Accelerated Evolution

Most Overrated Bands/Musicians

GummyBearOfDoom

Alright list of the most overrated (not necessarily bad but just too much credit) bands.

Metallica- I like a few albums but get too much praise and still shouldn't be selling out shows.

U2- Do I need to say more?

Bob Dylan- Alright, he may write good lyrics but he can't sing at all and he sounds like a dying goat right now.

Jimi Hendrix- His music bores me.

Nirvana- Man they suck

The Rolling Stones- God they blow.

Pinkfloyd- These bastards have like 4 good songs.

Dave Matthews Band- Every slut in my school loved these douches.

Lynard Skynard- No. Just no.

Aerosmith- Didn't deserve a video game, oh and thanks for the shitty acting daughter.

Kiss- Doesn't deserve thousands of cosplaying fanboys.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... I predict that this thread going to go in a very bad direction.

Like I mean where are you getting off calling Bob Dylan overrated? The man is known for being a great songwriter not for being a great singer. Not to mention the contradiction in being able to appreciate black-metal (for example) vocals and not Bob Dylan's singing style.

I don't really want to argue about it, but I just kind of felt obligated to stick up for the dude.

Hmm... I predict that this thread going to go in a very bad direction.

Like I mean where are you getting off calling Bob Dylan overrated? The man is known for being a great songwriter not for being a great singer. Not to mention the contradiction in being able to appreciate black-metal (for example) vocals and not Bob Dylan's singing style.

I don't really want to argue about it, but I just kind of felt obligated to stick up for the dude.

Wait? I just said that he has good lyrics but can't sing. Also I don't like Black Metal at all so how is it a contradiction (except for some songs where I pretend the cookie monster vocals didn't happen)?

Also I made your statement bold for where I get off calling him overrated.

Wait? I just said that he has good lyrics but can't sing. Also I don't like Black Metal at all so how is it a contradiction (except for some songs where I pretend the cookie monster vocals didn't happen)?

Also I made your statement bold for where I get off calling him overrated.

My point is that Bob Dylan isn't famous for being a great singer. If he were then calling him overrated would make sense. You gotsta judge the people on the terms of their fame.

Black metal was just an example, replace it with a harsh vocal-based genre you do like. I was saying that Bob Dylan has a non-traditional vocal style.

But anyway, it's a silly argument.

I think Tom Petty is very overrated. Eric Clapton too, but to a lesser extent.

My point is that Bob Dylan isn't famous for being a great singer. If he were then calling him overrated would make sense. You gotsta judge the people on the terms of their fame.

Black metal was just an example, replace it with a harsh vocal-based genre you do like. I was saying that Bob Dylan has a non-traditional vocal style.

Yea I guess you're right.

I was also gunna list Tom Petty also.

I actually find a lot of harsh vocal styles very, very good and I just cannot stand Bob Dylan.

But yeah. I think it's fair to say he's really overrated. Even if you think he's good, he's not nearly as good as some people give him credit for.

Also, Nirvana.

Yeah, see that's the problem with the word "overrated."

Like for example, I think "Blood on the Tracks" is one of the greatest albums ever made.

I could write like a 20 page paper explaining my opinion and citing examples, but it's still very much a matter of personal taste.

So, Yeah!

Like I mean where are you getting off calling Bob Dylan overrated? The man is known for being a great songwriter not for being a great singer.

anything after "the times they are a-changin'" is super overrated, anything before that is severely underrated.

okay, heres my list.

Metallica

iced earth

2pac <-- the guy sucked

the rolling stones <-- dont get me wrong, they're great, they're just not as great as everyone makes them out to be

The Who <--- same goes for these guys

Sting

Pink Floyd

NIN

Brian Eno

The Sex pistols

Green Day <---FUCKING HATE

Girl talk

aphex twin

dream theater

Bruce Dickinson era of Iron maiden

Coldplay

The Police

Lynrd Skynrd

U2

Ozzy Osbourne

Garth Brooks, shit, every cunt-ry act post 1950's

Run DMC

Slipknot <--- hate this fucking band

red hot chili peppers

snoop dogg

that is a super brief list.

Metallica Agreed

iced earth I think the only people that overrate them are us. :awesome:

2pac <-- the guy sucked Agreed

the rolling stones <-- dont get me wrong, they're great, they're just not as great as everyone makes them out to be I agree with the whole sentiment. I like alot of their music but they're not legends

The Who <--- same goes for these guys Agree, again. Love The Who but c'mon.

Pink Floyd Wooooaaaahhh, hoss. Pink Floyd wouldn't be overrated if 50 billion middle schoolers hadn't just found out about them yesterday. Still one of my favorite all time bands.

