Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
GummyBearOfDoom

Cool sports stats or Facts

-Connecticut had a professional NFL team in 1926 called the Hartford Blues.

-Only 14 unassisted tripleplays have happened in MLB in the modern day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play

-Most points in an NFL game Washington vs. N.Y. Giants, Nov. 27, 1966- The Redskins got 72 points.

-Most points combining points from both teams in the NFL was in that same '66 game with Skins vs Giants with 113, obviously the remaining 41 coming from the Giants.

-Josh Gibson (1911-1947) ended his career with the highest batting average in Negro league baseball with an average recorded at least .350 but some sources around .384.

I love stats and facts so I thought this would be a cool place to share them as I am always reading about them.

-the 28 years between world series championships is the longest span between any teams championships.

-Game 5 was the first World Series game to be suspended due to weather.

-Brett Favre is the all-time leader in touchdowns(457) and interceptions(299).

-The first basketball hoop was a peach basket.

This is one of my favourite sport facts as it sounds so fucking unbelievable until the end.

Portsmouth FC after reaching their 3rd FA Cup final, won the FA Cup against Wolves and held the cup uninterrupted for 6 years. This is the longest any team has ever held onto the FA Cup. However Portsmouth won the cup in the 1938-39 season and thus football was nt played until the end of the second world war and the next season was 45-46. However this still stands as the record and thus if any team ever wants to beat it they must win the FA cup 7 years running or prey for another war.

Hahaha, that's hilarious.

Baseball definitely wins in the stats category, it's a sport built around them. But I'm going to post a few lesser known basketball stats.

It is a rule in the NBA that numbers only go up to 55 (There are a few exceptions I believe). The Boston Celtics have retired 20 numbers as well as #00 for Robert Parish and Mic for Johnny Most. And one would assume they will reach 21 with Paul Pierce and perhaps even 22 with Kevin Garnett. With those 2 numbers retired, the Boston Celtics would be halfway to having retired every available number.

Despite their 17 championships, the Celtics do not have the most all-time wins nor best winning percentage. Both honors belong to their eternal rivals, the Lakers (who, also, have only missed the playoffs 5 times in their history). The all-time worst winning percentage belongs to the Grizzlies, but for organizations around since the NBA's inception one must look to the Warriors who also have the most losses ever.

The most minutes played in a season belongs to Wilt Chamberlain who played in 3882 (an average of 48.5 minutes a game, unprecedented due to there only being 48 minutes in a non-OT game) in 1961-62 for the Philadelphia Warriors. This was also the Warriors' final season in Philadelphia, they moved to San Francisco the next year.

Mark Price is the NBA's all-time leader in FT% with 90.39%. The all-time leader in attempts should come as no surprise, Karl Malone.

Despite being one of the worst free throw shooters of all-time, Shaquille O'Neal is 2nd all-time in Field Goal percentage.

Cool stats, I don't know much about basketball. I didn't know that people's jerseys don't go above 55. Why is that?

Wilt Chamerlain, I have read a fair amount about. I mean if you read anything about sports you can't miss the man. I doubt he will ever be matched.

And you'd think Shaq would get better at free throws.

I'm not sure on the reason. I researched it and that rule is, technically, only in college but still often used in the NBA. FIBA rules only allow numbers 4-15. European teams, and South American teams, do not retire numbers however.

Doc Gooden is the youngest player ever to win the NL Cy Young Award at just 20 years old in 1985.

Orel Hershiser holds the record for longest scoreless inning streak at over 45 innings.

Nigel Thatch, a minor league baseball player and actor was once traded for 60 cases of Budweiser. It is ironic that he was an actor in Budweiser commercials and then later traded for beer. He failed to report to his new team and a complaint was lodged in which case the beer would have had to have been returned.

Doc Gooden is the youngest player ever to win the NL Cy Young Award at just 20 years old in 1985.

Orel Hershiser holds the record for longest scoreless inning streak at over 45 innings.

Nigel Thatch, a minor league baseball player and actor was once traded for 60 cases of Budweiser. It is ironic that he was an actor in Budweiser commercials and then later traded for beer. He failed to report to his new team and a complaint was lodged in which case the beer would have had to have been returned.

hahaha these are awesome. Especially the beer one, jesus.

I dunno, I think this is accurate. IIRC

Two years ago, Champ Bailey, CB for the Broncos only allowed 4....FOUR receptions by WRs he was covering all season long.

FOUR!!!!!!!!!

~

Last year, the Florida Gators only allowed 23 yards by kick and punt returners all season long.

~

Those exact numbers are subject to change, but if my memory serves me right, they are right or just around the numbers I read back then.

I dunno, I think this is accurate. IIRC

Two years ago, Champ Bailey, CB for the Broncos only allowed 4....FOUR receptions by WRs he was covering all season long.

FOUR!!!!!!!!!

~

Last year, the Florida Gators only allowed 23 yards by kick and punt returners all season long.

~

Those exact numbers are subject to change, but if my memory serves me right, they are right or just around the numbers I read back then.

That's insane.

In recent news Matt Cassel is the first Patriots QB to have two 400 yard + games in a row.