Accelerated Evolution

Israeli Attack on the Gaza Strip

Well, this place is pretty much dead these days (partially because most threads degenerate into a capitalism vs. whatever argument, and no, I'm not saying that I'm not complicit in that) but I figured we should at least have a thread on the fucked up shit goin' on over in the Gaza Strip.

Those of you who follow the news will probably be somewhat familiar with the situation, as it's a pretty big deal, so I'm just gonna quote this article that's a bit more specific...

Israeli vessel hits Gaza-bound boat

Dignity was carrying aid for Gaza's beleaguered

health care system [AFP]

A small boat, damaged as it tried to break the Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip, has arrived in the Lebanese port of Tyre.

The Dignity started taking on water after it was hit by an Israeli naval vessel as it approached the Israeli coast with its cargo of medical aid.

The Free Gaza Movement, which organised the attempt to reach the territory , said their boat was "rammed" and shots were fired when at least four Israeli vessels confronted them in international waters.

Yigal Palmor, a spokesman for Israel's foreign ministry, denied there had been any shooting but said that the ships had made "physical contact".

He said that the crew of the Dignity had failed to respond to Israeli naval radio contact.

'Rammed'

Elize Ernshire, one of the activists onboard the boat, told Al Jazeera by telephone that the boat was rammed twice from the front and then once from the side.

"It has destroyed the front of the boat and the roof ... and has left the cabin, the wheelhouse quite destroyed," she said.

"... we were threatened directly by the Israeli navy that if we continued on our course towards Gaza they would attack us again"

Mark Regev, an Israeli government spokesman, said that the incident was nothing more than a "propoganda stunt".

"Israel would never have done anything against international law, that is inconceivable," he told Al Jazeera.

"These people just want a headline, they don't really want to help the people of Gaza, if they wanted to help the people of Gaza they would be asking Hamas why they initiated the violence."

Several small boats have arrived in the Gaza Strip carrying international activists and medical aid since August in defiance of the Israeli siege.

Ernshire said that the incident would not stop the movement trying again to take aid to the impoverished territory.

"The majority of passenger here are determined, once we reach Lebanon, to keep continuing to organise such boats as these, to reach the people of Gaza," she said.

Gaza's health system is struggling to cope with the casualties from four consecutive days of aerial bombardment by Israeli warplanes and helicopter gunships.

Shortages

Hospitals were already facing shortages of medicines and other medical products due to the Israeli siege imposed after the Hamas government seized full control of the territory in 2007.

As well as more than three tonnes of aid, the Dignity was carrying three doctors to help treat the more than 1,600 wounded in recent days.

Avital Leibovitz, an Israeli military spokeswoman, said that humanitarian aid was being allowed into the Gaza Strip and the medical supplies on the boat would not have made much impact on the humanitarian situation.

"Lets not talk about a blockade because it does not exist, the humanitarian corridor is active, alive and working," she told Al Jazeera.

"There are a numerous number of trucks enetring Gaza with food and medicine according to the requests of the aid organisations."

Three Al Jazeera journalists were among the 15 people onboard the boat.

"Al Jazeera holds Israel responsible for the safety of the Al Jazeera journalists and everyone on board the Dignity," Wadah Khanfar, director general of the Al Jazeera network said in a statement.

"Al Jazeera's presence on the boat is to cover the expedition for news and journalistic purposes. We are deeply concerned for the safety and well being of our journalists."

One thing this article didn't mention was that Cynthia McKinney, the Green Party nomination for President (and the person I voted for) was onboard the boat at the time, as she is a member of the Free Gaza Movement.

I read this whole situation, though, as Israel acting like an imperialist aggressor. Technically, Hamas ended the ceasefire -- but who started shooting in the first place? Besides which, both sides were able to cite several times that the other broke the terms of the cease-fire (Israel broke it over 100 times and killed over 30 Palestinians during the ceasefire). The whole assault is being treated very poorly in the US media, I can't help but notice...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Isreal. I'm tired of American polititians giving Isreal a free pass on everything they do. We protect them despite the fact that it angers countries that supply oil that our country so desperatly depends on. ...and what do they give us in return? Nothing. The only reason we support them is because polititians want to be elected by impressing the brainless evangelical voters.

Isreal is in the wrong, and so is Hamas. They can both go fuck themselves.

The problem of one of us is the problem of all of us if we're capable of doing anything about it.

Shut up. This isn't the time, or the place, for your hippy communist utopia bullshit. Your problems are not my problems! My problems are not your problems! If you think you can fix my problems, I don't care! They are my problems and I'll deal with them!

This is not our problem. Israel has been in conflict with Gaza for years. Both sides have started shit, neither side is going to learn its lesson. Hamas is a known terrorist organization, they have been launching rockets into Israel for years. Isreal is the most militaristic nation in the middle-east and they happen to be the target of the most hate in the middle-east, who can blame them for striking first when they have? It was just a matter of time. If the United States was struck by just one of those things we'd bomb the offender into a pile of dust and I'd be glad it was done. If Gaza was able to defeat Israel, they would have launched an attack a long time ago.