NIN Agreed.

Brian Eno By who? BY WHO?

The Sex pistols Yes.

Green Day <---FUCKING HATE Gods, yes.

Girl talk Then stop going to /mu/. :awesome:

aphex twin See above.

dream theater Yarp.

Bruce Dickinson era of Iron maiden FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Coldplay JESUS CORPSEFUCKING CHRIST YES!

U2 I don't hate U2... Just Bono.

Ozzy Osbourne murmurmurmurmurmurmurmur.

Run DMC :mellow:

Slipknot <--- hate this fucking band ROFL. WE JUST LEARNEDED HOW TO PLAY METALZ LAST WEEKS!!!

red hot chili peppers Indeed

snoop dogg ok

Metallica- I like a few albums but get too much praise and still shouldn't be selling out shows. Yes.

U2- Do I need to say more? :awesome:

Bob Dylan- Alright, he may write good lyrics but he can't sing at all and he sounds like a dying goat right now. Weathered voice is weathered and cool.

Jimi Hendrix- His music bores me. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Nirvana- Man they suck :awesome::awesome::awesome:

The Rolling Stones- God they blow. FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Pinkfloyd- These bastards have like 4 good songs. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Dave Matthews Band- Every slut in my school loved these douches. I just hate their student college, frat fan base.

Lynard Skynard- No. Just no. I want to agree with you but I'm from the south and I might get banished.

Aerosmith- Didn't deserve a video game, oh and thanks for the shitty acting daughter. :awesome:

Kiss- Doesn't deserve thousands of cosplaying fanboys. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Alright list of the most overrated (not necessarily bad but just too much credit) bands.

Metallica- I like a few albums but get too much praise and still shouldn't be selling out shows.

U2- Do I need to say more?

Bob Dylan- Alright, he may write good lyrics but he can't sing at all and he sounds like a dying goat right now.

Jimi Hendrix- His music bores me.

Nirvana- Man they suck

The Rolling Stones- God they blow.

Pinkfloyd- These bastards have like 4 good songs.

Dave Matthews Band- Every slut in my school loved these douches.

Lynard Skynard- No. Just no.

Aerosmith- Didn't deserve a video game, oh and thanks for the shitty acting daughter.

Kiss- Doesn't deserve thousands of cosplaying fanboys.

I think almost every one of these bands shaped modern mainstream music, so I think they do deserve most of which they receive. Bands like Pink Floyd, Nirvana and Bob Dylan influence so many musicians whether they are underground or not. In most cases its not a matter of 'how many good songs' they had, since that is completely subjective anyhow. What matters is what these bands have given back to the music community which is quite alot.

Honestly, at this point I think Nirvana has become so widely considered to be overrated that they're, in effect, now kind of underrated in a lot of circles. They were never like an OMG THIS BAND IS AMAZING AND HAS CHANGED MY WORLDVIEW FOREVER band like the vicious overhype they got at one point, and most of their singles are really middling ("Love Buzz," "In Bloom," and I guess "Lithium" being the real exceptions), but they had their really good moments along with the bad. And fuck it, "About a Girl" is one of my favorite pop songs of the past twenty years.

As for overrated shit, Tool. Jesus Christ. I agree that Run DMC is overrated, too; they're amusing and probably influential but their stuff hasn't aged well at all.

- Masked Man #2

Yeah but that is in your opinion.

I'd say that Pink Floyd have made fantastic contributions to music as I love lots of bands influenced by them for instance Porcupine Tree, Ayreon and The Flower Kings. (I also really like Pink Floyd themselves)

I love Tool but I agree that they are overrated because so many people seem to treat the members like gods now (incidentally that is probably exactly what the members didn't want if what Maynard says is to be believed).

And I doubt that without Pink Floyd, there would be doom metal as it is today. Sure, alot of it is Black Sabbath inspired but Pink Floyd popularized the down-tempo psychedelica that's the basis for a good half of it.

One of these days I should probably take the dive and listen to Pink Floyd.

I go to a liberal arts college and smoke more weed than is probably good for me, doom metal is really my favorite kind of metal, and everyone around me constantly talks about Pink Floyd. But I really have only the barest concept of what they sound like (I've seen Live at Vesuvius once).

i like the DMC, i just think they're overrated, i think afrika bambatta, Grand master flash, and even Kraftwerk had a bigger hand in shaping hiphop then DMC.

yeah but at the same time.. they did the rap/ rock stuff with Aerosmith...and I'll admit the ones you mentioned are good..but they aren't over rated.. thats bullshit there...yeah I can sense this thread turning into flame bait quick.