, believe it or not, actually have mental issues. I know you have an optimistic, free-will based world view where humans outgrew instincts and are born with blank slates, but it's reality and I'm sure a lot of bipolar people out there would really appreciate you telling them it's their fault that they have emotional issues.

To be fair, Tom Cruise is incredibly rich and probably pretty happy with himself. No matter how you slice it... he's doing something right.