Accelerated Evolution

ITT: pictures of out of the ordinary food

David

Whether it be excessively large portions, unusual local specialties, clitorises covered with erotic chocolate, or just something you only eat on special occassion - if it's out of the ordinary at all, pictures of it go here. You don't even need to be the person eating it...

Today, an excessively large burrito from a local business called Taqueria Guadalajara. Above their beverage fridge is an advertisement for the Super Giant Burrito, a burrito supposedly "big enough for three people". In the past, I've been able to eat this monster in one sitting, but nowadays I stretch my burrito's lifespan over the course of a day and a half. It's just cheaper that way.

Pic0021.jpg

Dollar included for size comparison (speaking of dollars, this burrito costs eleven of em). They wrap them using two flour tortillas, which I suppose is a good thing because a burrito with one giant flour tortilla would be mostly tortilla.

Pic0022-1.jpg

I always get black beans in my burrito, because refried beans are garbage.

Now go, AE, and take pictures of the food you eat!

I dunno, something about the idea of fried beans in bean paste is unsettling to me. Could just be because I'm Vietnamese (seems every Vietnamese person I know was also taught to hate Mexican foods by their parents)

Tomorrow I'm biking down to this cafe that's voted the best breakfast in the county. Hopefully there'll be something interesting there (there better be, it's a 13 mile bike ride)

Well, as today's lunch was highly uninteresting (I had for lunch what I had for breakfast, and I will have it for dinner as well), here is an offering from my Chinese friend who is also a bit of a gastronome:

n3227273_36840716_3679.jpg

Sometimes I envy the Chinese for having such an expansive culture made up of the individual contributions of 1.3 billion people.

Today, lunch at the only decent pho place in town. It's not even that great, though I suppose that would be the result of being a Vietnamese restaurant in a primarily White/Chinese town.

In any case, the dessert is still delicious. Here is some che ba mau: (lit. 'three color dessert drink')

Pic0024.jpg

There's crushed ice, coconut milk, grass jelly (sounds gross but it does not infact taste like grass.), hat luu (they're like tapioca cubes, but with firmer centers. Firm... like daikon.), and sweetened mung bean paste. There are clearly four colors here but... whatever. 'three' in Vietnamese rolls off the tongue a lot better than four anyway.

Pic0025.jpg

And some beef stew for the actual meal. Who goes to a pho restaurant and orders beef stew? I do, of course. It was recently added to the menu, so I figured why the hell not? It's actually pretty good, gratuitous amounts of tender beef steak cubes and lots of spicy flavor, except for the bok choy that was in it. I've only had good bok choy at two restaurants ever, and this place isn't one of em

Yeah, I spend at least $60 a month on Arnold Palmers.

Gyudon and egg for lunch. There were edamame on the side but I didn't bother to take a picture of them.

pic0026.jpg

Kinda wish the portions were bigger, though the edamame makes up for that. Delicious edamame~

Yeah, hope they never discontinue it

Saw this at Save Mart, had to buy it. COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE

cookie-1.jpg

I figured it was just a muffin with some frosting on it, but no, it's a cupcake and so the entire cookie monster is solid frosting:

cookie2.jpg

That was the sweetest thing I've ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of sugar. Couldn't even finish it for fear of losing my foot to the 'betes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This probably isn't that unusual, but my local grocery store started carrying these recently. It looks like a giant block of fudge on a stick and the packaging is ridiculous (it's labeled as "chocolate treat" and has some silly flowers stickers all over the front) but it's actually a frozen chocolate covered Rice Krispies Treat with chocolate chips inside.

66148218.jpg

23399899.jpg

Totally worth the $1.10 it costs.

This probably isn't that unusual, but my local grocery store started carrying these recently. It looks like a giant block of fudge on a stick and the packaging is ridiculous (it's labeled as "chocolate treat" and has some silly flowers stickers all over the front) but it's actually a frozen chocolate covered Rice Krispies Treat with chocolate chips inside.

66148218.jpg

23399899.jpg

Totally worth the $1.10 it costs.

holy shaz. no kidding.

• 1 year later...