Accelerated Evolution

Dream Theater- Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Crube

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 13, 2009

New York, NY:

BlackCloudsSilverLinings.jpg

Progressive metal veterans DREAM THEATER have announced BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS as the title of their tenth studio album. The band commenced work on the album – their second for Roadrunner Records, following up 2007's Systematic Chaos — in October of last year.

Roadrunner will release the record on June 23. In addition to the standard version CD, the album will also be available on vinyl LP, as well as a three-disc Special Edition CD that will include the full album, a CD of instrumental mixes of the album and a CD of six cover songs, the titles of which will be revealed at a later date.

Six weeks prior to the June 23 street date, Roadrunner will release one cover song per week through digital retailers.

Drummer Mike Portnoy and guitarist John Petrucci are once again at the helm as producers, while Paul Northfield mixed the record.

The band will embark on a world tour in support of the album beginning in Europe throughout June which will be followed by the second edition of the band’s PROGRESSIVE NATION tour featuring Zappa Plays Zappa, Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish throughout North America in July/August.

A video for the first single, "A Rite of Passage" will be shot in late March.

The track listing for BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS is as follows:

1. A Nightmare to Remember

2. A Rite of Passage

3. Wither

4. The Shattered Fortress

5. The Best of Times

6. The Count of Tuscany

• 2 weeks later...

AWESOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnvy-WwtOcs...player_embedded

^ Clips from the album prepared by DT and played on the Eddie Trunk Show

Mike Portnoy described the album as "a DT album with 'A Change of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning to Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison'....all on one album..."[27] Jordan Rudess later explained, "...We've been entering into the Gothic domain quite a bit on this album. There's nothing like a really, really powerful and cool choir sound..."

Mike Portnoy was interviewed about the album on the Eddie Trunk Show prior to the clip being played, apperantly 4 of the 6 tracks are "Epic" in song length all of them being over 15 minutes from what the fan press release said about the radio interview, and 2 of the 6 tracks are shorter "able to fit on the radio" type tracks, assume anywhere from 3-5ish minutes but thats just me assuming. Makes me very excited to get ready for a true musical journey again, I dig all of DT's material some tracks or albums a good amount less than other high points in their career and writing, SC was an excellent record the things they tried that they haven't done before worked really well and rocked hard, but it did stand out as not feeling DT ish during these parts, I can totally dig the "A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, Learning to Live, Pull me Under (assuming thats one of the "Radio length comparisons", and The Glass Prison" all on one record comparison, while octavarium is DT's weakest album, the title track is really fucking good and the stand-out of that album, A change of seasons is their all time epic length swan song, Learning to Live was a song that caried me through seemingly half of my life and is in my opinion a absolute metal/rock/MUSIC classic that I feel should be on radio stations during the airplay of all the huge 80's / early 90's songs, Pull me Under is another classic (as is everything off Images and Words) which is the track that threw Dream Theater from relatively unknown to Gold record status via MTV's Headbangers Ball, and The Glass Prison is another instant classic that started the AA concept as the opener of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, that album came out when I was 12 years old (fuck 8 years ago?! time flies) and I remember listening to that song specifically as it was so fucking ballsy, metal, and proggy having insane changes and solos.

Didn't mean to ramble on about what the songs are as I know most people reading this thread have heard all of them, but I'm listing things that Portnoy obviously would have had to list as well to make the comparisons, usually he'll compare the album to an older DT record in overall mood / compare it to a classic metal / prog album or "I haven't had this much fun since awake recording an album" as he was qouted during the recording of Systematic Chaos, saying that has nothing to do with it being like awake but just having a good time.. for him to state that its like having these 5 tracks all on one album makes me feel confident that himself and the band really feel this as well and has a fucking killer writing period and recording session that they must have felt overwhelmingly confident in the material, for a band that gets tremendously bigger every album and every tour being seen in the publics eyes greatly now, more so than back when Pull Me Under went gold (because the public has expectations now), every music store caries endorsed items, many have posters of portnoy in their drum area or Petrucci in the guitar area, expectations are un-fair in terms of how high they are set, huge pressure on a band and they're artistic flow. I don't believe a press release comparing songs to they're classic material would be released unless they felt this to be true with confidence. For that reason I am highly confident.

