Accelerated Evolution

Death Magnetithread!

Crube

Update: Soundboard quality of Cyanide can be found here.

What the hell is 'Death Magnetic'?

DM is the ninth studio album to be released by Metallica. It should hit stores on September 23rd the year of our Lord Two Thousand & Eight.

But Raddest, I've listened to St Anger and think it's dogs balls... what's so special about this?

This is the first album to feature their new bassist (as of 2003) Robert Trujillo. During the recording of St Anger, producer, engineer, musician, songwriter, Bob Rock recorded bass.

Giving credit where credit's due, Bob Rock also produced the infamous self titled album called 'Metallica' (aka The Black Album), the not so famous Load, ReLoad, Garage Inc. and the well received S&M.

He was taken on board to do St Anger too. However, the Internet attacked! A petition signed by over 20,000 people begged Metallica to drop Bob Rock as he was too much of a musical influence.

For Death Magnetic, Metallica have assigned Rick Rubin as their producer. The people that Rick Rubin has worked with is too many to mention, contradicting what I just wrote I'll mention just a few;

LL Cool J Beastie Boys Run-DMC Slayer The Cult Public Enemy Slayer Red Hot Chili Peppers Johnny Cash AC/DC The Smashing Pumpkins System of a Down Rage Against the Machine Audioslave The Mars Volta Jay-Z Slipknot Weezer Neil Diamond Justin Timberlake U2 Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One Linkin Park

Ok, so what have they got to offer? I've been saying I don't like anything after the Black Album for years now, won't I look silly if I stick to my guns and keep saying it if it's actually decent?

Yes. You will.

St. Anger sounded like Lars was banging on empty oil drums!

Some songs from DM were previewed to members of the UK music press on June 4th 2008.

One of the slowest of the six songs previewed was said to be compared to one of their greatest award winning sinles 'One'. While other tracks were compared to songs by the likes of Slayer, Led Zeppelin, Rage Against The Machine and Thin Lizzy.

Reports that it's a much better sound than St Anger are numerous.

People have also written that the album is what should've come after Black.

I wanna suck Kirk Hammett's cock!

And so you should! Solos are back in, unlike their solo free album that everyone loves, St Anger.

From the UK music press preview, it was also said that the band have returned to complex, multi-layered arrangements such as those typically found on ...And Justice For All.

What's with the album title, sounds try hardish?

James Hetfield commented on the album's title:

Death Magnetic, at least the title, to me [...] started out as kind of a tribute to people that have fallen in our business, like Layne Staley and a lot of the people that have died, basically — rock and roll martyrs of sorts. And then it kind of grew from there, Thinking about death… some people are drawn towards it, and just like a magnet, [and] other people are afraid of it and push away. And the concept that we're all gonna die sometimes is over-talked about and then a lot of times never talked about — no one wants to bring it up; it's the big white elephant in the living room. But we all have to deal with it at some point.

Anyone could figure out Metallica have been using death as inspiration for some time, and they do it well. It's only natural they feature a whole album on the subject.

Ok what about the track listing, I want Unforgiven III!

Calm down fanboy, I'm pretty sure they ain't gonna re-hash something and call it Unforgiv... oh fuck...

1. "That Was Just Your Life"

2. "The End of the Line"

3. "Broken, Beat & Scarred"

4. "The Day That Never Comes"

5. "All Nightmare Long"

6. "Cyanide"

7. "The Unforgiven III"

8. "The Judas Kiss"

9. "Suicide & Redemption"

10. "My Apocalypse"

I NEED A VISUAL REPRESENTATION OF THIS WICKED AWESOME SHIT YO!

Metallica_Death_Magnetic.jpg

Have you left anything out?

Probably...

References?

Wiki Death Magnetic, most shit's from there!

Thank you, you're awesome

You're welcome scum bag.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None of this impresses me slightly. But then again, 99% of 'thrash' bands plateau after their third album, so Metallica is a bit ahead of the curve. However, Rick Rubin is decent. He can make your shit audible, if that's good enough for you but he doesn't bring any ideas to the table. Lars Ulrich has been on a steady talent decline in the past several years. He can't do a good number of old metallica live, because he fucks it up or half-asses it. And frankly, bass is bass is bass is bass... At least when it comes to the kind of music metallica has made for a while.

Unless Metallica circa 1985 was transported to the present, I'm not terribly excited.

