Accelerated Evolution

Persuade me to buy into next gen consoles

Yeah so, I sold my PS2 and all my games a little while ago and I figured I could just be a PC gamer and give the finger to consoles and said that all the next gen stuff was none of my concern, but I can't trick myself anymore cause it looks more and more enticing every day. I won't be getting it anytime soon as I'm about to get a new computer from my girlfriend's brother and I'm still setting aside money for my girlfriend and me's anniversary [still have no idea what we're doing, our anniversary was the 16th and she's away until the 26th] so yeah, maybe in a few months.

However, I don't know what I should be looking into to getting. I don't know what all your reservations are, but I guess they'll help me make my decision. I need to decide two things: A) Whether I should even bother getting one or not and B) If so, which one? The reason I've been holding off until now was between my girlfriend, school, music and work, I was fucking swamped. Now I'm finding these things easier to manage time-wise and feel like I would have enough time to enjoy a console. I don't know what other kind of information I need to give, I just figured people would say what they think is good, what they think sucks and why and then maybe like a page later a series of "lolinternet" posts. So, please, convince me.

+pro

-con

Xbox360:

+extensive library of games

+xbox live generally reliable, occasional free stuff

+just had a price cut, so you can find a 20GB model even cheaper

+xbox live arcade is VERY diverse in terms of game types.

+custom soundtracks in-game never easier

+most xbox live 12 month cards come with a bonus month, all for 49.99 (approx $4 per month)

+3 models to choose from: Arcade(core), Premium, and Elite -- buy what's best for your budget.

-Xbox live is essentially worthless if you don't game online

-Live is the only pay-to-play online service for this gen.

-RRoD still a problem

-connecting wirelessly requires you to buy a $100 adapter

-Must spend out the ass for proprietary storage devices.

PS3:

+Free to play online

+Customization-friendly

+Will read most types of media

+Can install another OS

+Epic exclusive titles

+60GB model Backward compatible with all ps1/2 games

^+you could buy back your games and play them on your new system

+Upscales PS1/2 titles for your HDTV

+80GB model backward compatibility with most ps2 titles

+All models backward compatible with PS1 titles

+Cheapest Blu-ray player on the market.

-online play not the most reliable

-free online play means more annoying kids (though they're still present on XBL)

-smaller library of games than 360

Wii

+Plays gamecube games

+Wii Sports addictive and intuitive

+great for parties: most-everyone(up to four) can play

+All-wireless

+Motion-sensor technology works on all TV's and projectors.

+Can view pictures and movies off an SD card

-Scant selection of online games

-Scant selection of good* games

-Sensor bar has teeny-tiny wire that looks like it'd break easily

-No Hard Drive, making storage a nightmare

-can't play DL'ed games from SD card

-Games like Guitar Hero and Rockband with Downloadable content end up with "Expansion discs" instead.

*good is obviously a relative term. What I mean by this usage is that there are few games that appeal to the main video game playing crowd. Those of us who enjoyed (for lack of a better word) "hardcore" games on PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox have generally been disappointed by the Wii's non-gamer emphasis. From a technical standpoint, Wii Fit, wii sports, and mario party on the Wii are all "good" games. There are a select few titles (largely capcom remakes) that appeal to gamers. The Wii has the fewest RPGs and action platformers of all 3 systems.

HOpe this helps.

rrod is always going to be a problem, unless Microsoft magically makes their motherboards stop warping

In any case, if you've managed to get by until now without a next-gen console, you probably don't really want one enough to shell out the money for it. Maybe wait another year or two after we see some good games come out to actually justify such a purchase.

Besides, PC is getting Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 soon...

Twilight Princess is available on the Gamecube, Okami and Metal Slug Anthology are available on the PS2.

So the main two reasons to buy the Wii are Mario Kart and Super Smash Brawl. I've also heard that Mario Galaxy and Mario Party 7 (or whatever number it is) are good so that makes 4 worthy games.

Now I'm not saying that the Wii is bad or anything but that does suggest that it might not be worth paying a lot of money for it until it has at least a few more great games available for it.

I don't see the PS2 version of Okami letting me draw my attacks with a Wiimote.

The Wii has been fun to use when I play it at friends' houses or at my cousin's but I don't think I could bring myselfto buy one without having a serious case of buyer's remorse [which I get ALOT] for the sole fact that:

- I don't have a bunch of people to play with

- I cannot raise a family due to my syphilis

- There aren't that many decent games for it

- It feels a little gimmicky, though I love rail shooters and unless they made a million good ones, would not be enough to sway me.

I was looking more intently at a 360 or PS3 and between the two I don't know. I will wait at very least for a couple months. I don't care about having an extensive game library because A) I would play it a little more than occasionally, but not much more and B) At 50-60 bucks a pop, I'm making sure I get the right fucking titles cause I'm still going to school and need a car and shit.

The syphilis thing was a joke.

sucks about the syphilis ...

ummm... the 360 (from what i'm hearing on the lolinternetz) has about 2 years left in it, I think everyone already knows (just not officially confirmed yet) that Microsoft is already working on it's successor. So if you're not too sure what to get at this point, you're probably better off just waiting for the next XBOX, or getting a PS3

The Wii, if it doesn't have a hard drive, has something else, because I don't need external storage, aside from for Gamecube games.

I love the Xbox Live Arcade, and storage of those games requires a larger HDD. Buying 2GB SD cards for every-so-many Wiiware games and Virtual Console games would get tiresome, I imagine. I'm sure it is also aggrivating to run out of space to RUN your VC games, as you can only play them off of the on-board storage. The wii has 512MB(?) of on-board storage, that's going to fill up fast if you love the virtual console and Wiiware titles.

And "good" games is subjective. I own a Wii, and I love the games I own for it. Especially Metal Slug Anthology and Okami and Twilight Princess and Mario Kart and Brawl.

-Scant selection of good* games

*good is obviously a relative term. What I mean by this usage is that there are few games that appeal to the main video game playing crowd. Those of us who enjoyed (for lack of a better word) "hardcore" games on PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox have generally been disappointed by the Wii's non-gamer emphasis. From a technical standpoint, Wii Fit, wii sports, and mario party on the Wii are all "good" games. There are a select few titles (largely capcom remakes) that appeal to gamers. The Wii has the fewest RPGs and action platformers of all 3 systems.

LEARN TO READ.