Accelerated Evolution

Games That Need To Stop Trying

Sonic the Hedgehog: Seriously, this guy used to be epic. After he went 3D, he has two pretty good games and a Mario Party knockoff )which I admit I had fun with) and then decided to suck forever. I'll admit that I haven't played any of the GBA or DS titles (aside from a brief playing of one of the Sonic Advance games my girlfriend owns where the controls kinda sucked), but really, he needs to go back to the Genesis days. Who's with me?

Megaman: Say what you want about the games, I'm just sick of the current character(s). I miss when it was just Dr. Light, Roll, Megaman and Rush. The concept was simple: Megaman beat robots, gains power and fights Dr. Wily. Now we've got Megaman as some kind of Tamagatchi that goes into the Internet and fights other Tamagatchis with some kind of chips that somehow are not easily copy-and-pastable so you have to buy them or something. I know that was the previous Megaman, and now he's something slightly different, but I still miss the good Megaman.

Anybody got any other ones? Also, don't miss my other thread!

Sounds like you just want the Battle Network and Star Force/ZN series to go away in the Mega Man line. Battle Network's been finished off since Star Force came out and Star Force 3 did terribly for Capcom so they're (supposedly) scrapping that series as well. Far as the other series go they've been pretty damn good. ZX Advent and MM9 were two of my favorite games last year.

But for series that need to stop or either retool themselves, all that comes to mind recently is Dynasty Warriors. It changes almost absolutely nothing from the previous game and recycles a whole shit load of animation and cutscenes. And this probably doesn't count, but all the Guitar Hero and Rock Band spin-offs that could easily be a bunch of DLC packages rather then a retail disc for $60.

But both of them are going to sell in droves, so it's not going to matter in the long run anyway.

Sounds like you just want the Battle Network and Star Force/ZN series to go away in the Mega Man line. Battle Network's been finished off since Star Force came out and Star Force 3 did terribly for Capcom so they're (supposedly) scrapping that series as well. Far as the other series go they've been pretty damn good. ZX Advent and MM9 were two of my favorite games last year.

I agree. Mega Man Zero was great. ZX was tough, but fun. Never played Advent. Battle Network (the first one) was a lot of fun, but I got tired of it near the end, and then it spawned over and over in pokemon-esque style. Star Force is just battle network in 3D, that's nothing for Capcom to be proud of.

But for series that need to stop or either retool themselves, all that comes to mind recently is Dynasty Warriors. It changes almost absolutely nothing from the previous game and recycles a whole shit load of animation and cutscenes.

The irony here is that Dynasty Warriors 6 changed a lot of that, and everyone hated it, lol.

And this probably doesn't count, but all the Guitar Hero and Rock Band spin-offs that could easily be a bunch of DLC packages rather then a retail disc for $60.

I can agree with this. Guitar Hero Metallica is fun, but I would have almost preferred six $10 DLC packs.

Indeed, the original Mega Man series is pretty much all we need. Mega Man X has been screwed over too many times since X4.

X5 - too easy

X6 - too hard

X7 - too crappy

X8 - even crappier

I think I'm going to have to agree here.

Mega Man 9 was alright, but we need an epic Mega Man 8 style return to form, or at least that Protoman spin-off that always seemed inevitable.

All I want is a Mega Man or Mega Man X game that has two player co-op. After nearly 20 years of this franchise, you'd think they'd make it co-op! I don't mean power battles/fighters, either. I mean a full-fledged 8-boss (minimum) mega man or mega man X game where two players get to double-team a maverick, and mow down a level, too. That's the next logical step for the franchise, and I'll be one happy camper when they finally make that realization.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band spin-offs that could easily be a bunch of DLC packages rather then a retail disc for $60.

I like the fact I have a physical copy of the game rather than downloaded content in the harddrive, but that's just me.

Megaman really does have to return to the series' roots (though in all honesty I DID have fun with a few of the battle network games).

I'm fucking tired of the god damn Mario Party series. IT HASN'T BEEN GOOD SINCE MARIO PARTY 3.

Sonic really needs to return to its roots as well.

X7 - too crappy

X8 - even crappier

Really? I completely agree that 7 was garbage and the most forgettable in the series, but I thought 8 was fantastic. They stuck with mostly 2D, had some memorable boss fights, an epic final fight, and made Axl worth playing with. X also had a decent voice actor instead of that crazy Jamaican sounding one they put up in 7, and made him less of a hippy.

Megaman really does have to return to the series' roots (though in all honesty I DID have fun with a few of the battle network games).

Artie, did you to play me-me-me-mega, Mega Man 9?

Really? I completely agree that 7 was garbage and the most forgettable in the series, but I thought 8 was fantastic.

I wanted to like X8, I really did. I amend my statement to say that X8 is less crappy than X7, but still not enjoyable. It is that damnable level design. The original guy who made Mega Man stopped at X5, and man does it ever show in the level design. X6 had frustrating, difficult level design, but almost -if not every- level had a branching path. That was a neat idea that worked pretty well, IMO.

X7 we agree is garbage. I threw my controller down in disgust and took it back to the store (thankfully bought it used and got a refund). X7 is the first and only game where I've thrown my controller to the ground in utter disgust. I've done it many times before in anger, frustration, but never in disgust, and never did I think it'd be with Mega Man.

I never played enough of X8 to deem it enjoyable. I kept dying on spikes and bottomless pits. For absolutely no reason, they decided to ramp up the difficulty level of Mega Man X after X5. They were probably thinking, "These kids have been playing Mega man since the 80s, they need HARDER games!" Granted, X5 was so easy that it was a joke, but somewhere along the line, they lost sight of the challenge/fun balance that was X1-4.