We don't need to show support. We don't need to talk about it. We don't even need to change the channel on the TV. It'll be over in a few days and then the entire world can go on with their lives with a few less religious zealots to deal with.

FOR FUCKS SAKE GUNDAM.

We are part of the problem now. The U.N. tried to pass another ceasefire under international law... Who stopped them from passing it, Our United States Rep at the U.N.

WE LABELED THE HAMAS AS TERRORIST REMEMBER.

Not to mention NO media is allowed into Gaza. One sided coverage... woohoo.

Oh Israel stopped killing for three hours today! !OMG some aid for the innocents being airstruck and gunned down.

This is fucking fubar.

Fuck Isreal. I'm tired of American polititians giving Isreal a free pass on everything they do. We protect them despite the fact that it angers countries that supply oil that our country so desperatly depends on. ...and what do they give us in return? Nothing. The only reason we support them is because polititians want to be elected by impressing the brainless evangelical voters.

Isreal is in the wrong, and so is Hamas. They can both go fuck themselves.

Who cares? This isn't our problem.

HOORAY LOBBYISM!!

Stop lobbyism and you stop american involvement .

"...Israel (despite the fact) is a relatively rich country, receives more foreign aid than any other country in the world"

-John Mearsheimer

The problem of one of us is the problem of all of us if we're capable of doing anything about it.

We shouldn't do anything about it. We've been messing in the middle east for years, and all it does is cause ill will toward us by who ever is the enemy of the country we are helping.

If the United States was struck by just one of those things we'd bomb the offender into a pile of dust and I'd be glad it was done.

Really? I thought we would just invade a neighbor country and fuck around for a couple of years while passing laws against our own citizens.

Does no one remember when the entire region sent troops into Israel in the 1960s? You people need to grain some perspective. Read a little history.

I remember when Israel declared war on and invaded Jordan, Egypt, and Syria and annexed their national territory in 1967.

Also, lol at GPS. This is our problem because the US is closely allied with Israel, we support them a lot, and we make it so they can keep oppressing Palestinians. If you ever wanted an answer to the question "why do they hate us?" then it's Israel. In fact, I'm pretty sure the whole thing would've been solved long ago had the US not gotten involved.

This is all, of course, that it's just the right thing to do to fight injustice and stop state oppression of both Israelis and Palestinians.

We shouldn't do anything about it. We've been messing in the middle east for years, and all it does is cause ill will toward us by who ever is the enemy of the country we are helping.

We should be helping through humanitarian aid, diplomacy, fair and equal news coverage to both sides, etc. We don't need to barge in guns blazing. Like CF said, the US is embroiled in it so the US is in league with Israel and their actions by its mere support of the country. The injustice done to the Palestinians shouldn't be ignored like it is.

The problem with this view is that the so-called injustice is largely of the palestinian/arab/global left's own doing. If palestinians fire missiles at, or bomb Israel. Well too bad because Israel *insert regurgitated moralistic rantings about Israel's crime of existence or their disregarding of the wholly obsessed UN.* Of course this is only if/after you force them to acknowledge or talk about said actions to begin with. But. As soon as Israel does anything, and I mean anything.... even fight back or protect it's people. We get the eyes of the world and a shitload of people who now care about violence.

I mean just look at Ceraziefish's.. cute little version of history.

All that said though. Neither side is "right" in this type of conflict. It's just that one side has more of the right kind of friends with an ideological or political ax to grind here.

Really? I thought we would just invade a neighbor country and fuck around for a couple of years while passing laws against our own citizens.

ZING!

Y'know, sometimes , in issues regarding the world, I wish the US would just ignore everything and be like, "You know what? Screw you all, I'm gonna go play Tetris or something." and just leave everybody alone. The same goes for pretty much every country, I guess. I wish some of these issues could just be resolved by two guys shouting at each other for an hour or so.

Fuuuuck.

Article should probably mention those "rockets" are realistically nothing more than hand grenades strapped to model rocket engines. Due to the weight, they don't even carry shrapnel.

Isreali response has always been complete disproportionate, but this is fucking ridiculous.

Isreal is more GB's fault then the US'. After all, they folded to the Zionists first, promised more, and decided where to pony up the land.

At the same time, had they not folded WWII would have gone pretty differently. Damned becuase they did, likely damned if they hadn't. Just have to love the world.

Isreal is more GB's fault then the US'. After all, they folded to the Zionists first, promised more, and decided where to pony up the land.

At the same time, had they not folded WWII would have gone pretty differently. Damned becuase they did, likely damned if they hadn't. Just have to love the world.

The US didn't have much to do with the formation of Israel, it's true. But since 1967 Israel and the US have had a "special relationship." You'll notice that the UK isn't giving Israel billions of dollars a year (we give them about six billion dollars cash every year, over half of which is spent on weapons -- that's not counting all the free weapons we give them, either). So I'd argue that the modern Israeli state is more of a US thing.

1967 was a crucial year for Israel. I think things could've gone a lot better for everyone in the region post-1967. As it is I can't imagine the Israelis acting much worse than they did.