Accelerated Evolution

Medvedev seems to be getting his shit together.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7555858.stm

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered an end to military operations against Georgia, the Kremlin says.

He told officials that the safety of Russian citizens and peacekeepers in South Ossetia had been restored.

Russia also backed an EU plan to end the five-day-old conflict. Envoys will now try to get Georgian approval.

Each side continues to accuse the other of breaking ceasefire accords, and analysts warn that the two remain far apart on a number of issues.

Interesting stuff. Everyone was saying he's just a tool of Putin, but here he is making a decision that clearly goes against Putin (and is better for Russia, and the world in general).

I'll be interested to watch this guy... He may turn out to be a decent president.

But really he and Putin had no other choice since the entire world was opposing them being there.

Well, yes, they did have another choice, which was to keep going, and then we get an interesting geopolitical situation. Is the UN going to condemn this? Probably -- but what would that mean? A declaration of war? Even the entire world against Russia isn't going to be an easy war, especially because they still have nukes.

I'm glad he chose this, because he could've escalated things in a terrible way. It's also good as it kind of says something about how Russian politics are changing. Which is to say, Putin would've never backed down from threats like this. However, that's one of the reasons he's so popular in Russia... So I guess we'll see what happens to Medvedev's career.

I think backing off in Georgia is more a result of an internal realization that their buildup isn't complete, and they really aren't ready to simply shrug off and jaunt passed international opinion. Give it a couple years and they won't give a flying fuck. The worrisome thing here is that no one seems to be taken notice and trying to get in on it. :mellow:

whats the prime reason for this conflict? There are separatists and stuff, but the article was kind of vague.

Basically (as I understand it) there's a region along the Russian-Georgian border called Ossetia, and the people who live there are a small ethnic group (something like 100,000) called Ossetians. Most of them have Russian passports and didn't want to be part of Georgia (in the Russian Empire and then Soviet Union this was fine, but after Georgia broke off from Russia problems started), so they elected to break off.

Since a big part of the country split off, Georgia deployed their military to recapture the area, and Russia used it as an excuse to invade.

Basically (as I understand it) there's a region along the Russian-Georgian border called Ossetia, and the people who live there are a small ethnic group (something like 100,000) called Ossetians. Most of them have Russian passports and didn't want to be part of Georgia (in the Russian Empire and then Soviet Union this was fine, but after Georgia broke off from Russia problems started), so they elected to break off.

Since a big part of the country split off, Georgia deployed their military to recapture the area, and Russia used it as an excuse to invade.

thats a pretty lame excuse for invasion/killing, but i guess they are all.