ROCKSTEADY

Rocksteady Recommends!

20 posts in this topic

As many of you may or may not know, i listen to quite a bit of music. In this thread i will be releasing music from genres across the board, all of the albums released are albums i really love, or albums i'm sure many of you will enjoy. First off...

theus_fats~_blackout~_101b.jpg

Fats Theus - Blackout

This is the first release by tenor sax player Fats Theus. Originally released in 1970 on Creed Taylor’s CTI label, this album was quite hard to find until it was re-released in 2000. Mr. Taylor also produced this album.

Session players include Grant Green, who plays some excellent guitar, Hilton Felton and Clarence Palmer on organ, Jimmy

Lewis and Chuck Rainey on bass, Idris Muhammad on drums, and Eddie Moore, who plays a saw solo(!) on Bed Of Nails.

This album is all about soul-jazz. It’s heavily blues and soul influenced. If Booker T and the M.G.s went to jazz camp every summer in their youth, this is what they might have come up with.

The various players have opted for a smooth and mellow sound rather than cutting loose. The over all feeling is restrained and even respectful, sort of like music played when a talk show breaks for commercial. I found myself wishing that they would throw down at least a little.

All instrumental.

–Hunter Gatherer

I came across this album about a week ago, its quickly becoming one of my favorite smooth jazz albums.

ill016.jpg

OVERTHRUSTER - GRIM AS FUCK

I know many have you have heard me talk about this shit, so here it is.

Overthruster blows your skull wide open with this very brutal release. All the frequencies peak, and your ears might just bleed a little. But don't worry, they propably heal in like 10 years or so.

Overthruster has been producing hard revival acid house, idm, harsh noise, breakcore, shoegazer, hard tech, ghetto tech, gabber, lo-fi hardcore, power electronics, speedcore, free jazz, ambient, grindcore, musique concrete, death metal, chipbreak & expirimental music for over ten years or so, has performed over 200 blistering live shows with artists including cock esp, hecate, sutekh, anamanaguchi, costes, shiny mcshine, baseck, no face, bitshifter, otto von shirach, & bogdan raczynski, has over 80 releases on labels such as microbio, trutype sounds, 20kbps, tanzprocesz, far from showbiz, abulia concepts, gainlad, reamp3, floppyswop, starsinrehab, mp3death, uran97 and others under overthruster and other aliases. his lowbit netlabel northamericanhardcore has been up and running since 2004 and to date has over 90 releases, including work from passenger of shit, slutmachine, acrnym, cock esp, seahorse drivers, toilettooth, panda bee, the abortionist and the famed "dissed by the qfs" comp series. his favvorite restaurant is chatori khatori (toyama, jpn) and he is the grandfather of gameboy breakcore/hard mentalist 4bit electronics.

-Illphabeitk

ill016.jpg

OVERTHRUSTER - GRIM AS FUCK

I know many have you have heard me talk about this shit, so here it is.

Overthruster blows your skull wide open with this very brutal release. All the frequencies peak, and your ears might just bleed a little. But don't worry, they propably heal in like 10 years or so.

Overthruster has been producing hard revival acid house, idm, harsh noise, breakcore, shoegazer, hard tech, ghetto tech, gabber, lo-fi hardcore, power electronics, speedcore, free jazz, ambient, grindcore, musique concrete, death metal, chipbreak & expirimental music for over ten years or so, has performed over 200 blistering live shows with artists including cock esp, hecate, sutekh, anamanaguchi, costes, shiny mcshine, baseck, no face, bitshifter, otto von shirach, & bogdan raczynski, has over 80 releases on labels such as microbio, trutype sounds, 20kbps, tanzprocesz, far from showbiz, abulia concepts, gainlad, reamp3, floppyswop, starsinrehab, mp3death, uran97 and others under overthruster and other aliases. his lowbit netlabel northamericanhardcore has been up and running since 2004 and to date has over 90 releases, including work from passenger of shit, slutmachine, acrnym, cock esp, seahorse drivers, toilettooth, panda bee, the abortionist and the famed "dissed by the qfs" comp series. his favvorite restaurant is chatori khatori (toyama, jpn) and he is the grandfather of gameboy breakcore/hard mentalist 4bit electronics.

