Accelerated Evolution

Disability

What do you think about it?

I am happy that tax dollars are used to help support people who need help. I can't think of a better use for them. There is no shame in needing help because human beings are made stronger by interdependence and we all need each other. Independence and self-suffiency are myths.

There's no problem with money being spent to help the disabled, very few people have problems with this. Those that do point to how non-disabled or people only slighty disabled take advantage of it. Which everyone agrees sucks. I don't think there are enough handicap parking spaces also, like seriously, this mall near me has probably a total of 40. Out of probably over 1,000 parking spaces.

If you are disabled and need assistance, you should get it. However, you shouldn't expect the government to be your sole care taker, which seems to be how a lot of people handle this.

And the people who abuse the system need to be dealt with. Cut them off from all but the essentials they will need for their dissability. It really bothers me that somebody with a limp can get 100% free medicare, an on-call nurse, and a $900 AISH cheque.

Well the question becomes what is a "serious" disabilty. And you have to remember, not all disabilities are obvious or visable to you. Also some very dibilitating illnesses, like fibromyalgia, are very difficult to diagnose accurately, and it would probably be easy fake; where do you draw the line? It's not as if people with fibromyalgia don't deserve help.

Also, to Darkon: Umm... 40 out of 1000 parking spaces sounds like plenty to me. I mean, it's not like all that high of a percentage of the populace is handicapped.

Well the question becomes what is a "serious" disabilty. And you have to remember, not all disabilities are obvious or visable to you. Also some very dibilitating illnesses, like fibromyalgia, are very difficult to diagnose accurately, and it would probably be easy fake; where do you draw the line? It's not as if people with fibromyalgia don't deserve help.

Also, to Darkon: Umm... 40 out of 1000 parking spaces sounds like plenty to me. I mean, it's not like all that high of a percentage of the populace is handicapped.

No, it's the fact that there are too many people not handicapped who use the spots. The only solution I can see is to add more spaces, or monitor them better, since not everyone is a prick.

Right, unless you are someone's caretaker, who are you to say if someone really is disabled or not? A large chunk of society believes mental illnesses are "excuses" ect....

It's really very hard to get disability (do you think the government likes to hand out money to people who don't work?) and there's not much cheating going on.

It's really very hard to get disability (do you think the government likes to hand out money to people who don't work?) and there's not much cheating going on.

It's the opposite here. It's very easy to be on both dissability and AISH (Basicaly the same thing.). Your life just has to have been interrupted by your condition. So like I said, have a light limp? Yeah, you can get dissability here. That bothers me.