DT is not a band that needs to push for mainstream sales anymore as they had pressure to do during Falling into Infinity due to Awake selling under Gold which was under expectations of the label due to Images and Words sale numbers. The battled with it after the huge praise and sales of Scenes From a Memory, saw huge exposure again after this album, continued with Six Degrees, They're heaviest album Train of Thought in my opinion is a 10/10 masterpiece of Progressive Metal and Heavy Metal in general; that album screamed at people to crank it up and dig into it, it always had infectious grooves and riffage with endless complex and interesting keyboard / guitar riffs / drumming and vocal melodies flowing through it. I feel they felt they needed to conform a little with the modern music world while writing octavarium but still stuck on the fantastic epic track to keep the long time fans happy, which overall made a good album but not a DT album. Systematic Chaos was a wonderful return to artistic evolution with a balanced blend of older DT style guitar and keyboard solos along with song structure, ballsy metal, great harmonies and vocal melodies, fresh vocal writing, I can only see MASTERPIECE from this album. Maybe because I am a closed minded prog fan, a snobby over-zealous Dream Theater fan, but most likely because I just have a really genuine feeling.

ROCK ON

The vibe on the cd is often alot better, especially New Millenium with awesome Chap. Stick grooves, Hells Kitchen rules, Hollow Years, Lines In The Sand, Burning My Soul and Trial of Tears (I especially love Trial of Tears)

Songs that suck #1 You Not Me (Elektra had such control over the CD that this was the point DT according to portnoy and petrucci was on the verge of breaking up, this song Elektra brought in Desmond Child to write the lyrics and other ass-hats to structure the riffs DT wrote the way it was most profitable as a single, which luckily back-fired or else the record company would have most likely gotten more power hungry.. they fought hard about having someone write lyrics but lost the battle)

#2 Anna Lee (Sappy, is okay to listen to but blah as a DT ballad, sounds like an ass ballad some shit band would put out that makes middle aged women cry)

#3 Just Let Me Breathe (It has moments that kind of rock out but overall is LAME)

Good tracks #1 Peruvian Skies (Really love the instrumental writing and the way Labrie sings on this track, has become a frequent live track and is always really awesome live)

#2 Take Away My Pain (Really catchy and written for a good reason for Portnoys father)

Now if you take out the three shitty songs which equal about 15 minutes and replace it with one of Dream Theaters BEST FUCKING SONGS that was written during the Falling Into Infinity sessions but denied by Elektra the song 'Raise The Knife' is absolutely amazing, and If I remember correctly is about 12:00 minutes long so it would only be a 3 minute scrape off the CD and the quality would be SO much higher as a straight listen through.

Its tough to really say which CD is better as these are the two weakest DT cd's FII and Octavarium, they both have a totally unique feel to them of which is evident from start to finish of the cd's, Octavarium is most certainly more consistant in terms of listenability as their is only one shitty track, three tracks I love and the rest that are "Good". Octavarium is a better overall listen through but the strong material on FII I feel is stronger than the strong material on Octavarium.. just my opinion.

Yeah I might have to agree too. I mean to be perfectly honest I fucking love both FII and Octavarium but a couple of songs on FII are imperfect and the demo versions are a lot better whereas Octavarium feels much more like a Dream Theater album without any outside influence to me.

that's how I feel as well. It's not to say FII isnt an awesome album, but I just dont think it stands up to Ocatavarium really, when it comes down to it. Octavarium just feels more...complete I guess, to me anyway, than FII does

• 2 weeks later...

mms://195.245.168.21/rtpfiles/audio/wavrss/at3/310194_44243-0904170033.wma

Goto 13:57 minute mark on the stream to hear the track "A Nightmare to Remember"

mms://195.245.168.21/rtpfiles/audio/wavrss/at3/310195_44244-0904170033.wma

goto 15:30ish for "Rite of Passage"

Totally awesome, new DT album is going to be fucking epic. the stream doesn't do it justice for sure, but loving the super heavy sound, spooky organ, great mix, totally metal vocals with awesome back ups.

