Accelerated Evolution

Ammiano wants to make marijuana legal in California

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...itics&tsp=1

(02-23) 17:50 PST SACRAMENTO -- California would become the first state in the nation to legalize marijuana for recreational use under a bill introduced Monday by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano of San Francisco.

The proposal would regulate marijuana like alcohol, with people over 21 years old allowed to grow, buy, sell and possess cannabis - all of which is barred by federal law.

Ammiano, a Democrat in his third month as a state lawmaker, said taxes and other fees associated with regulation could put more than a billion dollars a year into state coffers at a time when revenues continue to decline.

He said he thinks the federal government could soften its stance on marijuana under the Obama administration.

"We could in fact have the political will to do something, and certainly in the meantime this is a public policy call and I think it's worth the discussion," Ammiano said. "I think the outcome would be very healthy for California and California's economy."

A spokeswoman for the Drug Enforcement Agency in Washington, D.C., declined to comment on the proposal. A White House spokesman referred to a statement on a question-and-answer section of an Obama transition team blog that says the president "is not in favor of the legalization of marijuana."

While Californians have shown some tolerance for marijuana, such as use for medical conditions with voters' passage of Proposition 215 in 1996, the proposal will face tough opposition in Sacramento.

A lobbyist for key police associations in the state called it "a bad idea whose time has not come."

"The last thing our society needs is yet more legal intoxicants," said John Lovell, who represents the California Peace Officers' Association, California Police Chiefs Association and California Narcotic Officers' Association. "We've got enough social problems now when people aren't in charge of all five of their senses."

But Ammiano's proposal has the support of San Francisco Sheriff Michael Hennessey, who said the idea "should be the subject of legislative and public debate."

It also has the backing of Betty Yee, who chairs the state Board of Equalization, which collects taxes in California. An analysis by the agency concluded the state would collect $1.3 billion a year in tax revenue and a $50-an-ounce levy on retail sales if marijuana were legal.

The analysis also concluded that legalizing marijuana would drop its street value by 50 percent and increase consumption of the substance by 40 percent.

A spokesman for the Marijuana Policy Project, which advocates for reform in marijuana laws and is backing Ammiano's proposal, said any expected increase in consumption is a "false notion."

"They are making an intuitive assumption that a lot of people make that really does not have that much evidence behind it," said Bruce Mirken, the group's spokesman, who predicted it could take up to two years before the idea wins legislative approval.

"Don't tell me that doing something like (this) proposal is going to introduce another drug into society. That's a load of bull."

I didn't notice this until now. Huh, something good out of that state.

Why would anyone buy marijuana if you could just grow it and if you didn't you'd have like 10 friends who had huge pot gardens.

No one would buy that shit.

I doubt they would let you grow it since that's not taxable. Sorta like you can't just distill your own liquor. Most likely it's going to be a licensed activity.

Even if they did, you can grow your own tomatoes and yet I still buy them at a store. Plus growing things is a bitch, if it sucks you don't have a receipt, there's no quality control, and a myriad of other reasons.

Laziness is the markets best friend.

I doubt they would let you grow it. Sorta like you can't just distill your own liquor.

Even if they did, you can grow your own tomatoes and yet I still buy them at a store. Plus growing things is a bitch, if it sucks you don't have a receipt, there's no quality control, and a myriad of other reasons.

Laziness is the markets best friend.

You can absolutely distill your own liquor, you just can't sell it without proper licensing.

Pot is easy as shit to grow; they call it "weed" for a reason. Now, to get good buds and a good yield, that takes a bit more work and a good deal of science. If they decided to decriminalize it they would have to let people grow it. Trying to regulate what people do on their own private property is doomed to failure.

That said, there certain as shit would be a healthy market for marijuana distribution in California. Hell, no one can argue that there already isn't one, and its about time that the government stop throwing money away in an un-winnable war and start making some of it.

You can absolutely distill your own liquor, you just can't sell it without proper licensing.

Really? Thought you can only distill beer.

Edit: Yeah, everything I'm reading says home distilling of liquor is illegal in the US. Although it's primarily for health concerns, weed wouldn't have that issue. Although I still wouldn't be surprised if they said no growing.

Really? Thought you can only distill beer.

Edit: Yeah, everything I'm reading says home distilling of liquor is illegal in the US. Although it's primarily for health concerns, weed wouldn't have that issue. Although I still wouldn't be surprised if they said no growing.

Michigan already allows people to grow for medical reasons... :-\

All I'm saying is a no-grow law would be hard as hell to enforce if you've already decriminalized possession.

The proposal would regulate marijuana like alcohol, with people over 21 years old allowed to grow, buy, sell and possess cannabis - all of which is barred by federal law.

