Accelerated Evolution

XBlox 360

Svenska Aeroplan

So, with this, Microsoft has brought the piece of shit to an acceptable price range, and I am thinking of getting one.

-Is 20GB enough? I know on the PS3, I've already got over 20GB of space used, but I think that may be because the developers know that all PS3s have a hard drive. Note: The X360 will not become my main gaming machine. It will only be for games that are not also available on the PS3.

-Does the Arcade support HDMI, and if so, is it a real HDMI cable or some bull shit proprietary thing? My monitor only has one HDMI input, and I would prefer to just unplug the cable from the back of my PS3, and put it into the X360 when I want to play it. My desk setup makes it hard to get behind my monitor.

-Besides the hard drive, does the Arcade lack any other major features?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The differences are outlined here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm Basically, no HD output, and a lot of extra things aren't included. No HD is ofc the major thing you miss out on with an Arcade model and the reason why it is so much cheaper.

The HDMI cable used is your standard HDMI cable. Nothing special here.

20GB is plenty, unless you actually plan on using your 360 as a media player, or using that silly new feature that lets you copy an entire 360 game to your HD for faster loading. Otherwise, you can expect to use 10GB at most on savedata, demos and XBLA games.

The Elite costs too much for something I'll be using as a secondary system.

Given your criteria, I would get the Pro bundle with the 20 or 60 GB HDD. I download a lot of tracks for Rockband, so my Hard Drive is gradually filling up (I have 3GB free). Since I've moved, I no longer have internet, so DLC and demos aren't an issue for me right now. The 20GB pro is good if you don't care about DLC. My 360 is about 18 months old, and still running strong.

I wouldn't recommend the Arcade model to anyone, ever. The Arcade model is simply a core unit that comes with some arcade games. It DOES support HD, but does NOT come with a component cable, HDD, and has a wired controller. In sum: it's a waste of money. The xbox360 arcade is designed to trick parents into thinking it's just as good as a Wii, but $50 cheaper.

Exclusive 360 games I recommend:

Gears of War

Crackdown

Mass Effect

Burnout Revenge (next-gen exclusive*, last-gen version sucked)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (next-gen exclusive*, I HIGHLY recommend if you do not have any other version)

*when I say next-gen exclusive, I mean that the game was multiplatform, and released on ps2, xbox, and/or gamecube, but if you want the next-gen version, it's only out on 360.

Just go with the 20gig, it's way more then enough space if you're not buying every XBLA game and don't download movies/tv shows a lot.

I have 44 full XBLA games, over 100 save files for retail games, and that gigantic FFXI required install on my 20gig and still have 6 gigs left.

Given your criteria, I would get the Pro bundle with the 20 or 60 GB HDD. I download a lot of tracks for Rockband, so my Hard Drive is gradually filling up (I have 3GB free). Since I've moved, I no longer have internet, so DLC and demos aren't an issue for me right now. The 20GB pro is good if you don't care about DLC. My 360 is about 18 months old, and still running strong.

I wouldn't recommend the Arcade model to anyone, ever. The Arcade model is simply a core unit that comes with some arcade games. It DOES support HD, but does NOT come with a component cable, HDD, and has a wired controller. In sum: it's a waste of money. The xbox360 arcade is designed to trick parents into thinking it's just as good as a Wii, but $50 cheaper.

Exclusive 360 games I recommend:

Gears of War

Crackdown

Mass Effect

Burnout Revenge (next-gen exclusive*, last-gen version sucked)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (next-gen exclusive*, I HIGHLY recommend if you do not have any other version)

*when I say next-gen exclusive, I mean that the game was multiplatform, and released on ps2, xbox, and/or gamecube, but if you want the next-gen version, it's only out on 360.

According to the Xbox website, the Arcade comes with everything the regular one does except for the hard drive, head set, and network cable. It also comes with composite instead of component cables.

I don't care about the head set, I have plent of network cables, I have an HDMI cable already, and you can now get a 20GB HDD for $20. $220 vs $300 for the same thing.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm?WT.svl=nav

Why would you want a system that you say is a "piece of shit", even if they bring the price down?

Games.

According to the Xbox website, the Arcade comes with everything the regular one does except for the hard drive, head set, and network cable. It also comes with composite instead of component cables.

I don't care about the head set, I have plent of network cables, I have an HDMI cable already, and you can now get a 20GB HDD for $20. $220 vs $300 for the same thing.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm?WT.svl=nav

Where the hell do you get a 20GB HDD for $20? That's the #1 thing I hate about the 360. They ass-rape you on the price of data storage on YOUR system.

That site seems to suggest that it does not have backwards compatibility with Xbox games. Part of the reason I want one is so I can play the Sega games I got screwed out of since I didn't get an Xbox.

the backwards compatability is pretty limited with sega games, most of mine wont save or crash at a certain point.

Fail. I just got back from Game Crazy, and they only had an Elite (too expensive) and an old used core system (RROD waiting to happen, no HDMI).

...so I bought Folklore, and preordered Valkyria Chronicles and Mirrors Edge (PS3). After I'm done with Folklore, I'll go back for Disgaea 3, and Eternal Sonata. Also, because of known ghey-ness, I also have to get my copy of LittleBigPlanet. Budget blown! Sorry Microsoft. You have failed yet again.