Portnoy is insane via drums.

A Nightmare to Remember 14:45

A Rite of Passage 8:29

Two of the Six total tracks off of the album leaked, supposdly its going to push near 80 minutes so the others songs I assume will be around 14ish minutes with a 20-30 minute epic. I love the acoustic interludes, the great use of old-school DT organ and all the new rudess continuum effects.

HEAVY. MELODIC. CATCHY. Great return for DT.

these two songs I have leaked in Prior to Post Production EQ format (but fully mixed and produced) it was also ripped from a steam it is still very listenable.

This album steems to be the heaviest DT album ever (heaveir than DT) but with groovier riffs and crazy synths. Petrucci has the best tone he has ever had, Portnoys drums are incred, Labrie sounds awesome, Rudess decides to do some more Kevin Moore style OSI / Chroma Key solos along with his virtiouso solo's (Bits and Clips chopped in synth patches all over randomly in key)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CEX1XQ7I

Final song lengths have been confirmed:

1. A Nightmare to Remember 16:10

2. A Rite of Passage 08:35

3. Wither 05:25

4. The Shattered Fortress 12:49

5. The Best of Times 13:07

6. The Count of Tuscany 19:16

Total playing time: 01:15:22

So many epics... I'm so fucking excited about this album.

I am going to have to get the three disc set. I am very curious of the cover songs and the instrumental remixes. And as for The Count of Tuscany? I keep picturing James LaBrie in some sort of Phantom of the Opera getup looking out over a grape orchard.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the cover songs have been announced thanks to a preorder listing at DeepDiscount.com

1. Rainbow- Stargazer

2. Queen- Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley

3. Dixie Dregs- Odyssey

4. Zebra- Take Your Fingers From My Hair

5. King Crimson- Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two

6. Iron Maiden- To Tame a Land

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.ht...ductId=69376431

holy fucking shit, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Rainbow and Queen?

I just jizzed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mscgEIjlFeA

^ best DT music video ever IMO.

also.. check demonoid. album leaked for real im going to be listening to it soon.

The lyrics for the album were written by John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy; with the exception of "A Rite of Passage" each song is about a personal experience.[8]

A Nightmare to Remember

According to Rich Wilson, "A Nightmare to Remember" includes solos from Petrucci and Rudess in addition to multiple time signature changes.[9] Petrucci wrote the lyrics about a car accident he was involved in as a child.[8]

A Rite of Passage

"A Rite of Passage" involves Freemasonry and secret societies.[6] "A Rite of Passage" was the album's first single; it was available for free download through Roadrunner Record's website for one day in May.[10] Its music video—also the first of the album—debuted on May 8.[11]

Wither

Petrucci wrote "Wither" about writer's block.[8] Wilson compared the song to "Vacant" from Train of Thought.[9] It is said to be the second single from the album.

The Shattered Fortress

"The Shattered Fortress" is the final part of Portnoy's Twelve-step Suite. The song includes motifs from past songs in the saga.[9]

The Best of Times

"The Best of Times" is about Mike Portnoy's father, who died due to cancer. "I just wanted to write something that was a tribute to our life together," said Portnoy, who played the song for his father prior to his death.[12]

The Count of Tuscany

As the album's longest track, Wilson calls "The Count of Tuscany" "the monster", comparing it to "A Change of Seasons" and cited Pink Floyd as a possible influence.[9] Petrucci wrote the lyrics about a count that frightened him while he visited Tuscany.[8]

--

supposdly on the leak the first track isnt fully mastered but the rest are im listening now. this is some of the best shit ive heard in ages. it in 128 mp3 which blows but the album is better / heavier than train of thought beset since scenes

Trust me this is not a systematic chaos or an octavarium everything flows in the same feel in the way of Scenes or Train of Thought or awake and its incredible.

although the verses of The Best of Times sounds like rush vocally which is not a bad thing at all. Its the sappy song which still totally rocks out and has insane parts its about portnoys dead dad

• 4 weeks later...