-Illphabeitk

Gave this a shot. Sounds like a drum machine having a seizure. :awesome:

But then again, I don't get alot of electronic music.

SKA/PUNK!

3376835b52922353ae60151e96c2ea22.jpg

Choking Victim - No Gods, No Managers

One of my favorite albums of all time.

From Wikipedia:

The band became well-known at the C-Squat in the Lower East Side of Manhattan for their innovative music and politically charged lyrics. They also became infamous for their Satanic imagery and references to the vagrant lifestyle, such as crack-smoking, shoplifting, and squatting. The band prides itself on its atheism, making reference to Satan for the purpose of being offensive, rather than any actual worship of the deity. On the album No Gods, No Managers, they use excerpts from the lectures of political scientist Michael Parenti.

kraftwerk~~_kraftwerk_101b.jpg

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk

I love kraftwerk. i've listened to the Discography hundreds of times over. This album displays their physcadelic and krautrock roots. Its a wonderful mix of heavy drones and heavier grooves. A must download!

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk

I love kraftwerk. i've listened to the Discography hundreds of times over. This album displays their physcadelic and krautrock roots. Its a wonderful mix of heavy drones and heavier grooves. A must download!

Oh! Thank you.

I've been meaning to listen to some Kraftwerk forever.

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk

<3

I'm downloading the Kraftwerk, too. Like Mith I've been meaning to listen to them forever.

As many of you may or may not know, i listen to quite a bit of music. In this thread i will be releasing music from genres across the board, all of the albums released are albums i really love, or albums i'm sure many of you will enjoy. First off...

theus_fats~_blackout~_101b.jpg

Fats Theus - Blackout

This is the first release by tenor sax player Fats Theus. Originally released in 1970 on Creed Taylor’s CTI label, this album was quite hard to find until it was re-released in 2000. Mr. Taylor also produced this album.

Session players include Grant Green, who plays some excellent guitar, Hilton Felton and Clarence Palmer on organ, Jimmy

Lewis and Chuck Rainey on bass, Idris Muhammad on drums, and Eddie Moore, who plays a saw solo(!) on Bed Of Nails.

This album is all about soul-jazz. It’s heavily blues and soul influenced. If Booker T and the M.G.s went to jazz camp every summer in their youth, this is what they might have come up with.

The various players have opted for a smooth and mellow sound rather than cutting loose. The over all feeling is restrained and even respectful, sort of like music played when a talk show breaks for commercial. I found myself wishing that they would throw down at least a little.

All instrumental.

–Hunter Gatherer

I came across this album about a week ago, its quickly becoming one of my favorite smooth jazz albums.

Young man Rocksteady, you have officially joined the ranks of legends. I cannot believe that someone on this forum actually knows who Fats Theus is.

You are now on my A-List! ( ^o^) <3

mrjonessealofapproval7tb.jpg

After a bit of thinking I decided to download the Fats Theus album, too. I've nothing to lose and I like the saxophone.

Young man Rocksteady, you have officially joined the ranks of legends. I cannot believe that someone on this forum actually knows who Fats Theus is.

You are now on my A-List! ( ^o^) <3

mrjonessealofapproval7tb.jpg

what can i say man, i love that West coast Soul/Jazz :biggrin:

I will listen to these artists, but what does Rocksteady recommend for me off the top of his head???

I will listen to these artists, but what does Rocksteady recommend for me off the top of his head???

Shinki Chen's self titled, good japanese smoked out psychedelic.

I think a lot of you would love my band. We're called "Eleventy Goat Sheathes + 1" and our music is an eclectic fusion of jazz, gospel, and satanic folk lyrics that are wholesome, kid friendly, and somewhat unnerving. I must warn you, there is a 0.91% chance of being impregnated whilst listening to my band.