Accelerated Evolution

Update: Got my drumkit

Adam

After about a year of playing rock band drums...I've decided it's time for the real thing.

I need help with picking out a kit that's not above 500$ but sounds good and will suit me for a starter kit.

This current one I am looking at is a Tama Rockstar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Rockstar-...357-i1392323.gc

Only issue is, I don't think (I'm a newbie to drums now, I only know so much) that there is a ride cymbal. At least, I don't see one. I'd like to have one.

I'd also love to have double bass but I guess that's out of the question, along with double pedals as well. Very pricey.

But uh, yeah, please let me know if you have any other suggestions. If not, let me know how good this kit would do me.

I'll be playing mostly classic rock and almost all of the Metallica songs (except Blackened obviously..)

Thanks!

That kit doesn't come with any hardware at all. It's just the shells. You don't get any stands, no pedals, no cymbals, nothing. I'd suggest looking used. Read reviews of kits in your price range and then look for them on craigslist or ebay. $500 is pretty low for shells and hardware but you could probably find something. A set of new heads tuned correctly can make many drums sound decent.

Adam didn't you just buy a guitar? I suggest not buying a new instrument unless you really commit yourself to guitar, otherwise by age 20 you'll have a full band and not know how to play any of them.

No? I got a guitar 2 years ago I don't really play it though. I took lessons with it for awhile but other than that..yeah.

i've been drumming for about 9 years now, this is a combination of starter kits and gear i'd reccommend.

The Forum (complete Kit)

This Is the first kit i bought (and currently still have even though I mainly use a Gretsch Club mod kit) Its not under $500 but it is a COMPLETE KIT. It comes with everything you need, and it sounds pretty damn good to boot. Even though its a starter kit I slapped Nice heads on them and have played countless shows with them. They come with cymbals, They sound horrible, at this point in time you won't need to worry about that. The Stock heads sound pretty crappy too, but they will help you get used to the sound of your drums (and tuning them etc etc etc)

PDP Double bass Pedal

If you do want a bass pedal i would reccomend these, i've seen some pretty skilled players play with these when they're main pedals were KIA and they perform as well as pedals twice the price. The only thing is that these pedals are anything but durable, If your starting out though this is the way to go

Pearl Rhythm Traveller

I know your on a pretty limited budget, so this is probably your best bet. Great thing about this kit is that, like the forum, it has everything you will need to play. It also comes with silent heads and cymbal dampeners so that you can play quietly and your mom won't complain. Plus, ITS UNDER $500!

On double bass pedals,

I think that its good to start out playing double bass. Practicing even the simplest double bass patterns really helps with the timing of your other limbs and develops your left leg for quicker high hat response. I found that when i began playing, the double bass patterns were alot easier to practice with before I began the trickier single bass stuff, I felt it gave me a better foundation to learn off from.

Thanks man, I'll look into that.

I found this one on Craiglist.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/987897755.html

It's an amazing kit for only $250. Comes with double pedal, plenty of cymbals and whatnot. For $65 more he throws in another tom and a china/splash.

Called the guy and he said one guy is coming to check it out today..so I doubt I'll be able to get it. Hope I can find another great deal like that soon.

Double-bass pedals are pretty hard to use. I'd recommend waiting for awhile.

first thing i did when i got my kit was work on double bass, never regreted it. Learning it first totally made me a better drummer ALOT faster.

also, I spent over 2K on a roland V-tour for recording purposes never looked back. if your not recording normal sets are key, if your recording or want to play at 4AM go with an expensive Vtour (Not a shitty digi)

first thing i did when i got my kit was work on double bass, never regreted it. Learning it first totally made me a better drummer ALOT faster.

word

Thats awesome you found a "used" on craigslist. Thats really the way too go, i've been looking for someone to buy my old forum for a year now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-TD-9SX-...980-i1395448.gc

trust

review "Just Excellent

I was always enchanted by the way electronic drum makers always pushed the envelope when it came to re-creating the live sound and feel of an acoustic drumset. Roland was always out there and even though I have tried many other brands out there, the technology implemented by Roland can be called Avant Garde. I purchased this kit not too long ago and I am in love. The dynamics are perfect and the the whole system is super easy to use. You can modify your sound to almost any way you want and it is perfect for recording and live gigs (I even did a metal gig!). If you are looking for great technology, user friendly handling and superb sound, then look no more. At this price you get a lot and need to look no more. "

from one of the reviews on the site there, 5/5 stars, i swear by that kit.

Nor did I know his experience was rock band lol, figured he wanted to seriously record or play live.. my BAD

But you can do both of those things with a cheap as hell drumkit. Of course a $2500 one probably sounds better, but still. I think we can all agree that it's musical skill, not your quality of instruments that matters. And of course if he's just learning, he may not decide to keep playing drums for the rest of his life, so it doesn't make sense to spend all that money.

Anyway, my old roommate bought a drum set on craigslist. It was kinda shitty but that one looks better. Also he never tuned it or anything, so I'm sure if you get a used one you'll want to learn about how to set it up first. That'll be good practice, though, and $250 is a damn good price.

After about a year of playing rock band drums...I've decided it's time for the real thing.

I need help with picking out a kit that's not above 500$ but sounds good and will suit me for a starter kit.

Nor did I know his experience was rock band lol, figured he wanted to seriously record or play live.. my BAD

Im a signed a musician.... I get paid for it. Don't give me that parent bullshit.

Oh ho, watch out, big shot here. Although, I do remember you having a whole lot of equipment even before you had Galexia off the ground, does CT have no child labor laws or were you just having record companies throw money at you the moment you turned 18?

Please, do tell me the secret so I can tell all my friends in touring bands how they can get their hands on this massive cashflow so they won't have to worry about not being able to pay the rent because they wanted to press some CD's.

Seriously, you are the first musician I have "known" to never seem to have a problem with money, or being able to pay major names to sing on a track.

Should someone be ashamed because their family had more to give them? No.

But by saying "don't give me that parents BS" he's saying he bought all this shit for himself.

Which either implies that he has an awesome job or he's lying (theoretically because he's ashamed of his parents having a lot of money to give him).

I've got roughly $1000 of musical equipment (more if you count my laptop), 100% paid for by my parents while I was still in high school. I'm not ashamed of it, but I think it's bullshit that I got it for free while other people work their asses off for the same thing.

EDIT: I don't want to sound like I'm ragging on Wind because obviously he cares about his music a lot and puts tons of work into it. But not everyone can afford to have top of the line equipment and a home recording studio before they even get signed.