Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
Galkar

Countdown timers

As hilariously awful as the WotLK timer is, people in that thread seem to actually be interested in possible countdown timers for big game/movie/album releases in their respective sections of the board. Perhaps we can discuss that here?

I for one am actually interested in one for the VG section. Perhaps we could have a sticky where we put suggestions for games to count down to and then use that thread to vote.

I'm thankful that timer is a joke because it's seriously an eyesore. I don't care about MMO's, even if it was for a game I care about, it'd still be this ugly red thing at the top of every page. It's like Elite menstruated all over the top of AE.

I think it would work for videogames but I'm not sure about movies or music as there are so many of them and interest in them is often purely subjective. At least it seems to me that gamers in general get excited about and look foward to the same games more than cinemagoers and music fans do the same movies and albums.

But I dont really mind to be honest, it's a pretty cool idea anyway.

I really only mentioned the movies and albums because Wind suggested that.

I'm thankful that timer is a joke because it's seriously an eyesore. I don't care about MMO's, even if it was for a game I care about, it'd still be this ugly red thing at the top of every page. It's like Elite menstruated all over the top of AE.

I agree about it being an eyesore. Presumably if we actually did this they would be made to look better.

Also, if it were to happen, then the site should be getting money for it. I shouldn't have to stare at a countdown banner when no one is benefitting from it but the big corporation who owns whatever we're waiting for. That way, donations wouldn't be quite so much of a necessity (but still welcome, I'm sure).

I would be worried about that becoming a gateway to banner ads, though. I like our little ad-free community.

Well it would also be nice if the banner could be turn off on a person by person basis.

I don't really expect this to happen, I just thought it could be cool.

Elite purposefully made it obnoxious lol. An actual timer wouldn't look so ridiculous

Elite purposefully made it obnoxious lol. An actual timer wouldn't look so ridiculous

I'm actually surprised he didn't make it more obnoxious. It could be blinking and/or moving back and forth across the screen.

I'm actually surprised he didn't make it more obnoxious. It could be blinking and/or moving back and forth across the screen.

I don't think he wanted to make it obnoxious to the point that one of us would kill him

Admittedly, it was a very quick gag.

I found some javascript for an HTML countdown timer on google and crudely copy/pasted it into the global board layout. LOL.

Now as for a countdown timer for things like game releases and movie releases, ect, ect... it would require quite a bit more work to set one of those up, especially to make it only display in a certain section of the board, and to make it so it can be hidden on a per-user basis.

With IPB 3 around the corner, I'm not installing any mods at the moment, so it'll have to wait, if it does happen...

Admittedly, it was a very quick gag.

I found some javascript for an HTML countdown timer on google and crudely copy/pasted it into the global board layout. LOL.

Now as for a countdown timer for things like game releases and movie releases, ect, ect... it would require quite a bit more work to set one of those up, especially to make it only display in a certain section of the board, and to make it so it can be hidden on a per-user basis.

With IPB 3 around the corner, I'm not installing any mods at the moment, so it'll have to wait, if it does happen...

Yea I hear IPB 3 is coming out next month. like it was two months ago

Somewhere around August Invision said "by the end of 2008". 2 weeks ago they announced that an Alpha would be released "in a week or two". I have no idea when the hell it's coming out.

i didnt even know it was for WoW until after the countdown was taken off. it looked like some new weird lord of the rings movie with that acronym. in my defense i did know it was for a game i was just stupid.

i found it subtly annoying. i wouldnt want it that in your face if you were to do it for other things like movies or music.