Accelerated Evolution

Modding a 360 controller

Ikari Warrior

My proposal: Open an xbox360 controller and a ps1 controller, and swap the D-pads

My reason: I cannot play fighting games on a 360 d-pad, but the rest of the controller is just fine!

My question: is this really feasible? I am certain I'm going to run into issues, like difference in d-pad size, but I think it's a worthwhile project if I can figure out really how to do it!

Has anyone here or elsewhere online attempted this? It seems like a simple enough operation, but I haven't opened up my 360 pad yet (expensive controller is expensive) so I don't want to break something I can't potentially fix, and I don't want to go into this project half-cocked.

Thanks in advance for help/suggestions!

edit: I found this: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Fix-th...ontrol-pad-mor/

What about getting an off-brand controller? I have a Mad Catz one, and the D-pad seems to work OK. I don't have a real 360 controller on hand to compare it to, but the other buttons are definitely more clicky than the standard one. The D-pad is still total balls compared to the Playstation controllers though. (Why cannot more PSP games use the D-pad instead of the horrid joystick!? Rage rage rage.)

What about getting an off-brand controller? I have a Mad Catz one, and the D-pad seems to work OK. I don't have a real 360 controller on hand to compare it to, but the other buttons are definitely more clicky than the standard one.

I was considering that, particularly since a Mad Catz controller is about $25 used. I wasn't sure how well it'd work, and I didn't want to spend the money on another controller unless I knew it'd solve my problem...on the same token I didn't want to open one of my works-perfectly-well controllers. Part of the reason for me making this thread was indecision, lol.

The D-pad is still total balls compared to the Playstation controllers though. (Why cannot more PSP games use the D-pad instead of the horrid joystick!? Rage rage rage.)

I hear ya, man. I hardly play my PSP at all because I'm afraid of destroying that tiny little nub.

Won't work. There is no d-pad in the 360 controller. It's actually another analog stick with a D-pad slapped on top.

No, the 360 dpad is an actual digital pad. No analog potentiometers involved in that thing at all. It is designed with the hourglass shape of an analog stick, but you should theoretically be able to install any other d-pad from any other controller (as long as it uses the old push-this-down-and-the-circuit-completes mechanic) and it would work.

Small mods like the one you linked to do work to some extent. But the only way to get your 360 dpad to feel just like the ps1 dpad would require a much larger-scale mod... and at that point, you might as well just buy an arcade stick or build a custom yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

i would take out the whole housing and put in a whole new D-pad system, I think 360 controllers have the same voltages etc etc that USB controllers do ( i know the Xbox controllers were basically USB with different ends.)

All in all i wouldn't even bother, i hate almost everything about 360 controllers, they're shittier than last generation's.

No, the 360 dpad is an actual digital pad. No analog potentiometers involved in that thing at all. It is designed with the hourglass shape of an analog stick, but you should theoretically be able to install any other d-pad from any other controller (as long as it uses the old push-this-down-and-the-circuit-completes mechanic) and it would work.

Really? I took one apart to clean it a few weeks ago and it was an analogue nub. It was a launch controller, though.