Accelerated Evolution

I Need Help with Philosophy.... Again

Siendra

I know, I know. This is pathetic. I don't know what it is, this stuff just refuses to click with me no matter how hard I try. Anyway, I need a quick hand with my paper due on Monday. I've been given five topics and I need to compare two bodies of theory or theorists we've covered.

Topics/Dimensions:

Freedom

The role of reason

The role of truth/knowledge

The influence of society on our lives

Implications for society (Democracy, etc)

We've studied: Confucius, the Bible, Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Marx, Freud, and Darwin (Possibly some other things, not sure).

Basically, I'm looking for some help figuring out which theorists/theories can be compared across which topics. I just really don't get most of this stuff. I know, It's :sad:, but it is as it is. So help, please? I really need a=to get a half-way decent grade on this.

Any other insight you might have time for would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton, guys.

you could really use examples from any of those authors (sans god) but your really going to have to link economics with government and blah blah blah until you make your point. Everything is pretty relative in some fashion or another.

The bible and confucius would be good things to about society and knowledge.

You need to compare two theorists to each one of those?

The Republic will cover most of them, especially the allegory of the cave. That one story alone should fill one slot for, Freedom; The influence of society on our lives; The role of truth/knowledge; and Implications for society.

No, I need to pick ONE and compare two theorists around that topic.

Personally, I would use the Bible, the broad range of topics that can be covered by that book is limitless at times.

The Bible discussing the influence of society on our lives is your strongest link. Most of the New Testament chapters of the Bible, especially the birth and death of Christ, are written to be directly related to provide loose solutions to our modern day problems, biblically speaking. Looking at King Solomon's life is also key because he was astute in his solutions to complex problems, although they may have been controversial.

And other information you need on that, I can help. Unfortunately, I was an Agnostic stuck in the religous school system for many years.

EDIT: After reading Set's post, I would also have to suggest the Bible with truth/knowledge as well. Although the Old Testament was written for the times it took place and was not supposed to be related directly to modern times, or the times the New Testament was written as well (speaking from a Christian-based perspective), the thoughts and notions can still be used for discussion.

The tough thing about choosing the Bible is basically which faith-based perspective you would like to interpret it through. Catholics and Christians have radical differences on major issues, which makes it near impossible to write a paper sometimes.

I was trying to use Faulty's suggestion, but I just don't get Kant's take on the role of reason. I've read parts of "Religion Within the Mere Boundaries of Reason" and "Critique of Practical Reason" and... what? What the hell is he trying to say. He mentions the term reason several times in the first text but never freaking defines it, and if he's applying it somehow it's going right over my head.

Gah! Help? Pretty please?

Isn't there anything Marx and Confucius agreed on? Those two at least make some kind of sense. Actually, anything with one of those two would be great. I've read some of both while studying and trying to keep up with the lectures and at least been able to follow where each led if not totally understand it.

I'm going to assume I meant what I said. I lived with my Grandmother who is a Catholic, and my mother, who was a Christian, for 20 years of my almost 23 years of existence. There are distinct differences and things that you have to hear and experience that books and college courses will not teach you. Living with someone who has believed it all their life and taking a 3 credit college course or perusing a Wikipedia article will not even be able to touch the former.

The "saints and the virgin Mary thing" are not the only differences between the two groups. Go ahead and tell a Catholic that they sound like a Christian and watch the reaction, and vice versa; I could go on and on about interpretations and such that both groups have very, very different views on.

I'm going to assume I meant what I said. I lived with my Grandmother who is a Catholic, and my mother, who was a Christian, for 20 years of my almost 23 years of existence. There are distinct differences and things that you have to hear and experience that books and college courses will not teach you. Living with someone who has believed it all their life and taking a 3 credit college course or perusing a Wikipedia article will not even be able to touch the former.

The "saints and the virgin Mary thing" are not the only differences between the two groups. Go ahead and tell a Catholic that they sound like a Christian and watch the reaction, and vice versa; I could go on and on about interpretations and such that both groups have very, very different views on.

I could probably count the number of Christians who are among my personal friends on one hand... I have very little relationship with the religion personally.

However... Catholics do identify themselves as Christians (in that they believe in the divinity of Christ). I don't know about any Catholics you know personally, but I do know that that is the official position of the Catholic church.