Recommendations

Gundampilotspaz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the two shows that intrest me the most of the fall season are Shakugan no Shana and Noien. Shana has cutesy looking characters but relatively dark plot while Noien has shown the potential to be a dark and epic sci-fi series in the few episodes I have scene. Honey and Clover, Aquirion, and Euruka Seven are three shows that have stood out the most this year. I finished H & C recently and in all it was an excelent little shoujo title that did a great job of developing all the characters while doing an excelent job of balancing the comedy in drama aspects of the show. Aquirion and Euruka 7 have still not been subbed in thier entirety but have so far been very involving character-driven mecha shows. Aquirion is a little cheesy at times, but if you like that sort of thing (Super Robot-type mecha action), you'll love it. As for comedy, this year has seen two good shows: Pani Poni Dash and Animel Yokocho. PPD is highley random and wierd to the point where you just have to laugh at everything rather then try to understand the pop culture reference (and believe me, thiers alot of them), while AniYoko is just plain silly light heared fun that bills itself as a cutesy kids show. And last but not least thiers Gakuen Alice, a show about a Sana-esque little girl to goes off to live in Hogwarts in order becuase her best friend/lover went away to live thier. Yeah, sounds silly buts its a fairly decent comedy/shoujo series. Ands thats what I recommend~

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna agree with Haya on Pani Poni Dash. There's also Black Cat and Blood+, of course, though I doubt there're too many people here that haven't seen those.

Also, I'm throwing this out there because it seems to be a series few people have heard of. I highly reccomend Infinite Ryvius, which is basically Lord of the Flies on a spaceship. (It was released over 4 years, so I pity you if you bought the DVDs one at a time).

Edited by Samurai Drifter
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would list what I want from an anime, but I don't really know anything about the ones I haven't seen or even what I really want. So instead I'll list the shows I have seen significant amounts of and liked, and maybe someone can come up with something else I might like.

G Gundam (I recognize that it's not that good but I LOVE it nonetheless)

Lupin the 3rd

Yu Yu Hakusho

Fullmetal Alchemist

Cowboy Bebop

Excel Saga

Azumanga Daioh (though I can only watch so much at a time since it's so slow)

Evangelion (I've just started watching it on Adult Swim and like what I've seen)

Original Dragonball (in small doses)

Ruroni Kenshin (to a certian extent)

Case Closed (there's something about this show that I really like)

Inuyasha (for some reason I just CAN'T stop watching this)

And finally, Hamtaro (another show that for some reason I can't stop watching. It's probably a good thing that cartoon network stopped showing it...)

I know there are a few that I forgot, but, I forgot them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would list what I want from an anime, but I don't really know anything about the ones I haven't seen or even what I really want. So instead I'll list the shows I have seen significant amounts of and liked, and maybe someone can come up with something else I might like.

*snip snip*

Excel Saga

Azumanga Daioh (though I can only watch so much at a time since it's so slow)

*snipped again*

cromartie is a super cool, totally irreverent series. if i could find my old subs, i'd be watching them right now

• 4 weeks later...

I like the giant robots. I don't like what religious stuff there is. It's kind of like Gundam Wing. I don't like the show, but I love the robots, so instead of watching it I just spent ungodly amounts of money on gundam models. At the present I probably have about 25-30 models.

I think he ment that you were watching it on Adult Swim.

Because him and I both love Evangelion.

• 2 weeks later...

Evangelion was super preachy and it wasn't as philosophically interesting as it seemed.

Not that it's a bad show; it's quite complex and well written... especially for an anime.

(Not to mention that the yaoi possibilities on that show are endless! ooh)

BTW, don't mistake me for someone who is just now watching it on adult swim. (Yikes)

But, as far as anime recommendations go? Eh, Genshiken is pretty entertaining...

Evangelion is one of those love/hate shows, but I really loved it.

No one has mentioned Serial Experiment Lain. It's short (I think... 13 episodes) but it is really weird and complex with some cool imagery at times.

I can't figure out how to take a screen shot while I'm doing it on this computer... but the shadows have all these weird red splotches and stuff.

No one has mentioned Serial Experiment Lain. It's short (I think... 13 episodes) but it is really weird and complex with some cool imagery at times.

I can't figure out how to take a screen shot while I'm doing it on this computer... but the shadows have all these weird red splotches and stuff.

I think Vampy (Liminal Faerie) knows how.

Huh, I didn't really think it was love/hate, as I thought it was pretty average (except for EOE, that was an excellent movie).

No one has mentioned Serial Experiment Lain. It's short (I think... 13 episodes) but it is really weird and complex with some cool imagery at times

Lain is pretty good. I put it in the same genre as Boogiepop Phantom and Paranoia Agent- really weird supernatural stuff, with seriously dark overtones. Lain, however, is more technologically based (maybe that's why I thought it was better than the other two).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is more for future reference. But can anyone give me some anime that were reek of the mid-90's feel? I'm having trouble coming up with examples. So essentially just list an anime that aired in the mid-90's.

I'm trying to reach into the past.

Ruin Explorers reeks of mid-90s. Gunsmith Cats and Golden Boy do also, and they're radder than hell

unrelated, Ergo Proxy seems to be really damn cool

• 3 weeks later...