Rick Rubin is very hit-or-miss with everything he does. Half the time I think he takes on horrible artists as a challenge to himself though. And Metallica certainly aren't horrible. We'll see, I'll listen and judge. Probably won't like it though.

And yes, Lars is too old to rock. Metallica has never focused on the bass since Cliff died (Jason was just there for rhythm). Kirk? Okay, no dissing Kirk. James is old.

None of this impresses me slightly. But then again, 99% of 'thrash' bands plateau after their third album, so Metallica is a bit ahead of the curve. However, Rick Rubin is decent. He can make your shit audible, if that's good enough for you but he doesn't bring any ideas to the table. Lars Ulrich has been on a steady talent decline in the past several years. He can't do a good number of old metallica live, because he fucks it up or half-asses it. And frankly, bass is bass is bass is bass... At least when it comes to the kind of music metallica has made for a while.

I only know Rick Rubin because of his work with Slayer and that's about it.

Unless Metallica circa 1985 was transported to the present, I'm not terribly excited.

Rick Rubin is very hit-or-miss with everything he does. Half the time I think he takes on horrible artists as a challenge to himself though. And Metallica certainly aren't horrible. We'll see, I'll listen and judge. Probably won't like it though.

And yes, Lars is too old to rock. Metallica has never focused on the bass since Cliff died (Jason was just there for rhythm). Kirk? Okay, no dissing Kirk. James is old.

But what I see from the videos, you rarely see Rick Rubin with the band, it's always some other guy adjusting the volumes, etc.

I agree with Set. None of that is impressive.

However, I am willing to give the album a go as, although I actually didn't mind 'St Anger', it would be nice to see what Metallica come up with after seeing how much their fans panned that album.

Also, if some tracks were compared to Rage Against the Machine then I don't know what to expect as they sound absolutely nothing like anything I've ever heard by Metallica.

I doubt I'll buy it however it turns out though as I'm just not massively into Metallica.

What band doesn't hype up their latest album? Either way, we will find out in September.

im not facepalming the thread, just the new album. im sure its going to be horrible. Just like blueprint 3 will be.

Is it really that hard to come up with a constructive post? Set and the others aren't big fans and they posted pretty civil about it.

Well, it's certainly not St. Anger but it does sound too far on the generic side.

Well, it's not the actual single they're releasing. Sometime between now and Sept. 12 they're putting out their single "The Day That Never Comes" so..

Back in June, a group of people on a Europe leg of the tour listened to the album and said that Cyanide was the only song that sounded the most like Load, and they said one of the slower songs sounded like One more than anything else. So don't get your hopes down.

edit: Basically what I'm saying is, I guess we can expect that one to be one of the "bad" songs, if anything. More amazing stuff to come. I loved Cyanide myself, especially close to the solo. There's a 2 min HQ video up on youtube, title is in all caps. Don't feel like finding it but yeah.

Reviews from the sample session in England reported that this was the "weakest" song from the album.

Edit: Dammit Kirk!

haha ownt. they're my favorite band dude I follow everything they do, but wow can't believe I didn't find that new song, thanks man. :awesome:

I listened to (most) of the new song. If I want to hear good Thrash, I'll listen to Artillery, tyvm, it's just not great. Honestly, if that song weren't written by Metallica, the single would be in a half off bin two weeks after release.

I'm pretty sure at this point, Metallica aren't trying to do Thrash anymore. They haven't done thrash since MOP. AJFA was just heavy metal. (or just metal, whatever)

Regardless of genre, that was dull. Really, that song sounds like iconic background music. They should have stopped trying ages ago.

Well, I like it, but I do agree Lars' fills are out of place in some parts, but it's definitely an improvement. It was said to be the worst song though man, please give it a chance.

I listened to (most) of the new song. If I want to hear good Thrash, I'll listen to Artillery, tyvm, it's just not great. Honestly, if that song weren't written by Metallica, the single would be in a half off bin two weeks after release.

Cyanide is NOT THE SINGLE. Just letting you know that.

I'm pretty sure at this point, Metallica aren't trying to do Thrash anymore. They haven't done thrash since MOP. AJFA was just heavy metal. (or just metal, whatever)

Most of Master of Puppets isn't even thrash anyway.

I wasn't assuming it was, I was just using that as a hypothetical example, because I haven't (of course) heard anything else from the album.