I'd grow that shit if it was legal. The only reason I'm not already is I'm too wary of getting the seeds mailed directly to my house.

Needless to say, I'm in favor of this. Why are we letting criminals profit off of weed when we could have society profiting off of it? Don't make no sense to keep it illegal. Anyway, everyone in California smokes anyway. My friend got a "Green Card" (medical marijuana card) after complaining about "back trouble." The way I heard it, almost any doctor in California will give you a card for basically any reason.

Its actually really easy if you have the resources, tis also pretty easy to make clean liqour, just make sure all your shit is sterile, the end.

Its actually really easy if you have the resources, tis also pretty easy to make clean liqour, just make sure all your shit is sterile, the end.

I'm willing to bet all that legislation predates modern serialization techniques.

Is it just me, or its about time we "defrag" our legal system?

Pot is easy as shit to grow; they call it "weed" for a reason. Now, to get good buds and a good yield, that takes a bit more work and a good deal of science.

I won't smoke anything I'd be able to grow and most of my friends are the same so there'd still be plenty of market here.

Any homegrown I've gotten for free I've still ended up giving away. It sucked.

I won't smoke anything I'd be able to grow and most of my friends are the same so there'd still be plenty of market here.

Any homegrown I've gotten for free I've still ended up giving away. It sucked.

Umm... I'm sorry that you would accept pot from somebody who was too lazy to grow something worthwhile. There really isn't any other excuse for growing poor quality cannabis, this is the 21st Century, the information is out there.

Umm... I'm sorry that you would accept pot from somebody who was too lazy to grow something worthwhile. There really isn't any other excuse for growing poor quality cannabis, this is the 21st Century, the information is out there.

Both people put a lot of effort in it to be fair. Not to say they still couldn't be lazy at times and possibly on other substances, but I'd be lying if I said I thought I could do better. I have no green thumb! No pun intentended. :laugh:

They had a library just of books and printouts...

It was still better than middies, but not nearly comparable to skunk.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-henry-...tml?view=screen

Mexican Drug Lord Officially Thanks American Lawmakers for Keeping Drugs Illegal

Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman Loera reported head of the Sinaloa cartel in Mexico, ranked 701st on Forbes' yearly report of the wealthiest men alive, and worth an estimated $1 billion, today officially thanked United States politicians for making sure that drugs remain illegal. According to one of his closest confidants, he said, "I couldn't have gotten so stinking rich without George Bush, George Bush Jr., Ronald Reagan, even El Presidente Obama, none of them have the cajones to stand up to all the big money that wants to keep this stuff illegal. From the bottom of my heart, I want to say, Gracias amigos, I owe my whole empire to you."

According to sources in the Mexican government, President Calderon is begging American officials to, in the words of reggae great Peter Tosh, legalize it. "Oh yeah," said an official close to the Mexican president, "Felipe is going crazy. He's screaming at everybody who comes in, 'Why don't they make this sh*t legal already! You're killing me here!' Look, everyone knows, when you have Prohibition, you create gangsters. And the more you prohibit, the more gangsters you make. El Chapo is hero now to all those slumdogs who want to be millionaires. Kids in the street, when they play games, they all want to be El Chapo, the baddest man in the whole damn town."

Meanwhile, many speculate that rich and prominent Mexican families are in cahoots with American businessmen in the alcohol industry, wealthy industrialists who launder the unprecedented profits from the drug business with their legitimate enterprises, and lawmakers who get gigantic kickbacks and payoffs to make sure that these drugs remain illegal, so they can remain rich, fat and happy. According to sources on both sides of the border, tens of millions of dollars in payoffs and kickbacks are stashed in Swiss banks every year, blood money from the brutal business made possible by a corrupt system supported by laws that don't, and have never, worked.

Rather than putting El Chapo and his kind out of business by modernizing outdated laws and in the process making billions of dollars from taxing drugs (as is done with cigarettes and alcohol), United States government has spent hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars chasing its tail, and offered a $5 million reward for the capture of El Chapo. Many have said that the offer is unofficially: Dead or Alive.

Meanwhile, as an epidemic of murderous violence rages on the Mexican-US border, and the American government wastes boatloads of badly needed money on the illegal drug business which results from the Prohibition laws, El Chapo is laughing all the way to the bank. "Whoever came up with this whole War on Drugs," one of his lieutenants reports he said, "I would like to kiss him on the lips and shake his hand and buy him dinner with caviar and champagne. The War on Drugs is the greatest thing that ever happened to me, and the day they decide to end that war, will be a sad one for me and all of my closest friends. And if you don't believe me, ask those guys whose heads showed up in the ice chests."