Accelerated Evolution

How do I do this?

I had this little spark of interest the other day that was inspired by some fake propaganda, but I don't know how to execute it.

Killzone_Propaganda.jpg

This is a really good example of the style I'm after. I want to make something that has a stark background with a figure that has a lot of lost and found areas/edges in black and white. What medium do I use to do the background and what do I use for the foreground? Or should they be the same media? I was thinking doing the background on bristol or something harder with acrylic paint and after it dries to use ink and a brush. Is that feasible? I've never painted really and I don't typically mix media unless it's something tried and true like graphite and charcoal [even though it's hard to fix when you fuck up.]

Thoughts?

Thanks

You could use Bristol, but it usually tends to bend when wet media is applied, especially paint. You'd probably be better off using wood or canvas if you were wanting to use paint. Anyways, for the background paint would be good (the brushstrokes usually give you an interesting distorted texture when you go back and forth with the paint). But you could pretty much do whatever you wanted for the foreground. Spray paint, ink, whatever is easier for you to work with. You could even just make the foreground figure separately and just cut it out or transfer it onto the background. Stencils might help on this too.

You could use Bristol, but it usually tends to bend when wet media is applied, especially paint. You'd probably be better off using wood or canvas if you were wanting to use paint. Anyways, for the background paint would be good (the brushstrokes usually give you an interesting distorted texture when you go back and forth with the paint). But you could pretty much do whatever you wanted for the foreground. Spray paint, ink, whatever is easier for you to work with. You could even just make the foreground figure separately and just cut it out or transfer it onto the background. Stencils might help on this too.

Hmmm. I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to canvases or painting in general that's why I asked about bristol. I didn't think of using a stencil, but that might be a better way to get across that texture/feel I'm going for. Never use spray paint to paint anything other than a door before though and I've never made a stencil...Hmmm.. I need to do some research.

Bristol is good for a lot of things, you can use some wet media on it without too much trouble. But the amount of paint you'd use to create a background for something like this would totally make it bend. You can pretty much use anything that has a good weight to it paper wise.

Bristol is good for a lot of things, you can use some wet media on it without too much trouble. But the amount of paint you'd use to create a background for something like this would totally make it bend. You can pretty much use anything that has a good weight to it paper wise.

I had a quick chat with my girlfriend on her break and she told me she has some pre-stretched canvas I can have, so high five on that one. I think I'm gonna go with the stencil idea. Thanks dude. :headbang: