Accelerated Evolution

Most Underrated Bands/Musicians

ROCKSTEADY

I second the "Paul Simon" vote. He did so much great stuff but people tend to act like he just a bunch of did middle-of-the-road crap.

my number one vote goes to Electrelane. They are one of my favorite modern bands and basically no one gives them the time of day. Yeah, they're chicks. Yeah they do post-rock with vocals. Yeah, they're fucking amazing.

also:

Robyn Hitchcock/The Soft Boys (if you haven't heard "Underwater Moonlight" just go fucking download it now)

The Quails (No one has even heard of them!)

Bratmobile (best Riot Grrrl band ever)

The Dirty Three

X (perhaps the greatest of the early punk bands)\

John Cale (yeah his music lacks something, but he's still amazing)

The Kinks (deserve so much more respect than they get)

Scott Walker

X-Ray Spex (1970's punk with kickass Saxophone, need I say more?)

Young Marble Giants

The Wipers

I could go on forever...

Kinks

Sun-Ra

Amebix

X

U-God

Inspectah Deck

They come to mind as artists where I'm wondering how come they just aren't as popular as their contemporaries. X are by far one of the best early Punk bands, as Mith has said. U-God and Inspectah Deck, while not necessarily better than most of the Clan, deserve much more props and are too overshadowed by GZA, ODB, and Meth.

I could go on forever...

Kinks

Sun-Ra

Amebix

X

U-God

Inspectah Deck

dude, Amebix is like thee Benchmark for the Crust sound. Sun Ra Is also really recognized in alot of jazz circles (at least around here.) Granted they're far from the mainstream, I find that most people recognize these groups alot when referring too their respective genres.

Both are really amzing though.

I guess I didn't give it much thought. I was thinking about what my friends listen to and then artists who are similar and sometimes better who they don't even know about.

Yeah, I was thinking of mentioning GSY!BE but they're really popular and well thought of among people who actually know who they are.

EDIT: Same with, like sunnO))) and Boris.

Run DMC..and I hope people know that they had other songs besides Walk This Way.

This band was and is the pinnacle of hip hop music in the 80's..they did alot for the industry with their smooth lyrics..and came before the gangsta rap craze.

Dr. Dre

The real brains behind NWA..and other rappers on the West Coast..He had so much talent brought into the music scene that its bad.

i forgot about Soundgarden, only the first 3 albums though.

That's a good mention. I would have never thought of them as underrated. Only because I once knew a guy who listened to Soundgarden practically 24/7. I think he only listened to like 4 other artists besides them in a given year.